Modding Tools located

Dale, could you please elaborate with Nexus? I am having a lot of trouble with these ****ing DDS files. Yes, plugins installed, and I've used every graphics app under the sun to open them, but they won't open properly (magenta box) or at all (crash the app). Even programs that convert DDS files into other image files can't open it or even recognize them as DDS files!

Civ5 uses a custom written DDS compressor, so no known importer will work with them. Only Nexus.

They only DDS format that Civ5 can read outside of its custom ones, is no compression, RGB with alpha.

Unless you go through Nexus (which converts it to a Civ5 format).

Dale, you didn't elaborate on Nexus :), I'm assuming then it's a tool that will be provided from Firaxis?

Make your own in a graphics program, import via Nexus, create a mod via ModBuddy and add your Nexus exported graphic, run. :)

Good. The water (ocean) is fantastic the terrain is reasonable (if somewhat stylized and static) but the rivers are horrible.

Truthfully, I'm curious where all the graphical oomph! went, as the overhead is high, the return is 'meh'.

Rivers look crap on my rig too. Though I got a dx9 laptop and put it down to that. :)

It's not the DX9, I'm running DX10 and everything on max and it looks the same.

NEEDING the mod tools really bites. I have GOT to do something about the production slowness compared to tech speed...

unless one of you people with Nexus access already has something like THAT up. :crazyeye:

Well, that is good. I have only started one game, but so far, I am not liking the randomizing feature. Hopefully later attempts will be better, but below are some of the issues that I came across with my first map:

• The only horses near me are out on a solitary island far away from my starting city. Yeah, I am sure that future maps will be better, but I hope that this does not become the norm.
  • I started near the arctic region. This was something that I did not like about the "randomizer" in Civ IV and why I preferred making my own maps (as much of a pain as it was in IV) or preplanned maps of others.

OK... that is not a large list, but significant to me. I know some people don't like pre-planned maps, but I do. :)

Come on Worldbuilder... come to me quickly :)

Dale, thanks for all your hard work!

Could you just confirm that without ModBuddy, even an XML tweak in a new mod won't work? Is it possible to recreate what it will do manually and if it is, are you allowed to tell us?

Would go a long way to explaining why I can't get my extended Marathon mod working at all!

The SDK will come as a DLC (15 USD/10 GBP/15 EUR), and you have to be certified by Firaxis to be able to download it and you must agree that all rights of your mods are the property of Firaxis and that they are allowed to sell your mods for money.

Moderator Action: Posting false info about CiV & the publisher which would tend to deter people from buying the game is antithetical to the spirit & intent of CFC. Tread carefully...
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

You can't do any modding till the SDK is released, as one part of the SDK is ModBuddy (the tool that creates the underlying mod architecture).

Hope that answers some questions. :)

So I can't even make changes to the XML files? I'll try when I get the game...

Well, that is good. I have only started one game, but so far, I am not liking the randomizing feature. Hopefully later attempts will be better, but below are some of the issues that I came across with my first map:

• The only horses near me are out on a solitary island far away from my starting city. Yeah, I am sure that future maps will be better, but I hope that this does not become the norm.
  • I started near the arctic region. This was something that I did not like about the "randomizer" in Civ IV and why I preferred making my own maps (as much of a pain as it was in IV) or preplanned maps of others.

OK... that is not a large list, but significant to me. I know some people don't like pre-planned maps, but I do. :)

Come on Worldbuilder... come to me quickly :)

ah, your still thinking in civ4 terms. you don't need to get that horses you can find a citystate wit them. and I too tha=ouigt arctic starts were terrible but they are plusses up with deer etc. the only places that I think could be a "bad" start are no hills or no rivers but dcided to play through and did well.

The SDK will come as a DLC (15 USD/10 GBP/15 EUR), and you have to be certified by Firaxis to be able to download it and you must agree that all rights of your mods are the property of Firaxis and that they are allowed to sell your mods for money.

This is not true, we don't know anything about it.

Could you post a link to your source for that?

Could you post a link to your source for that?

It's completely false. 2K have already confirmed it will be available for free in the Tools menu of the Steam game library.

Top Bottom