Missing Civilizations

You probably should be waiting for a Quebecois or English Canadian for a healthy comment, otherwise it's a rare thing to find a Quebec expert. :)

I'm no expert, but I have been reading a book about Canadian history lately. I am up to the point where the English capture Quebec in 1759.

An idea. Perhaps add Louisbourg to the city list, as a tribute to Quebec's colonial past.

And another UU suggestion: Compaignes Franche de Marine. They were a major part of the Quebecois army during the 1700's, until the English conquest. Give it Gity Garrison I and Woodsman I to start. At the Plains of Abraham Montcalm had 2,200 regulars and 1,500 Compaignes Franche de Marine, and they were the garrison for many of the towns in Quebec, so they were quite common.

SuperBeaverInc. said:
I'm no expert, but I have been reading a book about Canadian history lately. I am up to the point where the English capture Quebec in 1759.

An idea. Perhaps add Louisbourg to the city list, as a tribute to Quebec's colonial past.

And another UU suggestion: Compaignes Franche de Marine. They were a major part of the Quebecois army during the 1700's, until the English conquest. Give it Gity Garrison I and Woodsman I to start. At the Plains of Abraham Montcalm had 2,200 regulars and 1,500 Compaignes Franche de Marine, and they were the garrison for many of the towns in Quebec, so they were quite common.

K, thanks for the input... and for the Compaignes Franche de Marine, were they canadian troops or french troops that were sent to canada to defend New-France? 'Cause i'm trying to represent it as a civ, not a colony, and the UU should be one of their own. Anyways, thnaks for the input.

PS: Yeah, i'm follwing a Québec history class (has a little bit of canada too...), and i' exactly at the part were New-France is given to the british... what a coincidence... I might add Louisburg... unless another civ uses it... i'll look into that...

From the book I have:
"The Compagnies Franches de la Marine garrisoned the towns of New France with officers of the Canadian aristocracy and recruits from France, and built the fur-trade forts that carried French power as far west as the Canadian prairies."

As far as UUs go, I doubt you are going to find a unit to represent the civ. Best you can hope for are colonial units, as Quebec has never had it's own military.

SuperBeaverInc. said:
From the book I have:
"The Compagnies Franches de la Marine garrisoned the towns of New France with officers of the Canadian aristocracy and recruits from France, and built the fur-trade forts that carried French power as far west as the Canadian prairies."

As far as UUs go, I doubt you are going to find a unit to represent the civ. Best you can hope for are colonial units, as Quebec has never had it's own military.

Yeah, aiming for canadian-born UUs that did something or tried something for Québec... anyways, can't wait to get my hands on a copy of the game and to understand xml to make a mod with them :)

Scots/Scotland
Starting Technologies: Mysticism, Hunting

Leaders: Robert the Bruce (Aggressive, Spiritual) [Civic: Nationhood]
Mary Stuart [Queen of Scots] (Spiritual, Creative) [Civic: Hereditary Rule]

Unique Unit: Highlanders

Flag: White X on Blue Background, or a Thistle on a blue Background

Phrophets: Saint Mungo
John Knox
William Robinson Clark
Saint Andrew

Great Artists: Sean Connery
Hamish MacCunn
David Wilkie
Alexander Naysmith
Patrick Naysmith
Robbie Burns
Lulu

Great Scientist: James Watt
Thomas Reid
David Gill
Robert Watson-Watt
Thomas Henderson
Robert Brown
Alexander Anderson

Great Engineers: James Naysmith
William Thomson
John McAdam
Thomas Telford
William Murdoch
Alexander Graham Bell

Great Merchant: Adam Smith
John Law
Arthur Anderson
William Paterson
Dr. Henry Duncan
William Paterson
Glasgow
Edinburgh
Aberdeen
Dundee
Dumfries
Ayr
Melrose
Kirkcaldy
Inverness
Stornoway
Arbroath
Stranraer
Perth
Wick
Grangemouth
Scone

Also, has anybody thought about putting Churchill in as a "English" leader?

Great, it's cool to have Scots as a seperate civilization. :) So we can take them out of the Celtic one, as it makes it very complicated.

Civilization : Brazil

Leader : Dom Pedro II (Expansive and Creative); Getúlio Vargas (Aggressive and Industrious)

Starting Researches: Mysticism and Agriculture

Capital : Salvador (was the first one), Rio de Janeiro (the 2nd) and Brasília (our capital, today) - Whats the best choice???

Flag : http://www.corante.com/mooreslore/archives/images/brazil%20flag.gif
Starting Techs : Agriculture, Archery

Great Scientists : Oswaldo Cruz; Carlos Chagas; César Lattes; José Leite Lopes

Great Merchants : Roberto Marinho; Assis Chateaubriand

Great Prophets : Helder Camara; Padre Cìcero, Irmã Dulce; Chico Xavier

Great Artists : Candido Portinari; Alfredo Volpi; Tarcila do Amaral; Tom Jobim;

Great Engineers : Lucio Costa; Oscar Niemeyer; Santos Dummont

Unique Unit : Like CivArmy s. 1994 said: Cascavel (light armored combat vehicle); Bandeirante (Combating Explorer Unit, perhaps with bonus against barbarians); i had another idea: Osório (Modern Battle Tank) since we we have almost no modern unique unit.

Cities :
São Paulo
São Luis
Belo Horizonte
Fortaleza
Curitiba
Manaus
Recife
Porto Alegre
Belém
Rio Branco
Boa Vista
Aracajú
Natal
Campo Grande
Cuiabá
Florianópolis
Porto Velho
Palmas
Vitória
Teresina
And the other 2 cities on the capital list

Ps: I have edited Initials J.A. post, since it had some wrong info and etc.

kiwusek said:
Civilization : Poland

Leader : #1 Kazimierz Wielki (Casimir The Great)
-Industrialist
-Scientific
#2 Jozef Pilsudski (Joseph Pilsudski)
-Militaristic
-Expansionist

Capital : Krakow or Warszawa

Flag : Should be the national Symbol (A crowned white eagle on a red shield)

Great Scientists : Marja Sklodowska-Curie

Great Merchants :

Great Prophets : Karol Wojtyla (Pope John Paul II)

Great Artists : Jan Matejko

Great Engineers : Tadeusz Sendzimir

Unique Unit : Polish Hussaria (sidenote: Wings are attached to the horse not the rider)

Cities :

Gniezno
Krakow (if not the Capital)

Martinus said:
Good choices there, but I don't think Casimir should be Industrious and Philosophical, since it's the only trait combo left out due to being overpowered.

I propose making him Industrious and Creative (culture).

I also think that Jan III Sobieski might be a better leader the Jozef Pilsudski,
or perhaps that he should be an additional leader. Certainly there should be a leader from the 16th or 17th century.

Also, alternate choices for great scientists: Copenicus or Banach(properly a mathematician).

Great merchants could be kings that were inclined to trade but I don't know polish history enough to give good example. For lack of anything better the Wazas could be merchants, as their shield incorporates grain.

Also I feel that there are many better choices for great artists: Kochanowski, Mickiewicz, Chopin for example.

I wouldnt say they are missing its just hardly any room for all that on HUGE EARTH WORLD. Anyway cant just add America at the beginning of 4000bc. Only things is missing is the nomads, clans and well the Neanderthals gotta have those at the beginning.

Then form a new nation depend on the situations... like america was from from english back in the revolution war.

So if the cities are revolting they should form there own nations like the barbarians. For Earth Scenarios are pretty much impossible to bring up with all those minor civs in places if you wanted to make it like back in time in real life as much as possible.

i don't want to spoil the fun, but the great people aren't bound to the civ your playing with. almost every time i'm playing i get mozes as the first GP. I had this also with some chinese/japanese GP's (don't know their names) who i got when playing with the english or something. but it's still a good idea to add some more GP's to the game, because it happened more than once that the system was out of GP's and i only got great scientists that were called great scientist :p.

Perhaps someone will mod the great people to be bound to civs. It shouldn't be too hard :) . Either way, it doesn't hurt and it's interesting to see different civs' great people.

If you're going to add the Confederacy, you might as well add...

Civilization: The Northeast Corridor
Leaders: Peter Stuyvesant (Fin, Exp), prefers Mercantalism
Alexander Hamilton (Fin, Ind), prefers Free Market
John F. Kennedy (Ind, Sci), prefers Universal Suffrage
Flag: Red cross on white background with pine tree in top-left corner (flag of colonial New England, should probably be something else, though)
Great Scientists: Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Edison, Jonas Salk, Thomas Francis.
Great Merchants: J.P. Morgan, John Rockerfeller, Myer Lansky, Donald Trump, Steven Wynn.
Great Artists: Mario Lanza, Marian Andersen, Frank Sinatra, Walt Whitman, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Biggie Smalls, The Three Stooges, Bugs Bunny.
Great Prophets: St. John Neumann, Al Sharpton.
Great Engineers:
Unique Unit:
Mobsters (replaces Spy):
Force Deal: Next deal with this civilization will be treated as though that civilization is "pleased" towards your own. After this deal, civilization's opinion of your own drops by 2.
Smuggle: Brings goods on tile to home civilization if the mobster can leave that civilization's borders without being detected.

or

Minuteman (replace Rifleman):
Strength:14
Movement: 1
Cost: 90
Starts with Woodsman I
First Strike
+25% vs. Gundpowder
Cities:
Philadelphia
New York
Boston
Baltimore
Washington
Miami
New Haven
Wilmington
Stamford
Newark
Lowell
Brockton
Providence
Trenton
Annapolis
Silver Springs
Chester
Camden
Yonkers
Jersey City
Atlantic City
New Brunswick
Hartford
Springfield
Worcester
Bristol
White Plains
Fort Lauterdale
Boca Raton
West Palm Beach

Regarding a mesage i received, I will add these to the Vikings. What do you think about them?
I think that you missing a leader called Harald Bluetooth, he was the
viking leader who united scandinavia, therefor i guess that his would be
organized and expansive.

Regarding to scientest I have some suggestions to... Niels Bohr, Ole
Rømer,

Regarding to prophet I have som suggestions to.... Saint Knud, Holy
Anders,

Regarding to engineers I have som suggestions to Gustav Larsson
(founded Volvo) Mads Clausen (founded Danfoss)

Regarding to merchant I have som suggestions to.... A.P. Møller
(founded Mearsk Sealand)

Haarbal said:
i don't want to spoil the fun, but the great people aren't bound to the civ your playing with. almost every time i'm playing i get mozes as the first GP. I had this also with some chinese/japanese GP's (don't know their names) who i got when playing with the english or something. but it's still a good idea to add some more GP's to the game, because it happened more than once that the system was out of GP's and i only got great scientists that were called great scientist :p.
The Database was released prior to the game's release and is intended to be a source of information for all modders who are looking for various data. There is already a mod with new great leaders added and it's only a matter of time to add great leaders according to their civilization. I have seen many mods already using the soures we are sharing here, so i would consider this a helpful project. :)

vladdy said:
Civilization : Serbia

Leader : Dusan

Capital : Belgrade

Flag : Red, Blue, White with 2-headed eagle

Starting Techs : Agriculture, Archery

Great Scientists : Nikola Tesla, Mihailo Pupin, Mileva Pavlovic (Albert Einstein's wife, great in physics herself, that he took most of his ideas from)

Great Merchants : Cirilo, Milutin, Nemanja,

Great Prophets : , Njegos, St. Sava, St. Nikola, St. Stefan

Great Artists : Zdravko Colic, Weird Al Yankovic :), Vlade Divac

Great Engineers : Ratko, Radovan, Momcilo

Unique Unit : Chetniks (guerilla that were fighting for king in WWII against both germans and communists)

Cities :

Belgrade (Capital)
Novi Sad
Nis
Podgorica
Banja Luka
Kragujevac
Sabac
Cacak
Trebinje
Srpsko Sarajevo
Subotica
Cetinje
Niksic
Vranje
Pristina (kosovo IS Serbia)
Smederevo
Zrenjanin
UZice
Kraljevo
Leskovac
Pirot
Budva
Zajecar
Negotin
Herceg novi
Pljevlja
Kos. Mitrovica
Kotor
Bor
Pancevo

Funny, the 2-headed flag the serbian country has recently adopted is a cheap rip-off of the Albanian flag that has been used for centuries.

Podgorica is not Serbian, it is one of the main cities of the northern Albanian highlands given to Montenegro by the "Great Powers of Europe" in 1878. It was a territorial acquisition by Montenegro only because Europe was interested in breaking up the Ottoman Empire... Albania had been under the Ottoman Empire for 5 centuries prior to that point, thus they were wrongfully construed as being Turkish.

Kosova is not Serbian either, the descendants of the Serbians began migrating to the Balkans from Ukraine around the 4th century AD. Their battles with the indigenous population (Illyrians) to gain ground indicates they were trying to take something that did not belong to them. Colonization occured, not only in Kosova but in the Albanian territories ceded to Montenegro, and the Slavs were able to establish a presence there to claim the land. However, the fact remains Kosova is 95% Albanian today, with Prishtina being its capital.

Interesting claim to fame, some of your ideas are valid and would serve to create a good Serbian civilization, but as for others, they are based on national myths created by the Serbian which have no fact to back them up.

Now that that's been said, I would like to take the time to introduce my Albanian civilization. It is currently in the works.

Leader: Gjergj Kastrioti

The author of the Albanian resistance against the Ottoman Empire, he was the leader of the 25 year rebellion against the Turks. On May 2, 1444 he united all Albanian princes, land barons and tribal chieftains at the principality of Lezhe in open rebellion against the occupation of the Ottoman armies. He managed to secure nominal support from the Venetian Republic, the Arogonese King of Naples, the kingdom of Spain, the Hungarians, and the Popes of the Holy Catholic Church, which gave him the title "Athleta Christi" (Athlete of Christendom).

The Albanians under Kastrioti's leadership were able to defeat the most powerful army in the world for 25 years, and kept them from setting foot in Catholic Western Europe. By using guerilla cavalry tactics, the fast, light Albanian horsemen were able to outrun Ottoman forces and cause chaos within enemy ranks, ensuring an easy slaughter and subsequently victory for the Albanians.

Upon Kastrioti's death in 1468, the Turks tore open his grave in search of his bones which they used as talismans upon believing they held mythical power. By 1480, Albania was conquered by the Ottoman Empire.

Gjergj Kastrioti's efforts were not in vain, however. As the father of the Albanian rebellion, Kastrioti was the only man in history ever to completely unite the Albanians. He was the author of the Albanian national existance, and his people even to this day say his name proudly as they raise the Albanian flag that he once raised to show the world that the Albanians desired freedom, and they would fight to get it.
Hehe, that's my current Civilopedia entry for Gjergj Kastrioti.

Link to my Albanian civ thread!

Viking Civ looks great, :goodjob: I can't wait to take them out pillaging -- alway remember kids, it's rape, pillage then burn.

Some off-the-wal thoughts on Canadian/Quebecios UU's:
Mounties could be a later age scout (no attack, but can kill defending) special abilities like woodsman and pinch promotions, but by mid to late game scouts are pretty useless (unless playing Terra), so how about a city defender? Still no attack, but starts with bonus for city defense and vs. gunpowder units. Excellent as units to accompany settlers since they allow settlers to use both of their 2 move.

Voyaguers could be workers with a move bonus in forest/jungle and (is this possible?) able to build improvements other than roads outside your civ's borders. Sure it's risky building that fur camp one square outside your borders since it could get snatched by another civ, but it'll be all ready when culture expands the city's domain.

BND527 said:
If you're going to add the Confederacy, you might as well add...

Civilization: The Northeast Corridor

I hate to ask this (since I live in the area), but what exactly is this? The Confederate States of America was a real country (even if only for 4 years). What is the Northeast Corridor?

I hate to ask this (since I live in the area), but what exactly is this? The Confederate States of America was a real country (even if only for 4 years). What is the Northeast Corridor?

I guess their talking about the culture area of the South East and the North East corridor is probably the New England region

Well, to the point

Civilization : The Mexicans

Leader : #1Benito Juarez (traits: Organized and Philosophical, Favors: Nationhood)
#2Lazaro Cardenas (traits: Philosophical and Financial. Favors: Emancipation)

Capital : Ciudad de Mexico Distrito Federal, or Mexico City Federal District (Mexico D.F.)

Flag : White Background and a Green Eagle on the Cactus (the center of the Mexican Flag)

Starting Techs : Agriculture and Mysticism

Great Scientists : -

Great Merchants : look at wikipedia there are many, the problem is I don't many

Great Prophets : Miguel Hidalgo, Jose Maria Morelos, Francisco I. Madero (more political than religous)

Great Artists : Diego Rivera, Salma Hayek, Octavio Paz, Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz

Great Engineers : -

Unique Unit : Insurgente (a defensive infantry unit, there is no real unit but it represents the men that rise up in defense of the homeland like Colonial minutemen

Cities :
Guadalajara
Monterey
Dolores
Toluca
Veracruz
Cancun
Mazatlan
Acapulco
Torreon
Culiacan
Tijuana