[BTS] Modding out inflation?

MythrianXeras

Chieftain
Hi all, I've been trying for quite some time to get rid of inflation so I can play some extremely long custom games, but it seems none of the changes I'm making in the GameSpeedInfo xml files seem to be working for this purpose. Changing the value of <iInflationPercent>insert_value</iInflationPercent> to 0 or 9999 seemed to have no effect, as I still saw 6% inflation by 70 BC in both games, and I can't seem to figure out for the life of me what this value even does. Does anyone have any suggestions on what value to change this to, or if I'm even working on the right asset at all? The inflation mechanic in this game seems to make playthroughs past 2050 just unbearable so I would be very glad to get rid of it.

I remember the mod History Rewritten got rid of the inflation mechanic a while ago. The mod is made by Xynth, so maybe you should contact him and see how he got rid of it in the code. Although forgive me if my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think he used Python or the DLL to solve the issue.

In Civ4GameSpeedInfo.xml there is also the tag iInflationOffset. Setting that to 500 should (in theory, I have not tried) make it so that inflation doesn't start until turn 500. At least that is what the Modiki tells me: http://modiki.civfanatics.com/index.php?title=Civ4GameSpeedInfo

There is also iInflationPercent and iAIInflationPercent in the file Civ4HandicapInfo.xml.

EDIT:
I just checked. It seems like the iInflationOffset is a negative number, so -500 (minus 500) would be correct if you don't want inflation until 2050 (normal speed).

In Civ4GameSpeedInfo.xml there is also the tag iInflationOffset. Setting that to 500 should (in theory, I have not tried) make it so that inflation doesn't start until turn 500. At least that is what the Modiki tells me: http://modiki.civfanatics.com/index.php?title=Civ4GameSpeedInfo

There is also iInflationPercent and iAIInflationPercent in the file Civ4HandicapInfo.xml.

EDIT:
I just checked. It seems like the iInflationOffset is a negative number, so -500 (minus 500) would be correct if you don't want inflation until 2050 (normal speed).

Interesting, so if I just set the value to something incredibly high, it would effectively never occur in-game. At the same time, I'm a bit curious if there's some way I could keep inflation in the game with a minimal level (if only to promote less aggressive expansion by some AI).

At the same time, I'm a bit curious if there's some way I could keep inflation in the game with a minimal level (if only to promote less aggressive expansion by some AI).

If you look in the CIV4HandicapInfo.xml, you can set both your (iInflationPercent) and the AI's (iAIInflationPercent) inflation-levels. Just compare the numbers of all the different difficulty-levels, and you will get a feel for how to set your own experimental values. Lower values leads to lower inflation.

[...] or if I'm even working on the right asset at all?
That might be the problem. If, for a test, I copy CIV4GameSpeedInfo.xml from BtS to the AI Auto Play mod, change iInflationPercent from 30 to 0 for Normal speed, start a game with the mod on Normal speed and run AI Auto Play for 200 turns, then I see 0 inflation on the Financial Advisor for my civ and also the AI civs (when I switch to them through Alt+Z). Not sure if it would also work for old savegames; I expect that it would.

Top Bottom