missing iron

foodguy

Chieftain
here's a weird bug i haven't seen before. i've clearly got iron and clearly have roads going through it. but the computer doesn't read it. in my city boxes, there is no iron. this is not inconsequential, as you might imagine. this is my only iron and though i've got coal, because of the computer glitch, i can't built railroads (or anything else requiring iron). anyone got any ideas? i'm thinking about pillaging the road myself and then rebuilding it to see if that fixes it.

Originally posted by foodguy
here's a weird bug i haven't seen before. i've clearly got iron and clearly have roads going through it. but the computer doesn't read it. in my city boxes, there is no iron. this is not inconsequential, as you might imagine. this is my only iron and though i've got coal, because of the computer glitch, i can't built railroads (or anything else requiring iron). anyone got any ideas? i'm thinking about pillaging the road myself and then rebuilding it to see if that fixes it.

Are you sure it falls within your cultural borders? (if roaded, but outside your borders, you still need a colony on the iron).

Are you sure that the road does connect with one or more cities and are all your cities connected via a trade network?

Are you sure you haven't traded it away to another AI civ (and therefore lost use of it yourself)? (check F2 - trade advisor for your exports).

Those are the possibilities that spring to mind -- if not one of these, you may have a bug.

yeah, all those things (it's on a mountain adjacent to a size 12 city for god's sakes) though it might be worth it to try and build a colony on it just to see if that shakes something loose!

Did you build this road and know it was actually built. There's a display bug with the game sometimes that will show a road somewhere where there is not. Put a worker on that square and see if it'll allow you to build a road or not.

Also, the city must have a citizen (not a unit, the choice of the squares you extract resources in each city) in that square. If it has not, the resource will not be taken not even if there are roads and it is in the limits. But be careful if you change citizen locations, you may stop city growth or even create a shortage. Sometimes it may be better to wait until the city grows and gives you another citizen.

Originally posted by Frodo Bolson
Also, the city must have a citizen (not a unit, the choice of the squares you extract resources in each city) in that square. If it has not, the resource will not be taken not even if there are roads and it is in the limits.

Sorry, Frodo, but it is not necessary to put a citizen on the square for it to be a usable resource for building railroads etc. The iron resource doesn't even have to be in a city's boundaries. It just has to be inside your national borders and connected via a road.

That's strange, because that is exaclty what I learned: I had an Iron resource in my city limits, I had a road on it, but I couldn't use the Iron until I place a citizen over it.

Frodo, sumthinelse is right, a resource needs only:

1) To be in your borders or a colony built on it (note it does not even need to be in a city raduis)

2) To have a road connection to cities or Capital (really important here, if the resource is road-connected to only the nearest city, only that city will get to build those units)

My guess here is that foodguy did not connect the road to the Capital thus only the adjacent city gets to build the units.

it must be a bug:
1) it is on a mountain adjacent to a size 12 city (definitely within cultural boundaries).
2) it is not only in a roaded square, it is in a roaded square surrounded by roaded squares (we're in the industrial age, after all).
3) there is a strong network of roads throughout the civilization, of course the capital is connected.
4) when i went back and checked an earlier save, the iron was hooked up!
5) there is a citizen on the square, because it is also mined.

Originally posted by foodguy
it must be a bug:
1) it is on a mountain adjacent to a size 12 city (definitely within cultural boundaries).
2) it is not only in a roaded square, it is in a roaded square surrounded by roaded squares (we're in the industrial age, after all).
3) there is a strong network of roads throughout the civilization, of course the capital is connected.
4) when i went back and checked an earlier save, the iron was hooked up!
5) there is a citizen on the square, because it is also mined.

Sounds like a bug to me. Am I overlooking something?

Can you upload a saved game? Maybe the iron was "depleted" but the game forgot to change the icon on that square?

I've had this happen to me as well. Exiting and reloading the game fixed it, though it sounds like you may have already done this if you checked another save.

Playing with 1.21? I can recall this kind of thing happening a lot with 1.16 and 1.17, though unfortunatly i can't remember which version i last encountered this on.

This is a longshot, but are you exporting that iron resource to another civ?
It is possible to export your only one of a resource, thereby depriving yourself of it.

Top Bottom