• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

MOD: Patch Suggestion lite - C3C version

player1 fanatic

Fanatic
Patch Suggestion MOD - lite version 2.10
for Civilization 3: Conquests expansion pack (requires 1.22 patch)

Overview:

Why call it "patch suggestion"? Because changes in this mod represent a group of small tweaks, which if added to original Civ3: Conquests rules would improve game balance and fun. This is lite version of the mod, so it has fewer tweaks and is closer to original rules.

The spirit of the mod is to keep general feel of original Civ3 rules, while making changes only when it's necessary for balancing purposes and streamlining gameplay. Although it's a "lite" version of my original mod, it can be noticed that in some cases I took different approach making some rule changes.

Install instructions:

Just unzip the files in your "Civilization III\Conquests\Scenarios" folder. That way, you'll get ps-lite.biq and newly formed ps-lite folder with support files. Don't forget you need Conquests expansion pack to use this mod. It's also recommended to have 1.22 patch before starting this mod, but it could work without one.

What's new in this version?

Longbowmen and Medieval Infantry upgrade to Riflemen instead of Guerilla. When rifles started to be used, these troops were already obsolete.

Riflemen get their attack rating increased from 4 to 6 and their cost restored to 80 shields, to make them alternative to Cavalry when attacking, and to make it clear that they are better then some medieval bowmen.

TOW Infantry is added in the list of units that can be drafted in Civilopedia.

Democracy gains free unit support for 1 unit per town, 2 per city and 3 per metropolis. Without this, it often happened that Democracy had higher military upkeep cost then Republic, due to free unit support that Republic gained in Conquests, making the Republic a government with better economy as long as you had small of moderate army.

Fascism has its level of corruption increased to Problematic. To compensate, Secret Police HQ small wonder was made exclusive to Fascist instead of Communist government. This will lead to AI civilizations using Communism as war time government more often then Fascism, which is good thing since Communal corruption of Communism is usually better deal (even when without Secret Police HQ). Also, since effects of Secret Police wonder are greater then difference between Problematic and Nuisance level of corruption, Fascism won't really suffer from greater corruption at all.

P.S.
Zip also includes a bonus content.

Version 2.01 removed after 92 downloads.
Version 2.02 removed after 37 downloads.
Version 2.03 removed after 118 downloads.

Attachments

• ps-lite.zip
    299.6 KB · Views: 1,702
MOD CHANGES

Land units:

Musketmen get their cost reduced from 60 to 50 shields since the unit is just 33% better then Pikemen, which needs only 30 shields. Same is done to French Musketeer.

Longbowmen and Medieval Infantry upgrade to Riflemen instead of Guerilla. When rifles started to be used, these troops were already obsolete.

Riflemen get their attack rating increased from 4 to 6, to make them alternative to Cavalry when attacking, and to make it clear that they are better then some medieval bowmen.

Infantry and Guerilla get their attack rating increased from 6 to 8. This way, there is alternative to Cavalry in pre-tank era when offense units have too low attack rating to match defensive units. Also, it helps AI, since it's not skilled enough in using artillery to soften up targets.

Paratroopers get their attack rating increased from 4 to 6 to match infantry more closely.

Similarly, Modern Paratroopers get their attack rating increased from 6 to 8. Also, they get defense rating increased from 11 to 13 to make them good alternative compared to helicopter dropped TOW Infantry.

Increased attack rating of modern foot units makes Marines too vulnerable on defense. That's why Marines get their defense rating increased from 6 to 8.

Modern Armor gets its defense reduced from 16 to 14, in order to make Mech. Infantry more important with its defense rating of 18.

Artillery and Radar Artillery get airlift capabilities. It would be strange otherwise, since units such as Workers, Tanks and Mobile SAMs can also be airlifted.

Ships:

Curragh can't cross ocean anymore. Simply put, these ships are too small to carry enough supplies for any kind of ocean travel.

Frigate, Man-O-War and Privateer become obsolete with Destroyers, so they won't be in build queue in modern era.

Since Cruisers upgrade to AEGIS Cruisers, these units should not have same cost of 160 shields. Otherwise, you'll get upgrade cost of zero. That's why I decreased the cost of Cruisers to 150 shields.

With Conquests, bombard strength of all air units and most age of sail ships got boosted, so it seemed quite strange to leave more modern ships, like Battleship, with old ratings. That's why Destroyers get their bombard strength increased from 6 to 8, Cruisers from 7 to 10, Battleships from 8 to 12 and AEGIS Cruisers from 6 to 8.

Carriers get their movement decreased from 7 to 6 tiles. They should not be faster then Cruisers.

Air units:

Lethal land bombardment is removed from Bombers, since that made them too powerful. Especially considering that AI controlled civilizations rarely built anti-air defenses, like Flak or Mobile SAM.

Jet Fighters get their bombard strength increased from 3 to 6. While Jet Fighters in Civ3 were not designed to be tactical bombers (exempt American F-15), considering that their attack and defense ratings are +100% better compared to Fighters, it seems logical that their bombard strength is better for same amount.

Stealth Fighters get their bombard strength increased from 6 to 10. That way, they'll become decent tactical bombers.

Unique Units:

Ancient Cavalry has its bonus HP removed. That should make it not too dominating in ancient age, while still keeping the edge over normal Horsemen.

Hittites can now build Horsemen if they like. Sure, the Three-Man Chariots are better for combat, but they can't pass mountains and jungles like Horsemen.

Mongol Keshik gains zero range bombard strength of 2 (like archers). It goes with flavor (mounted archer) and makes this unique unit a little bit more worthy as it should be.

Spanish Conquistadors get their cost reduced from 70 to 50 shields. Although they have good mobility, low combat values make them vulnerable, too vulnerable to be expensive.

Portuguese Carrack gains ability to bombard into adjacent squares. With bombard strength of 2 and rate of fire of 2, it is finally possible to destroy enemy Caravels without significant loses. After all, Unique units are supposed to be better then standard units.

Korean Hwach'a unit becomes available with Chemistry instead of Metallurgy advance. Exempt for flavor issues (needing Metallurgy for unit which needs no iron), this was also done to fix graphic glitch in science advisor screen when Metallurgy advance frame, while playing Koreans, is misplaced.

Like Stealth Fighter, American F-15 gets its bombard strength increased from 6 to 10. In combination with lethal land bombardment, which standard Bomber now lacks, this should make from F-15 an excellent tactical bomber.

AI strategies:

Sumerian Enkidu Warrior gains AI offense strategy flag, since it's not less effective then ordinary warrior for attack. It also prevents a bug, which makes Sumerian AI player get less extra units on higher difficulties then normal.

Babylonian Bowmen gain AI defense strategy flag, considering that with addition of defensive bombardment, they make great defenders.

Zulu Impi, Carthaginian Numidian Mercenary, French Musketeer and Mech. Infantry get AI offense strategy flag removed. Because of their cost and low attack ratings, these units are not suited for attack. They are much better when used for pillaging or defensive support. That does not mean that without this flag these units won't attack. They'll still attack targets against which they have good chance of winning, like taking out wounded enemy units.

Curragh gains Naval Transport AI flag, instead of Naval Power flag. This way, AI civilizations will build this useful naval explorer more often. With standard rules they built it rarely if ever.

Governments:

Democracy gains free unit support for 1 unit per town, 2 per city and 3 per metropolis. Without this, it often happened that Democracy had higher military upkeep cost then Republic, due to free unit support that Republic gained in Conquests, making the Republic a government with better economy as long as you had small of moderate army.

Fascism has its level of corruption increased to Problematic. To compensate, Secret Police HQ small wonder was made exclusive to Fascist instead of Communist government. This will lead to AI civilizations using Communism as war time government more often then Fascism, which is good thing since Communal corruption of Communism is usually better deal (even when without Secret Police HQ). Also, since effects of Secret Police wonder are greater then difference between Problematic and Nuisance level of corruption, Fascism won't really suffer from greater corruption at all.

Wonders:

The Oracle wonder gets its cost reduced from 300 to 200 shields. It's weaker then Hanging Gardens and gets obsolete earlier.

Military Academy doesn't allow building armies anymore. This was a tough decision, but unfortunately, AI civilizations are bugged and won't use leaders to create armies, nor build them in cities with Military Academy. In fact, AI civs won't have any armies at all. By removing ability to build armies through Military Academy, players won't have too big advantage against non-army using AI civs. It also makes leader generated armies more special, since players can't rely on Military Academy to mass-produce armies as before.

The Pentagon requires Military Tradition advance. That way, it won't be possible to build it in ancient era, just because you got 3 armies early.

Cure for Cancer makes two citizens content instead of one. Without this, the effect of wonder will be pretty mediocre, especially considering that there are many wonders, which are cheaper and have greater effects.

Bug fixes:

Fixed Incan civilopedia description.
Fixed Paratrooper's attack sound.
Added Paratrooper in list of units with zone of control in Civilopedia.
Added TOW Infantry in list of units that can be drafted in Civilopedia.
Removed reference to Stealth Attack in F-15 unit description (since it doesn't work).
Radar Tower description changed to mention Advanced Flight instead of Radio as prerequisite.
Science Advisor gives proper advice in modern era.

Yeah, removing the Koreans to make room for the Austrians was a good choice.. Too many asian civs and too few european civs anyway :/.

Also, why the crapazoid did you not include the 'add unload to curragh and tag it as naval transport for ai strategies change' in this lite version? It really works great you know..

I think you should do a more extreme version of the patch suggestion mod. One that doesn't care about keeping the original flavor in civ3 and only focuses on game balance and to helping the AI.
Like, removing armies, giving artillery units combat values, removing agricultural trait, even more UU balance, making the AI NOT kill themselves by whipping too many citizens in fascism and communism, (this is a side-effect from setting a citizen shield value of 30, I've tried it myself, they whip too much) etc. etc.
You should be able to make a great such mod I think!

Dogmeat said:
Yeah, removing the Koreans to make room for the Austrians was a good choice.. Too many asian civs and too few european civs anyway :/.

Beacuse if I play some World Map, I would use original ps-lite, not one with Austrians. Why Add Austrians if they clutter Europe?
And also because if I want to play Austrians then I would really like to have european oponents, like in real life.

It's "optional" biq anyway.

Dogmeat said:
Also, why the crapazoid did you not include the 'add unload to curragh and tag it as naval transport for ai strategies change' in this lite version? It really works great you know..

I did some tests.
And it does not work great.
AI does build Curragh after while, but doesn't explore.
Just sits in the city it got built (waiting for units that will never load?)

I'll do some extra tests just to be sure.

Still, I must say that although with naval traspot flag AI quickly builds one passive Curragh, if it happens to get 2 Curraghs (very rare) the second one will be used for exploration (just happend in one of my tests). And 2nd Curragh is as rare as Curragh with naval power flag (and they do happen occasionaly).

The reason why we probably don't see any active Curraghs (naval trasport or power), is that at the time AI really wants to build 2nd transport or 1st power Curragh it already has Map Making.

So only thing that naval trasport helps is that AI impulsively buys one passive Curragh.

I saw 2 Carthaginian Curraghs in my last game. They were both exploring the coastline... And it was pretty early in the game too.

Continents or archipelago. BTW those carthaginians have naval units checked as build often. That may be a factor. But they were also on an island along with me so they might have prioritized those curraghs to get in touch with other civs.
The civs with naval units-build often and seafaring trait always tend to have the most islands colonized when I trade worldmaps with everyone.

Yes, there is something after all.

It treid huge archipelago map with Naval Trasport AI, and while all civs got one passive Curragh, several civs had up to 2 active Curraghs too.

Compared to same setting, but Naval Power, when there was no Curraghs at all, it seams that Naval Trasport actually does matter.

Bon Fait! One of the best mods I've seen all year...and the most useful!

I loved the original player1mod back in the Civ3 times.
Downloading...

Top Bottom