[MOD] National Wonders: Very Much In-Progress

Magil

Monarch
Bit awkward that my patch download finished literally as I was typing this post, but it doesn't seem like anything I utilized was changed, so I'll go ahead and post this.

While I say this is "in-progress" I don't mean this mod is currently feature-light. Currently there are ten new buildings:
Spoiler :

• Library of National History: (Requires Library) Libraries provide +1 Culture. Great Works of Writing provide +2 Science. Provides science equal to the district adjacency bonus. 2 Slots for Great Works of Writing (can be themed for 50% bonus).
  • National College: (Requires University) Universities provide +2 Culture. +25% Science in this city. Upon completion, provides a one-time science boost equal to ten times your current culture output. 2 Slots for Great Works of Writing (can be themed for 50% bonus).
  • Shrine of the Saint: (Requires Shrine) Shrines, Temples, and Worship buildings provide +2 Gold. Provides faith equal to the district adjacency bonus. 2 Slots for Relics.
  • Grand Temple: (Requires Temple, Founded Religion) Shrines, Temples, and Worship buildings provide +1 Culture. Religious art provides +4 Faith, and all other Great Works of Art provide +2 faith. +50% Faith in this city. 3 Slots for Religious Art or Sculptures (can be themed for 100% bonus).
  • Apostolic Palace: (Requires Worship Building, Founded Religion) Your religious Tourism no longer reduced by the Enlightenment civic. Your apostles can always choose any promotion. Upon completion, receive a one-time faith boost equal to ten times your current culture output.
  • National Epic: (Requires Monument) Each district in this city provides 1 additional Great Person point for that kind of Great Person (Writer for Theater Square). Upon completion, provides 20 Great Person points towards each kind of Great Person. 1 Slot for a Great Work of Writing.
  • Heroic Epic: (Requires Barracks or Stable) +50% Experience for units trained in this city. Encampment districts provide +2 Culture. Upon completion, awards a free Great General. 1 Slot for a Great Work of Writing.
  • State Armory: (Requires Armory) Each city with an Encampment district receives +5 Production when producing units. Domestic trade routes from this city provide +1 Production for each bonus resource in this city's territory. Unit maintenance reduced by 1 Gold per unit.
  • National Academy: (Requires Military Academy) Military Academies provide +3 Science. All of your military units receive 1 promotion level.
  • Grand Market Square: (Requires Market) Receive a free Trader unit and your Trade Route capacity is increased by 1. Foreign trade routes to this city provide +4 Gold for you and +3 Production for the foreign city.
As of this build, National Wonders are implemented as follows:
Spoiler :

• When you build a National Wonder in a city, you cannot build it in any other city. Other Civilizations can still build it (and the AI does build them, you receive the standard Wonder notification when that happens).
  • You cannot build National Wonders that require a different district in the same city. In other words, you can build the Library of National History and the National College in the same city, but you cannot build the Shrine of the Saint or the Heroic Epic in that city. The one exception is the National Epic which does not count towards the National Wonder limit (you are still limited to one National Epic in your empire).
  • National Wonders generate a lot of Great People points and add a lot of additional Great Work slots to your empire.
  • Some National Wonders improve your entire empire in a specific way, encouraging you to invest in a particular district and/or building in your other cities. Others specialize a single city towards a specific purpose. Some do both.
  • The production cost for a National Wonder is around ~75% of a World Wonder from the respective part of the Civic Tree.
  • Currently, all National Wonders are unlocked in the civics tree, not the tech tree. Many are strongly tied to culture.
With all of this said, I'm pretty new to modding. and while XML modding has so far proven pretty simple, there are some things that I wanted to do that I couldn't figure out how to do, such as:
Spoiler :

• Provide a %-based production boost when building units in a single city with a specific building. I could provide a flat production boost for units with a particular district, or a %-based bonus that applied to all cities. Attaching a RequirementSet to Fascism's bonus didn't seem to work (despite my success in utilizing RequirementSets successfully in my Fish Farms mod and thinking I understood how they worked).
  • I wanted to utilize the code that provides a yield that's a multiplier of your current yield output to provide a turn-after-turn bonus, like, say, receive 10% of your culture output as faith. Unfortunately, setting RunOnce to False doesn't seem to make the modifier fire turn after turn like I thought it would, it still only fires on the turn of completion.
  • Strangely, while the Building_YieldDistrictCopies worked just fine with the Campus, I couldn't get it to work with the Lavra. Not sure why, unless it has to do with it being a unique district (but surely the Royal Navy Dockyard works with the Shipyard? Needs more testing that I haven't gotten around to yet). The tooltip displays properly, but the yield isn't added for whatever reason.
Anyway, I've provided a file with my early version of the mod here (to prove I'm not blowing smoke and fully intend to deliver on this mod) for anyone interested. It's not ready for release as I have more wonders planned, some of which I don't think are going to work based on the above (I wanted the National Treasury to provide 10% of your current gold balance every turn using Big Ben's modifier as a base, but I bet that's coded to only fire once in way that's not immediately obvious to me how to change). But I'll be winging it and see how it goes. Any feedback, tips and tricks are appreciated.

As I imagine most are aware by now if you've used other mods that add buildings, most of the files go in the My Games-Mods folder, but the Icons_Buildings.xml needs to go in the Steamapps/Civilization VI/Base/Assets/UI/Icons folder. It's recommended to back up the original file first (I've included my own backup in the folder as a *.bak file). This part is unnecessary but for icons to appear you will need to do this (it's a re-use of other game assets).

Final Note: I don't think the patch broke anything for this mod... at a glance everything is still working. Still, use at your own risk!

Attachments

• National Wonders (0.4).rar
    5.6 KB · Views: 70
  • National Wonders (0.4).rar
    7.9 KB · Views: 61
Top Bottom