ModCast Episode 74: "So Much Perfect"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Satisfying. The seventy-fourth episode of ModCast, entitled "So Much Perfect", is now netcasting. Lead co-host Rob "Rob (R8XFT)" Riley is joined by fellow regluar co-hosts John "Neirai" and Lee "LeeS" Shipp with first-time guest "thecrazyscotsman" in this 47m19s outing.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 02m00s | Modder's Spotlight
Profiling the works of the show's guest with emphasis on City State Packs (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) and the Kingdom of Jerusalem, all for Civilization VI, as well as modder's past record and future aspirations within the gaming community.
- 26m28s | Miscellaneous
How an honest, yet substantial, mistake led to accusations of racism leveled against a CivV/VI modding group and their response to it.
- 30m41s | Mailbag
A comment, with embedded request, in response to Episode 73 leads to an examination of the poster's own works for Civilization VI.

ModCast is the first spin-off of the Civ strategy-centric PolyCast; fellow sibling TurnCast focuses on Civ multiplay.

You really did a fantastic job of cleaning up our "transmission" problems, Dan.

I think some of my personal body discomfort came through in the background here and there. About halfway through I was starting to have um ... incontinence issues, shall we say.

I'm kind of disappointed that thecrazyscotsman doesn't actually have a Scottish accent. But another great and informative episode, nonetheless.

Obviously it was recorded before the announcement of the Expansion and its inclusion of Golden Ages. So greytiger's mod will need a bit of a rework.

You really did a fantastic job of cleaning up our "transmission" problems, Dan.
Thanks, Lee. :king:

I think some of my personal body discomfort came through in the background here and there. About halfway through I was starting to have um ... incontinence issues, shall we say.
Oh -- I had discerned nothing of the sort myself!

I'm kind of disappointed that thecrazyscotsman doesn't actually have a Scottish accent.
:lol: :lol:

But another great and informative episode, nonetheless.
Thank you kindly. :)

Always look forward to your podcasts and this was another great episode.

Really good to hear from 'thecrazyscotsman' about his experiences creating the Kingdom of Jerusalem civ and his city-state packs. Very happy to hear he has more of those on the drawing board as I have them enabled in every game I play now as they add so much variety and flavour. Also good to hear that Anno Domini is coming along.

I appreciate the feedback on the mods I have released so far, especially the more in-depth look at the Golden Ages mod (though that will be obsolete once the expansion is released unless I can find a way to re-purpose it). Regarding the suggestion on having the leader specific Golden Age abilities override the default, it's something I like the sound of. Fortunately I set the system up to be easily extended so next time I make changes to either my Mongol or Carthage mods I will implement that change.

At one point I was considering releasing a pack for the vanilla leaders along with packs for the dlc leaders that would modify the bonuses for all leaders in the game, but that fell by the wayside as other projects have taken priority. Who knows, if the Golden Ages mod survives in some other form then I may eventually get to it.

Rob. Thanks for the suggestion on textures for my leaders. I currently create my leader art primarily in GIMP. The Mongol leaders were created from a series of layers blending sections of vanilla leaders together to form the faces, while I took a different approach with the Carthage leaders by using MakeHuman to create the face which I then added lighting and some textures to. I will certainly check out the programs you mentioned though as anything that can improve my work is a good thing.

Whilst I did enjoy making the Mongol and Carthage civs (as I just missed having them in the game) I expect to release mostly game-play focused mods along the lines of the Victories and Golden Ages mods. As an example I am currently waist deep into the development of a Customizable Victories mod, a War Council mod and a Corporations mod (first screen shots can be seen in the modding discord server).

P.S. Loved that you kept in the outtakes of Rob's connection issues. Very funny with the timing of some of those disconnects. Though I can only image the level of frustration Rob would have been feeling.

Whilst I did enjoy making the Mongol and Carthage civs (as I just missed having them in the game) I expect to release mostly game-play focused mods along the lines of the Victories and Golden Ages mods. As an example I am currently waist deep into the development of a Customizable Victories mod, a War Council mod and a Corporations mod (first screen shots can be seen in the modding discord server).
It's interesting that the TheCrazyScotsman was asked what he would do if one of his civs (like Jerusalem) was ever officially made by Firaxis. And today we got the First Look for the Mongols in the upcoming Expansion Pack. What do you plan on doing with your Mongol Mod?

It's interesting that the TheCrazyScotsman was asked what he would do if one of his civs (like Jerusalem) was ever officially made by Firaxis. And today we got the First Look for the Mongols in the upcoming Expansion Pack. What do you plan on doing with your Mongol Mod?
I just watched the Mongols first look and was happy to see they went for Genghis. I will likely keep the current Mongols out there for anyone not on the expansion, and release a leader pack with my leaders for the official Mongol civ. May need to do the same for Carthage, though I don't think they will appear in this expansion.

Always look forward to your podcasts and this was another great episode.
Thank you kindly. :)

P.S. Loved that you kept in the outtakes of Rob's connection issues. Very funny with the timing of some of those disconnects.
:D

Typically there is a blooper reel included, and what you refer to contributed to it's longer-than-usual length.

Just relistened to this one. Standouts:
1) Rob's initial question to TheCrazyScotsman was actually compiled from about half a dozen attempts Rob tried to get out over the course of the whole cast. Great job salvaging that, Dan!
2) Correctly predicting loyalty!
3) Talking about golden ages when golden ages are a thing now (rip greyTiger)

1) Rob's initial question to TheCrazyScotsman was actually compiled from about half a dozen attempts Rob tried to get out over the course of the whole cast. Great job salvaging that, Dan!
Thanks. :)

2) Correctly predicting loyalty!
Well done for that.

Top Bottom