MOD PREVIEW: Improved Civ 3

Originally posted by SK138
I've been looking for a resource icon for bronze but I can't find one

Bronze is an alloy of copper and tin; given the problems having 2 strategic resources required for building units so early on in the game, I concur that a "bronze" resource is a reasonable approach -- which means that anything metallic in the spectrum between copper and gold should do.

-Oz

Here are some more changes I have made, not too many but more too come soon.

-Changed name of Tank unit to M4 Sherman
-Changed name of Panzer unit to PzKpfw III and lowered it defense and movement by 1
-Romans can now build the PzKpfw III
-Added the Panther Tank for the Germans which has a stronger defense
-Added the Scotland Civilization to the game

***Future Changes I am not so sure about (So tell me what you think on these)***

-Should I change the Colisseum name to Stadium and make the Colisseum a wonder that maybe lowers corruption or war weariness?
-Should I add a bronze resource that a Spearman and maybe some other ancient age units will require?
-Should some civs have more UU's then others or will it unbalance the game too much?

***Questions I have about modding***

-Is there a limit to the number of new units that can be added to a mod, and if so, what is it?
-I want to make a nuclear bomb unit that bombers can carry and drop, similar to the ones dropped in Japan in WW2, how could I do this and would the AI use it correctly?

I can't post a new version yet because it is up to 60 mb and I don't have anywhere to post it. Hopefully CDG or CivFanatics will give me some space to post it on.

***Improved Civ 3 Changes So Far...***

-Made the Galley wheeled and oceans impassable to wheeled units so there is no ancient age expansion.
-Increased total number of turns from 540 to 1000
-Gave the Radar Artillery a defense strength of 1 so it gets destroyed instead of captured
-Added Crossbowman unit to replace Longbowman for all civs except England
-Longbowman is a UU for England with an extra defense point
-Added an Indian Rifleman and made it unique to the Iroquois and gave it an extra attack point
-Made the Iroquois Mounted Horseman just as good as the regular Horseman since it really wasn't an Iroquois unit
-Added the Indian Warrior to replace the regular Warrior for the Iroquois, no stat difference, just a flavor unit
-Added an attack point to the Musketeer unit
-Paratrooper's attack is now 8
-Marine's attack is now 9
-Guerilla's attack and defense is now 7
-Added a Grenadier unit which is an offensive/defensive unit that comes with nationalism, it upgrades to a guerilla and has an attack of 6, defense of 4, movement of 1, and cost of 8
-Longbowman, Crossbowman, and Medieval Infantry now upgrade to Grenadiers
-Added an adventurer unit that has a movement of 3, defense of 2, cost of 3, treats all terrain as roads, and comes with the Scientific Method technology
-Explorer now upgrades to Adventurer, however, the Conquistador unit does not
-Scouts will no longer upgrade to Conquistadors
-Samurai now replaces Medieval Infantry instead of the Knight
-Samurai now costs only 4, its defense is now 2, and it upgrades to a Grenadier
-New graphics for barbarian camp
-New graphics for goody huts
-New graphics for pollution
-Added a Mounted Samurai unit that is the same as a regular Knight but it has the blitz ability
-Added the Siege Cannon unit which comes with the Gunpowder technology, it has a cost of 2, a bombard strength of 6, it requires iron and saltpeter, and it upgrades to the regular cannon
-Catapults now upgrade to Siege Cannons
-Cruise Missiles now have Bombard Range of 6, they are immobile, they can re-base, and they have the tactical missile flag so they act more like a tactical nuke unit without the nuclear explosion
-AEGIS Cruisers can now carry two tactical missiles (Cruise Missiles and Tactical Nukes)
-Nuclear Submarines can now carry two tactical missiles (Cruise Missiles and Tactical Nukes)
-Added a special Barbarian Galley with a bombard strength and range of 1 so they no longer sail harmlessly up and down the coast
-Cruise Missiles now have lethal land and sea bombardment
-Every sea unit now has an increased movement of 1
-Added Arabian Horseman unit to replace the Knight for the Persians, Zulus, Carthaginians, Egyptians, and Babylonians
-Changed Arabian Horseman to have a movement of 3 and attack strength of 3 so it is like a unique unit for the civs that have it
-Changed name of Tank unit to M4 Sherman
-Changed name of Panzer unit to PzKpfw III and lowered it defense and movement by 1
-Romans can now build the PzKpfw III
-Added the Panther tank for the Germans which has a defense of 10, attack of 16, movement of 3, and cost of 11
-Added the Scotland Civilization to the game
-Added Bronze resource to the game
-Spearmen, Hoplites, and Numidian Mercenaries now require the bronze resource to be built
-The Impi unit does not require bronze but now costs 3 shields
-A lot of work to the civilopedia text with updated entries for all the new changes
-Added the Kilted Clansman unit as a UU for the Scotland civilization
-Kilted Clansman is the same as a normal swordsman but costs 1 shield less

Newest Changes (7/6/03)
-Added the T-34 tank for the Russians which has a defense of 8, attack of 18, movement of 3, and a cost of 11
-Added the Tiger II tank for the Germans which has an attack of 20, defense of 14, movement of 1, and cost of 11
-Made all bombard units have zone of control
-Made destroyers, battleships, submarines, nuclear submarines, ironclads, frigates, and Man-O-Wars have zone of control
-Added the Kyu-Go tank for the Japanese which has an attack of 10, defense of 6, movement of 2, and cost of 9
-Added the M26 Pershing tank for the Americans which has an attack of 20, defense of 9, movement of 2, and cost of 11
-Added the Churchill tank for the English which has an attack of 16, defense of 12, movement of 1, and a cost of 10

---IF YOU SEE ANYTHING IN THESE UNIT STATS THAT MIGHT NOT LOOK RIGHT, PLEASE TELL ME---

Originally posted by SK138
---IF YOU SEE ANYTHING IN THESE UNIT STATS THAT MIGHT NOT LOOK RIGHT, PLEASE TELL ME---

Very well, since you asked.... :D

I think that the Panther was a far superior tank to the T-34.
I would say that the T-34 should have 'average' stats, but be quite CHEAP to build, as the Russians made more of these than ALL of the German tank classes put together! :eek:
"Quantity has a quality of it's own". ;)
(In Civ3, there are unique units with better attack, unique units with better defence, even unique units with extra movement....but there are none that have the unique ability of being cheap to build)

German Tank Movement:-
I like to think that the movement of various types of tank is not so much dependent on the actual vehicle's speed, but more of how they were used operationally.
The Germans invented 'Blizkrieg' tactics, so their early tanks SHOULD move 3, while everybody elses moves only 2.
Later, the Germans gave up this extra speed for heavier, slower, but more powerful versions.
So I suggest that early German tanks (Pz III's) should move 3 with the blitz ability, while the later Panthers only move 2, also with blitz, but are far more expensive to build.
(Tigers are even more powerful than Panthers, move 2, but they have sacrificed the blitz ability for extra armour)

Bronze Resources:-
As I posted before, there is a danger of civs not being able to find this resource, and so not be able to build even the most basic defensive unit, the Spearman.
Make Hoplites & Numidian Mercenaries require 'Bronze' by all means....but I think it would be better for play balance if the humble Spearman requires no resources. :)

Originally posted by Kryten

I think that the Panther was a far superior tank to the T-34.
I would say that the T-34 should have 'average' stats
Actually, the T-34/85, which is the tank I am basing the PTW T-34 off if is considered by many to be the best tank built during WW2. It wasn't as powerful as the Tiger II's but much faster, cheaper, and got better mileage. The Panther tank's design was based off of the T-34. The Panther was a bigger tank with more armor, however, the T-34 was still a little faster and had a larger gun so thats why I made it a better unit.

German Tank Movement:-
I like to think that the movement of various types of tank is not so much dependent on the actual vehicle's speed, but more of how they were used operationally.
The Germans invented 'Blizkrieg' tactics, so their early tanks SHOULD move 3, while everybody elses moves only 2.
Later, the Germans gave up this extra speed for heavier, slower, but more powerful versions.
So I suggest that early German tanks (Pz III's) should move 3 with the blitz ability, while the later Panthers only move 2, also with blitz, but are far more expensive to build.
(Tigers are even more powerful than Panthers, move 2, but they have sacrificed the blitz ability for extra armour)
I based the movement off the speeds and mileage of the actual tanks. The Tiger II, for it's size, was a pretty fast tank, however, according to TETurkhan, with a full tank of gas, it could only go about 38 miles. Also, from what I have read, the Blitzkrieg tactics weren't just based on the tanks speed, but mainly because of the number of tanks and also the combination of the ground troops and the air force. The world never saw anything like this before, and according to my research, the Panther was a faster tank then the earlier Panzers, thats why I gave it a faster movement.

Bronze Resources:-
As I posted before, there is a danger of civs not being able to find this resource, and so not be able to build even the most basic defensive unit, the Spearman.
Make Hoplites & Numidian Mercenaries require 'Bronze' by all means....but I think it would be better for play balance if the humble Spearman requires no resources. :)
I think the danger makes the game more interesting and can really change the way you planned to play the game. However, I tried to make it so it does appear a lot and I am going to do more testing on it to make sure it doesn't happen too often.

I finally have a place to upload my files to and I just uploaded my mod. It is an early version, (I am calling it version .1) and the download is 45 megs zipped and unzipped about 65-70 megs or something like that. It has all the changes seen in my earlier posts and maybe a few more I forgot about. I've did a little testing and I know it should run with no problems, at least early in the game. So tell me what you think and if you find any problems.

http://www.cdgroup.org/upload/tbs/civ3/ic3/Improved_Civ_3_Mod.zip

2. What differentiates "military dictatorship" from "fascism"?
To quote Mussolini himself: "Fascism should rightfully be called corporatism, since it is the fusion of corporations and government".

Not a perfectly worded quote, but the message is there.

Here are some more changes I have made that will be on the version .2 patch whenever I decide to post it.

Version 0.2 - Not Available Yet

-Added a defense and cost point to Medieval Infantry
-Added a defense and cost point to Samurai
-Changed the T-34 and based it off of the T-34/76, now it has an attack of 16 and ignores movement costs for tundra and desert
-Changed the attack of the Pershing to 18 instead of 20
-Changed cost of Pershing to 12
-Changed cost of Tiger II to 12
-Changed Fighter unit name to Spitfire
-Changed Jet Fighter operational range to 8 and bombard strength to 8
-Changed F-15 operational range to 8 and bombard strenth to 9
-Changed Bomber bombard strength to 10
-Changed Stealth Fighter bombard strength to 8
-Changed Stealth Bomber bombard strength to 12
-Added the P-51 Mustang unit for the Americans and English which has a bombard strenth of 4, cost of 9, attack of 4, defense of 2, and operational range of 6
-Changed Spitfire cost to 7
-Added the P-38 Lightning unit for the Americans which has a cost of 9, attack of 4, defense of 2, bombard strength of 5 and operational range of 5
-Added the Japanese Zero fighter which has a cost of 8, attack of 4, defense of 2, operational range of 7, and bombard strength of 1
-Added the German FW190 fighter which has a cost of 7, attack of 5, defense of 2, operational range of 4, and bombard strength of 1
-Added the American F4F Wildcat which has a cost of 7, attack of 4, defense of 3, operational range of 4, and bombard strength of 1
-Added the Bristol Beaufighter for the English which has a cost of 7, attack of 4, defense of 2, operational range of 6, and bombard strength of 1

***Questions I Have***
---Should I make all fighters be able to land on carriers or only certain ones? If only certain ones, which ones?
---Should I make all fighters and bombers have lethal land and sea bombardment, or only certain ones? If only certain ones, which ones?
---I want to add the Sturmovick unit that comes with PTW, but I can't find any information on it, does anyone have any good information about it?
---Do the new unit stats listed here seem to work alright or do you think I should change things?

This should be the right file its my own personal mod designed to make civs diferent not just in name but in game play as well.

I have changed so much I cant even begin to describe it all. So look around the file and tell my what you like.

O as for the governments there are reasons for the stats and the name Corporate Government could be changed to Fascism. At least going by Tarkeel's post.

Top Bottom