1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[mod] TOTAL REALISM 2.0

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Houman, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Ankenaton

Ankenaton "The Heretic"

Roosevelt was Secretary of the Navy prior to his entering politics. Prior to the reformulation of the Presidential cabinet after WWII you had the Secretary of War (in charge of the Army - land warfare) and the Secretary of the Navy (The Navy and the Marines; and during wartime the Coast Guard). Those who held these positions formulated policy, helped to define what were the strategic interests, and also were integral contributers to the overall strategies of the two services during wartime. So Roosevelt in my opinion should have a modicum of aggression as one of his "traits". Today each service has its own secretary (the Marines do not as they are part of the Navy) who fall under the jurisdiction of the Secretary of Defense.

2. Ankenaton

Ankenaton "The Heretic"

As a former Secretary of the Navy, Roosevelt had a keen awareness of Japan's strategic strengths, deficiencies, needs and a understanding of their possible/probable war fighting strategies. If he did not know with precision as to the date/time of the attack; he sure had a great sense of anticipation as indicated by some very prominent changes in doctrine (emphasizing the carrier over the battleship); his choice of commanders on the scene at Pearl Habor; and prior to the outbreak of hostilities Roosevelt had ordered that the Pacific fleet be home-based out of Pearl Harbor and not San Diego. Lastly, as a former secretary Roosevelt maintained close ties with the chain of command within the Navy and he most certainly was privy to the high level discussions concerning Japanese motives and strategic deployments.

3. Scorpion II

Scorpion II Chieftain

First I would like to echo the comments of another individual, the people who spent a lot of time creating something better/different should be thanked not criticized. If you don’t like it don’t use it. The individuals who spend all of this time could just keep the effort to themselves vs giving everyone else a FREE upgrade that we may or may not enjoy. We should be encouraging this effort vs complaining.

Second, I have a question. Obviously I am doing something wrong or just plain impatient. Whenever I conquer a capital it never seems to expand off of a single square even after the period of discontent following the take over. Other cities follow the typical pattern. The population starves to one. I have not read through all of the responses so forgive me if this has already been answered. People have played this mod to completion so I have to assume I have missed something.

Again thank you for all the effort......

4. Houman

Houman TR Team Leader

Hi Scorpion & Ankenaton,

Thanks for your comments.

Scorpion, this will be fixed in the patch. I am now running the last tests. Peter seems to be away but thereafter he will be releasing the file in the download link. This might be rather tomorrow though, since he is asleep now (GMT +1).

The Patch is called 2.0.1 but will fix lots of things. Just check on Page 1 the just updated list of changes under Major and Minor changes. I am now working on the ICBM problem as the last problem...

Cya
    Houman

5. haggi

haggi Chieftain

Nothing of note to my post re mod performance, the offensive rating of crossbowmen or the movement rate of chariots. Simply my 2 cents to congrat the Mod team for the excellent work done thus far in turning a good game into a great one. I have seen some negative comments on the mod, each to their own but cant comprehend that anyone would consider this mod anything but an improvement on the original game. Keep up the good work.

6. Pisces

Pisces Chieftain

I'm not a part of the team but I'll field this one:

The culture issue you are experiencing is a known bug. They are working on it and they appear to have it fixed for their patch. In the meantime send in a missionary along with your armies. Make the missionary do all sorts of funky praying and dancing before you inviade a city if that justifies bringing him along for realism-sake. Once the city is conquered, make him turn the city into a nice shiny (insert religeon name here) cultural beacon. Before "calendar" you can also simply make Stonehenge to counter the bug. Between the founded religeon and Stonehenge your cities will be fine and grow quickly back to their former glory. If that's simply too long then by all means pillage it's gold, eat it's chickens, chase their women, spraypaint moustaches on pictures of their false gods then raze it all down to the ground. Nothing gets the point across to a stubborn Pharoah or other such leader that you mean business quite like burning their cities down! :D

7. Mexico

Mexico TR senior programmer

8. Los Tirano

Los Tirano God-King

"pillage it's gold, eat it's chickens, chase their women, spraypaint moustaches on pictures of their false gods then raze it all down to the ground"

Pisces, that is the coolest sacking of a city i have ever heard of. If only there was a deface idols option. Effect, -2 to diplomacy, You drew moustaches on our holy idols. :lol:

9. High_Elf_Lord-M

High_Elf_Lord-M Chieftain

finaly a decent mod for civ 4 cheers;)

10. Serga

Serga Civilized maniak

11. Psycadelic_Magi

Psycadelic_Magi Hippie/Philosopher/Peanut

ive installed the patch, but now when I try to play the world map i get the following error:
    Mods\"Mods\Total Realism"\ is an invalid directory, ignoring

12. saint1979

saint1979 Heavy drinker

Christ... lol, forgot to run a test again?

13. Cliff2005

Cliff2005 Chieftain

i get exactly the same. But with the normal version i simply get an error msg while loading so neither work.

14. Serga

Serga Civilized maniak

Mod dont start by shortcut. It is able to start by modify "Mod" line in Civ.ini, but World map still unavaible :(

Will wait patch for patch ...

15. PontifexMaximus

PontifexMaximus Chieftain

oh darn it...and I was really looking forward to the "white flag fix"... :D
    I wonder if I'm the only one who actually needs this fix...:crazyeye:

16. saint1979

saint1979 Heavy drinker

Well, the good thing is that football starts in just one hour :)

17. Orion43

Orion43 Chieftain

I'm playing as the Brits. I've got the home isles, part of Scandanavia, and part of France under my thumb. I've set up a couple of cities down in South Africa. One is where the Zulu barb city was, the other is one I settled on the coast. I obviously have trade routes by sea tech already, but for some reason there is no trade route tween my European and my South African cities.
    The only thing I can think of is there are barb cities along the coast, farther north in Africa, that might be blocking the trade route, but I have caravels so the trade route should skirt any barb controlled sea tile.
    I've posted a save game if any one can help me out. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Er, no file. It's a tad larger than the 500 kb limit.

18. crismac

crismac Warlord

I didn't think the NFL started for another 2 months;) .

19. Pisces

Pisces Chieftain

I'm not evil, I'm just misunderstood. :p

Also with so many Egypt fans I felt a need to give a shout out to Cleo's old Civ3 line. I'm downloading the patch so let's see what all the fuss is about. Before making fun of someone's work like "OMG! You didn't test patchorz!!!1!!" realize how annoying it must be for a bug to creep into your hard owrk. It also just might be a compatibility issue. Remeber, breathe in through the mouth and out through the nose in times of high stress like a video game not working properly. ;)

20. Toys®Us

Toys®Us Warlord

Thank you for the patch.
    "Warlords" is coming in July, so I want to keep the best MODs available for CIV4.
    (I'll buy it, don't worry).

About the random crash at startup (Civ4 needs to close...)
    Suddenly, I was not able to load the MOD, even if I delete the Civ4 cache.
    BUT if I switch the line...

; Specify a Mod folder (Mods\Mesopotamia), '0' for none
    Mod = Total Realism

to

; Specify a Mod folder (Mods\Mesopotamia), '0' for none
    Mod = 0

and load the MOD using the ADVANCED OPTIONS, no problem it seems.
    Or I'm in luck?
    :confused:

Despite the fact that I found a possible "workaround", if the problem reappears, I'll let you know.

"Something" is added or deleted from the RAM memory in the process?
    You are the experts, so...
    :D