Missing .dll files in Vista

KennyCaphill

Chieftain
Hi folks!

I just upgraded to Vista and now I'm getting the missing MSVCP71.dll ans MSVCR71.dll files are missing. Any idea how I can correct?

Those are C++ runtime libraries. Vista seems to replace them for some reason (google them and you'll see lots of Vista users complaining about this problem with other programs). The issue is that distributors are supposed to distribute their own copy of said DLLs but many seem to rely on it being in the /system32 directory, which is unreliable.

You can either download it (google the file names, half the links will be to dll download sites, pick a safe looking one and virus scan it) or I think if you install .NET 2.0 or higher you should get it as part of that package.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/bb264589.aspx is the link to .NET 3.0 ... I think some versions of Vista come with this, but perhaps not all. Anyhow give that a shot, or just download the .dlls from wherever, there are a million places that offer .dll files for free.

It's also quite possible that a reinstall could fix the problem, the installer may check to verify the dll is there and then not install a local copy if it is.

For me, by the way, those two files are in the \Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\ directory [the same as the main EXE file]. You might want to verify that they're not there before doing anything else.

Hi Guys,

I just tried installing civ4 for the 1st time on my laptop (running vista home premium) and it gives me this error:

"C:\program files\firaxis games\sid meier's civilization 4\hapdbg.dll is either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support."

Now I reinstalled with the same issue.

Deleted hapdbg.dll and replaced it with the download provided from a link on this forum.

Updated from cd to v1.61.

Updated my video software (running on ati radeon xpress 200m series) 32 bit.

And I still have the same issue. Can anyone help with this problem?:cry:

Did you try installing it under XP compatibility (Or whatever Vista calls it), and make sure you're "run as administrator" the installer?

Did you try installing it under XP compatibility (Or whatever Vista calls it), and make sure you're "run as administrator" the installer?

No, but it didn't prompt me for a choice between xp and vista. But just in case I'm making no sense here, lem me try to reinstall in xp compatability mode.

I'll get back to ya.

If that doesn't fix it, I don't have any other suggestions for you ... it's possible the hapdbg.dll file you dl'ed was for the wrong patch of Civ4 (don't know if this is a dll file that changes ver-to-ver or not), and it's possible you have some other problem that is being shown as this problem when it's not really this problem. I know that the "memory patch" that someone or another was working on encountered this error, is that where you got the dll file from?

If that doesn't fix it, I don't have any other suggestions for you ... it's possible the hapdbg.dll file you dl'ed was for the wrong patch of Civ4 (don't know if this is a dll file that changes ver-to-ver or not), and it's possible you have some other problem that is being shown as this problem when it's not really this problem. I know that the "memory patch" that someone or another was working on encountered this error, is that where you got the dll file from?

Yeah that's exactly where I got it from but their issue was that it was completely missing. So I figured it would work if I just replaced it. I just uninstalled civ 4 and I'm about to reinstall but looking for the prompt for xp compatability mode....

I honestly don't know it exists, I have heard it referred to so am assuming it does (similar to xp's 95/98 compat mode).

"Run as administrator" is definitely important on some machines, that much I'm sure.

This just makes me glad I'm waiting for 6mo before buying/installing Vista :)

I honestly don't know it exists, I have heard it referred to so am assuming it does (similar to xp's 95/98 compat mode).

"Run as administrator" is definitely important on some machines, that much I'm sure.

This just makes me glad I'm waiting for 6mo before buying/installing Vista :)

LOL. You know its really not that bad. I find it way easier to network and had installed another game RON Thrones and Patriots with no problems at all. As a matter of fact, Heroes III runs fine as well.

Come to think of it, neither game prompted me for an compatability mode. Mmm...

Well, in XP there's no prompt, you just have to edit the EXE's profile to change it into compat mode.

I'm going to assume there's no prompt in Vista as well 'cause its reinstalling right now.

Didn't stop me to ask anything. $%#@! Well, let me see if anything changes after this reinstall. (I left the updates in tact)

Ha! Yes!

Don't know what we did different, 'cause it seems to be working so far. But thanks for the support snoopy.

Top Bottom