[MOD] Age of civilisations (BtS)

Well, if you play an archipelago map, you could want to go for a boat constructing technology (rowing boats, sailing boats...) quite early ^^

Anyway, you would be very unlucky, due to the number of techs, to have sailing discarded in the very beginning.

But that could happen, and this is a very good point.

This is exactly what I would like to achieve, a very deep change in the way Civilisation is played.

I don't really know if you can do something like this, but maybe if you research technologies that lead to certain other technologies, the odds that those other technologies would be discarded could be greatly decreased. So if you're ignoring one specific tech path, it prefers to delete those over ones you are working on.

Thank you very very much Frantic men, you are one of the few supporting me here ^^ I think this mod and its mechanic are way to weird for most people...

If there is anything you would like me to add, do not hesitate to tell me, I might not be able to do it though, because I only do basic art and XML stuff.

Nope, I never tried it online, but it should function, it seems to me that Jojoweb coded it to function online.
As the number of techs grows, more and more crossover buildings and units are going to be buildable, this is another big part of the mod.
And I hope you will enjoy 1.12. I started adding religions, and armor and weapon crafting, among other techs...

Take care and have fun :)

great mod. I love the concepts keep up the good work, I cant wait till it gets to a more advanced stage. sounds like your getting there =)

extox took the words right out of my mouth. I am looking to pick up a copy of Civilization 4 Complete and then I want to give this mod a try. Have you decided on a limit for techs/what number are you currently at?
While i do agree that with so many techs on the way/instated now that this wont be much of a problem, but I admit that it would make more sense to have the possibility decrease if you focus on one field.
I was wondering if the random tech lost would be the same each time the game was loaded or if it would change? If it would change, a player could save before the tech finished and reload if he lost something crucial to his strategy - thus avoiding frustration in a later game - yet that same concept would make the game more dynamic as it would force the player to adapt and readapt if something went wrong... so I am torn between the two
Is tech trading allowed?

@extox and soibean, thanks a lot :)
Have you decided on a limit for techs
No. i am adding on a feeling basis. I usually add techs relating on a big topic. For example, about economy, I plan to add techs like Toll, Money, Coins, Exchange, Trading with, Taxes, Dime (a religious tax), Gabelle (a specific tax on salt), Caravan, Banking... All would have a special effect, of course.
So you could choose to develop an "hyper trading" civilisation, going for as much economical/financial technologies as possible.

what number are you currently at?
97 available from start. Quite a lot to choose from ^^.

I admit that it would make more sense to have the possibility decrease if you focus on one field
Indeed, but the sheer diversity of cultures and civilisations on earth tells the contrary.

The incas, for example, had stone weapons, they wouldn't use iron nor copper, but they were amazing builders (still puzzling scientists today). And they would use copper and gold to create beautifull jewelries. So thez knew hot to mine it, how to extract it,... In AOC, that would mean that you either had "Weapon crafting" discarded, or "High furnace smelting" (upcoming mineral/metal related tech), or whatever. They didn't use the wheel at all, but would build roads. They add a very efficient messenger system, didn't seem to know advanced wood framing, because they built stone temples, and amazing rope bridges, although they lived near huge forests... Woops, random discarding again ?

Take any Civilisation, and you will find some specific "capacities" that make it different from all the others.
So, end game in AoC, you could go "Wow, Napoleon CAN ride horses !!!! - I thought it was only used for butchering..." And napoleon could go "Wow, that guy can create huge fleets of huge boats !!! I thought woods could only be used for dwellings..." and so on, and so on, and so on....
This is exactly what I am trying to achieve in AoC.

I was wondering if the random tech lost would be the same each time the game was loaded or if it would change?

The random discarding happens at the moment when you discover the tech you are currently researching, or so I think. But frankly, I didn't try this cheat. You could simply open the world editor I guess, although I didn't try.

thus avoiding frustration in a later game
Indeed, but that would go against all the fun of the mod, I think. Instead of "crap, I lost Mining, lets reload", I think the proper action or feeling would be "crap, I lost Mining. Will I be able to still create a good civ? How can I work my way around? Is there an other path I should go now? Maybe I could find minerals through Trading? etc....." There are so many ways around to build a unique civ....

Is tech trading allowed?
You can discover techs through 4 means now:
1- Goody huts. "Amazing, those simple villagers can HUNT"
2- Of course research.
3- Trading. Great way to exchange techs, and I think it becomes really meaningfull here. If a guy wants to trade mining for domestication, would you teach him the secrets of your civilisation?...
4- City conquest. Each time you conquer a city, you learn a random tech from your enemy knowledge ("Hey, look, the guys we slaughtered would take BATH...!!! Great, lets try it....")

I haven't developped at all spying related techs for now (Brothels, Inns, Curiosity,etc...)
I haven't try discovery thanks to great people...

This is a WiP, so if some things seem weird to you, I take into account positive feedback as much as possible.

Thanks again for your interest.

Take care and above all Have fun :)

For some reason, some thing give a 623524524% (not the exact number, but close)bonus to trade routes. (salt)

This thread is a big brain storming list of features I think about adding to the mod.....

TO DO:
Slaves, that would mostly a worker unit, but destroying itself on completion of the work. There would be more than one technology allowing for slaves.

if you havent figured it out already, just make workers have the kill in xml like a workboat for slave specific improvements.

Thanks for the tip, but I believe that the kill feature depends on specific improvement.
What I might do is create a "slave trade" technology, that would allow the slave market building. Slave market would allow to buy slaves (expensive, but fast to build). Slaves would be a pretty good, very low upkeep worker unit, but definitely with a Slave revolt event associated to it...)

Thanks for the tip, but I believe that the kill feature depends on specific improvement.
What I might do is create a "slave trade" technology, that would allow the slave market building. Slave market would allow to buy slaves (expensive, but fast to build). Slaves would be a pretty good, very low upkeep worker unit, but definitely with a Slave revolt event associated to it...)

Thats why i said "slave specific improvements" you can just copy the regular improvements. change to kill on them and make it so slaves can only build them.

Hello, cromcrom!
Great mod!
Just one question: how to fight the inflation?
It is really painful just to sit and wait while techs going to advance, but unable to use all of benefits.

Yes.
money always in zero.
can't build any unit.:cry:

Edit:
some turns later strange thing happend...
see it on second screenshot.

Attachments

• inflation_cr.jpg
    inflation_cr.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 94
  • crazy thing.jpg
    crazy thing.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 101
you have to find ways to make gold, a palace after two cities is key.\

One note about events right now they are rather annoying happening every turn.

Is there a way to build cottages?

Thanks for your interest.
crap, this is THE bug again. Could you tell me what building was in your ciy please?

For gold, try to go for dwellings pretty fast. You can also build the palace with just two cities, it is of grat help. Do not expand to fast, try to research a few gold producing techs before building a second city.

Troops cost gold for upkeep, make good use of them.

Once again, this is a Work in progress. I can correct any blatant unbalanced things. and indeed, events are not varied enough right now, I will reduce their rate of appearance or augment the variety, for much more dynamic choices / events.

Cottages are "dwellings" (plain, forest, tundra, etc...). But beware, only settlers can build them.

It was a Ivory carver, the rich fellow )))
Thanks for tips, i was expanding very quick.

Update:
And after this money bug, technologies become to develop at 1 turn. Then when all starting tech's become developed next technilogies start develop by themselfs with writing on them that they don't available to my nation, but i had them benefits.

I hope you understand me...

Keep up the good work.

Top Bottom