Mod Civ Idea: Canton Pirates return.

SolutionIt

Warlord

Hello! So some time ago I saw that this was in the Mods Repository and that it wasn't being updated anymore. I know Enginseer had his own way of handling what the civ was capable of but I have an idea of how it could be re-implemented in an interesting way. So I'll go ahead and post my ideas (with 3UC and 4UC included) on how this should make a return as a modded civilization.

New UA: Corpiration: Can only settle cities on or next to coastal and ocean tiles. These Cities generate Great Admiral points. You and your opponents can pillage each other's trade routes without declaring war. Pillaging trade routes gives you 1 copy of an opponent's most common luxury resource, cycling through each one available. (If anyone has a less pun oriented UA name suggest one btw).

UA Strategy: The idea here is that the Canton Pirates are an economically-oriented domination victory civ capable of branching out to different victory types depending on which monopoly they are capable of stealing from other players. Their opponents are capable of "stealing back" those resources, which basically just removes 1 copy of that resource from you. They should be restricted to only being able to settle next to or on coastal and ocean tiles only that way they can't just destroy opposing caravans too quickly early in the game (would probably cause balancing issues). Considering they'd also be capable of settling in oceans it means they can actually threaten opponent's cargo ships more effectively and set up a naval base near an opponent that does't require land towards the middle and late game. On top of this, since she can generate Great Admiral points naturally, she can also make her own resources, and it also helps her get quicker access to the Unique Great Admiral's abilities that tie in with the UA itself.

UU1: Fleet Commander: Great Admiral Replacement for the Canton Pirates. In addition to providing the standard bonuses of a Great Admiral, the Fleet Commander allows any unit stacked on top of it to enter rival territory. It is also invisible when stacked on top of a naval ranged or melee unit.

UB1: Lantau Smuggler's Den: The Lantau Smuggler's Den is a replacement of the East India Trading Company National Wonder. In addition to providing the standard bonuses of said building, The Lantau Smuggler's Den boosts naval unit production by 15%, reduces their gold costs by 15%, and gives +1 Trade Route. In addition to these bonuses, it also provides the Canton Pirates with an extra copy of a stolen resource permanently that can't be stolen back by an opponent.

3UC/4UC

UU2:
Red Fleet Junk: The Red Fleet Junk starts with promotions that excels at both naval combat and raiding cities while boasting a higher Movement Speed and Combat Strength than its replacement of the Caravel. It also gains gold equivalent to 25% of the Combat Strength unit the Junk kills or capture. (Same as the one Enginseer has on his own post).

UB1: Gambling House: The Gambling House is a replacement of the Circus that provides an additional +1 Happiness and benefits Laborers with a +2 Production, Culture, and Gold bonus while also providing a Merchant Slot. (Same as the one Enginseer has on his own post).

Seems like an interesting and unique ability with a playstyle that mimics the Moroccan's in some aspects, I hope to see some discussion! Also if there aren't any modders who can take this task, where can I find the appropriate resources to at least get a head start on this and get help either online or through the community? Thanks in advance!

https://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/civ5-modding-tutorials-reference.394/
There's this section of the forums that you can learn from.

If you do plan to work on this it's best to limit the amount of new code added to keep it manageable so I say remove the permanent stolen resource from Smuggler's Den and the ability to settle in the sea. If you feel this makes the Civ too weak you can even remove the coastal settling restraint.

As for the design itself, I'm not a huge fan of the Fleet Commander UU since (assuming the AI knows how to use it too, which is also something to consider) there isn't really a way to resist it other than giving up on sea trade or conquering Ching Shih. I think defending cargo ships is already hard without having an invisible, border ignoring thief involved :p. Once you catch the thief too they'll "flee" with Voyage

I think Red Fleet Junk should be the UU1. It'll help defend you against all the wars the AIs will declare on you for pillaging TRs and stealing luxuries.

Last edited:
I just want the Canton Pirates version that's on here to be functional. It's been broken for as long as it's existed, and it doesn't seem anyone is interested in taking up the mantle.

Top Bottom