Mod switcher

Hi Tdb,

I tried the new version but it gave me a compatibility issue.

All settings were correct, then tried to create mod MegaModv1.1 ( http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=148486 )

It was nearly finished when it crashed on the UnitInfo's and WinXP wanted to report an error which would include a file on compatibility. I'm not running anything else then XP firewall and firefox so shouldn't be a problem there.

I can regenerate this error over and over, would you have any use for the compatibility file or the WinXP error log?

The WinXP error log is not much use to me. I don't know what the compatibility file is, but you could send it just in case. Also, if you could zip all the Civ4Mod files involved and send them to me, that would save me a great deal of work. You can put the files in http://www.filefactory.com for example.

hi all
im having a problem,
it seems that i can add every mod that doesnt contain the unitinfo xml file
the promlam crashes ...
i wanna mostly it happaned when i treid to use a civilzation mod - like civarmy civ pack with another mod like mega mod for instance....

anybody can help?

tdb said:
The WinXP error log is not much use to me. I don't know what the compatibility file is, but you could send it just in case. Also, if you could zip all the Civ4Mod files involved and send them to me, that would save me a great deal of work. You can put the files in http://www.filefactory.com for example.

Actually the compatability error occured on a fresh civmodder without any Mods created. Whilst i was creating the first mod (megamodV1, link is in earlier post) civmodder crashed and gave the error report.

I'll send you the compat.file
EDIT: its attached to this post (small txt)View attachment c04_appcompat.txt

Hm, seems like I have released a broken version... I will try to fix the crashes and post a new version after that. Meanwhile, please use version 0.2 instead.

I think I got it fixed... At least I was able to create a diff of MegaMod as well as various other mods without crashes.

However, I'm at my parents' place for christmas and I don't have my Windows development box here. So unless someone else volunteers to compile the program for Windows (I'll give the source on request), you'll have to wait until after christmas.

In any case, merry christmas for everyone!

It seems to be working for me, the incorporation of the expanded elements I mentioned now seems to be working properly though it inserted the name space tag to the element and the lines were a bit odd looking.

<BonusProductionModifiers><BonusProductionModifier xmlns="x-schema:CIV4UnitSchema.xml">
<BonusType>BONUS_OIL</BonusType>
<iProductonModifier>100</iProductonModifier>
</BonusProductionModifier></BonusProductionModifiers>

CIV dosen't mind the fact that it looks funny, its still valid XML. Nice work tbd I will keep checking out this latest build .It can crash on me but so did the last build, the patern seems to be that if I have created a Mod without restarting the program I will get a crash when attempting to merge. As long as I just close and reopen the program and then merge first I seem to be fine.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!

well
i treid to merge a mod - it did load the mods with no problem like in version 0.3, but when i treid working the mod, it did not worked properly - it gave some errors on the xml files i think somthing about the units.

hope you can make it work...

thanks.

That was most likly a genuine collision ware the 2 mods attempted to change the same value of a Unit, Modswitcher cant desided which change should be used, hopefully a system of resolving these collisions will be added in the future. For the meantime you just need to make shure to dont mix mods that have such collisions.

EDIT - I had another idea that might be of use in a future version, Dependencies!!
As we know lots of Moders are borrowing and extending content created by others, say for example someone adds Saltpeter as a resorce and then someone else makes this Resorce a Pre-requisite for Greniders. If this second Mod gets applied without the first Civ4 will throw an XML error. To avoid this the User should be prevented from merging mods without also merging all of that Mods Dependecies as well.

When you create a merge file you should have an option to enter Dependencies (atleast one possibly more), only other Merge files you already have can be assigned as Dependencies. A new Dependecies element in the merge file holds the information and when you see your checkbox list anything with a Dependency is indented and underneath its parent in heirarchical fashion. Checking a mod with a Dependency will automaticaly check its upward chain of parent Dependences, likewise unchecking the parent will uncheck the child mods. If a Mods Dependency cant be found (cause you removed the Dependency somehow) then a red X is shown in the check box and the Mod cant be selected or merged.

Impaler[WrG] said:
It seems to be working for me, the incorporation of the expanded elements I mentioned now seems to be working properly though it inserted the name space tag to the element and the lines were a bit odd looking.

Yeah, I have some problems getting nice looking input from the XML lib I'm using... But as you mentioned, it's still valid XML. Just not human-readable.

Dependencies are indeed a good idea. However, for that feature to be efficient, mod makers are required to distribute their mods in the Civ4Mod format, which not everyone may be ready to do. Don't get me wrong here - it would be great if mods were distributed in this way since the format is superior in many ways. Much less compatibility problems when the game itself is patched.

keldath said:
i treid to merge a mod - it did load the mods with no problem like in version 0.3, but when i treid working the mod, it did not worked properly - it gave some errors on the xml files i think somthing about the units.

You may be referring to the problems caused by the 1.09 patch changing certain values for all units, which broke merging 1.0 mods unless you had a difference file made with 1.0. The other possibility, as Impaler said, is a genuine conflict between the mods.

You can merge them IF they dont alter the same element values.

So for example one persons feels Archers are too strong and changes their power to 2. Another Moder feels their too weak and changes the power to 4. If you tried to merge thouse mods you would get a collision. Now if one Mod had affected cost to build and the other had changed its power then their would be no conflict (except ofcorse you would likly screw the game balancing of the 2 seperate mods). Later version might give you some kind of popup screen that asks you to choose between conflicting data.

it's a coll idea. but i think i can be done much more simply. i have read in the german civforum that one hase just copied the link on the desktop and wrote at the end of the destination-line ("Ziel") *-mod= modname*
so you can make some links and when you want to play a specific mod, just start the link it belongs. it runs perfectly for me :)
see on pic:

Attachments

• mod.jpg
    mod.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 302
This program is for combining multiple mods together not simply selection which Mod you want to load at startup (which is easily done by adjusting the Config file, which is what I suspect the program your showing us dose). It will eventualy eliminate the hugly tedious task of cutting and pasting together XML and python files. If you have spent any time doing this you would realize the complexity and time savings involved. Now we just need to work all the bugs out...:crazyeye:

Hey Tdb,

Have you launched the modswitcher on any german forums? Germany has a lot of CIV modders and gamers who could probably be of great help. And i don't think you would have to be afraid of the language because a lot of Germans are perfectly able to speak English :)

P.S. currently at my parents' home, forgot to bring CIV :cry: I think i'll keep Christmas short this year :lol:

Top Bottom