Mod idea: Turn the tide around when a civ get to much ahead

Taa

Warlord
One of the things I really dont like when playing Civ is that each game seem to reach a breaking point, usually halfway through, where you take so much lead that no other Ai civs ever get close to you again. Half the game is then about fulfilling that "prophecy". This is boring as hell and if you look at human history some countries/cultures lead for some time, then fade away when others take the lead and so it goes on.

I really love the first half of the game when there is a constant threat from other civs and the game feel like a challenge. Ofc its fun to see that you progress and get a little ahead, but when that distance get to big there is no fun left and no game mechanic or other ingame functionality to make other civs take a leap and become a challenge again. In RL we have bad philosophers, politicians and internal challenges that create big time problems for civs. Where is this functions in Civ5?

So Im looking for some kind of mod or tweaks that somehow can turn the tide around and make other civs appear as a challenge again and even take the lead. I dont say this have to happen all the time but it would be nice to know that things can happen. Also have a possibility to do something with it over time would be great. This is mostly for player when player get ahead, the Ai controlled civs seem to make problems for themselves at some point.

Events is one idea:
This can be events with big impact for a longer time on a civ and that have options to make the effects less or stronger.

Some events
- A bad philosopher tear down the fundamental ideas in your civ and cause major deterioration in education that lead to stop and loss of technology for a long time if you dont deal with it correctly
- Civil war break out and buildings and military units get destroyed.
- Conflicts internally lead to workers stopping working causing loss of access to resources and slow down all city building and improvements.
- Traitors selling your tech to other civs making them progress quickly.
- Some civs come together and cooperate on science for many turns, merging all science points together to double the speed of tech progress.

Thanks for any suggestions for tweaks, existing mods or ideas for making such a mod :)

Some good ideas but I think one wants to avoid arbitrariness. Fine and dandy to add a number of elements out of the player's control; but there needs to be some way for him to mitigate the effects or eliminate/lower the chance of these things happening. Otherwise, the player becomes a mere observer.
Exactly, so there need to some options to respond, maybe change some social policies, maybe build some special units or build some buildings/wonders, or make certain deals with other civs. But these options to respond need to have some kind of randomness to them so player just dont learn them and deal with it easily.

And mainly I think the options to respond need to be done over a longer time, not instantly, like putting down the ground work needed to make a deal with another civ or collecting certain resources over time to satisfy a revolting population. Maybe some kind of quest or task to fulfill, not just a click for these options and problem is solved, something that take 30-40-100 turns to reach.

I guess this also can be done other ways than just with events.

Is it possible to boost Ai civs from medieval era to the end of the game?

What about starting reducing players performance like technology from medieval era to the end of the game, is that possible?

I always thought a Civil War aspect in Civ would be good. They sort of have something like it with the Unhappiness, but I'd love to see something like how the Soviet Union broke up able to happen in Civ.

So, clumps of cities, especially those bordering other civs or quite distance from your capital, would be more like to try and "break away" from your control, and the solution would either be peaceful (through economic, political or social appeasements), underhanded (sanctions, economic pressure, threats, etc) or autocratic (placing military units in the area to instill fear). If it was successful, the new area would become like a City State, perhaps named after its largest city. Other civs could even use spies or secret diplomacy to encourage cities or regions of a civ to attempt succession.

I always thought a Civil War aspect in Civ would be good. They sort of have something like it with the Unhappiness, but I'd love to see something like how the Soviet Union broke up able to happen in Civ.

So, clumps of cities, especially those bordering other civs or quite distance from your capital, would be more like to try and "break away" from your control, and the solution would either be peaceful (through economic, political or social appeasements), underhanded (sanctions, economic pressure, threats, etc) or autocratic (placing military units in the area to instill fear). If it was successful, the new area would become like a City State, perhaps named after its largest city. Other civs could even use spies or secret diplomacy to encourage cities or regions of a civ to attempt succession.
There is a mod that partly do this but it has it limits and its not that hard to control, but maybe with some smart tweaking toward this goal it can become something interesting in this context :)

The mod is Revolutions found here.

I don't know if it already exists, but some kind of "smart barbarian" mechanic where barbs specifically go after the cities of whoever is in "the lead" would be good. If you think about it - as a barb would you be more likely to target the richest civ or the poorest ?

I'm not sure how it'd work, one of either more camps spawning around the "lead" civ or a barb GG spawns on their borders and raises up an army are the two methods I can think of, off the top of my head.

Is it possible to make Ai civs make alliances, cooperate about eg. research or even merge together when player get to much ahead?

Is it possible to make quests/tasks for player with big impacts that will take many turns to complete?

Top Bottom