[MOD] Age of civilisations (BtS)

regarding the comment from mice about having 4 Dye but then not being able to access it, would it be possible to have something on the lines of the Advanced Start where each civ perhaps starts with 1 tech assigned to them which is based on the resources in the first city's cross?

If there are no resources (or no resources that can be seen at game start) then it would be a random tech, whilst if there is more than one resource it would be a random tech from the resources available.

Hi,
I got the mod and it starts fine but when i go to start a game it crashes.
Is there any way to fix the problem?
Please e-mail me if you find a fix.

Indeed, there might be a Big Concept problem here. Here is the question: Should there be 2 or 3 "quite the same" techs ("Desert farming" allowing desert farm, "Hill farming" allowing hill farm, "Normal farming" allowing normal farm, for example), having them all would make a very specialized civilisation, and, having one of the techs discarded would be annoying, but your civ could work its way around,
OR
Should there be much fewer techs, giving more things to do with that tech, but the discarding of those would have a serious impact on the your civ. (For example, a tech would be "Agriculture" allowing desert farms, hill farms and normal farms, for example, and it would deal with ALL manners of plant growing...)

Techs are tradable, and you could potentially gain access to all techs through trades. But then, some techs you might not want to share, and some of your enemies will NEVER get them. It is not just a question of time, like in vanilla.

And sorry, no new version yet....

Indeed, there might be a Big Concept problem here. Here is the question: Should there be 2 or 3 "quite the same" techs ("Desert farming" allowing desert farm, "Hill farming" allowing hill farm, "Normal farming" allowing normal farm, for example), having them all would make a very specialized civilisation, and, having one of the techs discarded would be annoying, but your civ could work its way around,
OR
Should there be much fewer techs, giving more things to do with that tech, but the discarding of those would have a serious impact on the your civ. (For example, a tech would be "Agriculture" allowing desert farms, hill farms and normal farms, for example, and it would deal with ALL manners of plant growing...)

Well why not set it so that certain techs cannot be discarded, but then the advanced versions of specific techs can be... E.g. Agriculture is too key to discard, in real life i dont think their was a civ that didnt eventually learn it on their own. So agriculture would be always accessible, however, to truly specialize your tech in something you wanna learn beyong Agriculture but the issue would be that the techs beyond it would be discarded.
So instead of having so many techs to start with why not go along the lines of making 5 techs accessible from the starts, Mining, Agriculture, Seasomething, MilitarySomething and one other things, chained to these techs they would each have a dozen or so techs, those are discardable. This way, one can research every attachement to Mining and end up being a rich but very hungry Civ as whilst they have the most basic farm (A basic farm should provide like 1 food... but increase consumptions from cities) they have the most advanced Mines, a mine designed for each resource providing lots of advantages from each minable resource...
Or one could end up with a very powerful military civ but then end up with poor resources as many of the Agriculture, Mining and other extended researches would have gone discarded.

So an example of a tech tree would be:
-Mining (Non Discardable)
--Gold Mining
--Salt Mining
--Forge
--Bronze Works
--Iron Works
--Architecture
--Road Works
-Agriculture (Non Discardable)
--Desert Farming
--Hill Farming
--Winery
--Irrigation
--Plantations
--Forest Cutting
-Seafaring (Non Discardable)
--Fishing
--Boat Building
--Naval Warfare
-Military (Non Discardable)
--Spear
--Archery
--Sword
--Siegeworks
--Defensive Structures

and so on...

@ MistroPain
I do not agree with your idea, and here is why:

Huns had no knowledge of agriculture, but was a civilisation that "left its marks".
Amazonian tribes have no mining, but a knowledge of herbs or plants that has no rival, and a very basic agriculture...
Eskimos hardly have any military, but can survive in frozen wastes.
Zulus had no boats...
Celts had no writing....

Should the specifics of a civilisation come from a few large technologies, or from a great number of little ones, has it is now the case with my mod?

Hi,
I got the mod and it starts fine but when i go to start a game it crashes.
Is there any way to fix the problem?
Please e-mail me if you find a fix.

I get the same problem. :(:(:(What's going on? I really want to try this, it looks awesome.

Even though a couple other people have asked this, I'll ask again (since no one seems to want to answer):

I've downloaded & installed the MOD, but it crashes at the start of a new game - what's the fix?

I am really sorry about the ctd guys, I wish I could fix it, but I really do not have the skills. The main par tof the mod is basic xml tweaking...

But I know it works for me. May be by doing a clean install it would work ?

I really hope someone finds a fix for it.

Take care.

I just played a game, using XP, I had no problem...

I might have a look into events. I would like events to happen much more often, especially natural events. I think I would add "bad weather", "good weather", impairing units movements, removing or adding a little bit of food or hammers...

Well, I just checked, AoCiv was developped for patch 3.13, I wasn't aware of the 3.17 patch. I am patching right now, and will have a look at the problems with the patch 3.17.

I know it is not the best solution, but until I find a fix, if I ever find one, for those who really want to try the mod, try installing and patching the game up to 3.13, not 3.17, it should function.

Indeed, there is a bug, when the game loads the graphics. I have a look and try to fix that.

I've been watching this (and found it to encompass an intrigueing game concept), but I was wondering; do you have any plans of extending the mod beyond the age of gunpowder?:confused:

No, because it would totally go against the philosophy behind age of civ....

I think all modern civs tend to become the same, and I don't think this is interesting.

I love the idea of the vikings (iron crafters, raiders, sailors....) meeting the Iroquois (hunters, forest dwellers, nature religion...)

I love the incredible diversity of pre-gunpowder civilisations, and this is what AoC is about.
I have rather add gameplay tweaks to add even more technologies...

And I have rather expand it toward slightly fantastic mod...

So sorry, not beyond gunpowder.

I have been playing around with events, these things are amazing. I think I will create technologies for the sole purpose of having special events in the game (like prospecting, that will discover new ressources...)

Top Bottom