Modding Tools located

Make your own in a graphics program, import via Nexus, create a mod via ModBuddy and add your Nexus exported graphic, run. :)

Doesn't do us any damn good if they don't give us the tools. Why weren't they made available upon release? Idiots. Sid Meier didn't touch this game. I refuse to believe it. This game is so screwed up it'll take the modders a good six months to make something nearing enjoyable. Every day they hold these tools back (for whatever reason, I mean they obviously released the game before it was ready why not the SDK) is a day the modders can't use to break this game down to it's most basic components and build it back up so it's somewhere near as good as Civ IV.

Right now... it's horrid. Have you tried playing online? Try it. And if that doesn't piss you off... try for a few hours to make a mod. Oh wait you can't...

I want to scream and throw my laptop. I want to cuss out anybody even remotely involved in the creation of this monster, including you DALE.

And yet, I'm still playing it. There is SO much potential. So much potential. PLEASE let us fix this. Dale, I hope your tools are as amazing as you say. I'm very excited for that.

Doesn't do us any damn good if they don't give us the tools. Why weren't they made available upon release? Idiots. Sid Meier didn't touch this game. I refuse to believe it. This game is so screwed up it'll take the modders a good six months to make something nearing enjoyable. Every day they hold these tools back (for whatever reason, I mean they obviously released the game before it was ready why not the SDK) is a day the modders can't use to break this game down to it's most basic components and build it back up so it's somewhere near as good as Civ IV.

Right now... it's horrid. Have you tried playing online? Try it. And if that doesn't piss you off... try for a few hours to make a mod. Oh wait you can't...

I want to scream and throw my laptop. I want to cuss out anybody even remotely involved in the creation of this monster, including you DALE.

And yet, I'm still playing it. There is SO much potential. So much potential. PLEASE let us fix this. Dale, I hope your tools are as amazing as you say. I'm very excited for that.

Quite possibly because they wished to make sure the tools were entirely bug free? Or maybe because they wanted to give people a few days to play the game without modding?

The potential in the game is outstanding. It is also a good game in it's own right; It is the first civ game to hold my attention through multiple games, without mods. That alone speaks wonders for me.

Thanks for the attitude. :)

Note: I am not a Firaxis employee. I have nothing to do with the development of Civ5 in any official capacity. I'm actually in Australia, and a IT project manager for a company that makes dunny paper.

If you want my "preview" of the modding tools, go read it in my blog (in my sig).

Just so you're aware, we didn't get the mod tools for Civ4 until 6 months after release either. So a couple of days after release for Civ5 is NOTHING!

Oh and lastly, Sid Meier has had nothing to do with designing Civ (except Revolutions) since Civ1.

They sure didn't make the game bug free. Why not release the tools and let the community fix those too... Instead of arguing with people on the forums jump into the code and fix the game... God knows I would. Sadly, I paid 50 dollars for this piece of crap with the understanding I'd be able to mod it... Because that's what I was told. Guess I didn't get what I paid for. Lol I just came across a thread where a few of you diety types told a guy that if he changed the parent game files he'd be hacking the game and to refrain... This used to be called modding and I'm pretty sure the guy paid for those files... I'm sure that he'd love to go about it the right way but the people that have the tools already because they are self described hard core gamers seem reluctant to share the tools with the rest of the community. Lol, don't get on me for being an unsatisfied customer. I'm allowed to be mad at whoever had a part in this until I get my moneys worth. Or I suppose they could just give me my money back. That'd be fine at this point.

stop your whining you little babies. Go suck your thumb on 2k's forum.

Moderator Action: Flaming other members contributes nothing to the discussion. Restrict remarks to to the situation -not personal attacks.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

They sure didn't make the game bug free. Why not release the tools and let the community fix those too... Instead of arguing with people on the forums jump into the code and fix the game... God knows I would. Sadly, I paid 50 dollars for this piece of crap with the understanding I'd be able to mod it... Because that's what I was told. Guess I didn't get what I paid for. Lol I just came across a thread where a few of you diety types told a guy that if he changed the parent game files he'd be hacking the game and to refrain... This used to be called modding and I'm pretty sure the guy paid for those files... I'm sure that he'd love to go about it the right way but the people that have the tools already because they are self described hard core gamers seem reluctant to share the tools with the rest of the community. Lol, don't get on me for being an unsatisfied customer. I'm allowed to be mad at whoever had a part in this until I get my moneys worth. Or I suppose they could just give me my money back. That'd be fine at this point.

You would've noticed that "us deity types" (or at least I have been) not saying don't do it, but to be wary doing it. Yes you can change the core files, but first update through Steam and it resets them. Oh, and don't forget making a mistake and killing your installation.

As I've mentioned, I have NO official connection to Firaxis, 2K or the ability to give you the mod tools.

May I also point out that depending how you purchased Civ5 (Steam or box) you would have noticed a disclaimer on the Steam store page or on the back of the box that quite clearly states:

*Modding SDK available post launch as a free download.

There's no need to get angry, and there's no need to be nasty to other people in the community. The mod tools will come when they're ready. :)

If you're willing to work on art for others.... I need at least 8 images for Social Policy trees. :lol: Plus associated buttons.

PM me and I'll go into detail if you're interested. :p They... Aren't your standard SPs.

I'm going to create a fake account and pretend I'm an artist just to see what you're up to.

Do you want to collaborate? what buttons do you need and I can take a whack at trying to do a model.

PS et al - Nexus lets you convert a blender exported FBX file to a Civ5 gr2 file (for models)

That brings to mind a good question...

How will collaboration work with the mod tools? Will poeple be able to share "works in progress"?

That brings to mind a good question...

How will collaboration work with the mod tools? Will poeple be able to share "works in progress"?

They have said that you can still distribute mods in the traditional way, uploading to Civ Fanatics or whatever. The mod browser is just a new way to distribute them. I imagine the early WIP version will just be downloadable from within these forums.

They have said that you can still distribute mods in the traditional way, uploading to Civ Fanatics or whatever. The mod browser is just a new way to distribute them. I imagine the early WIP version will just be downloadable from within these forums.

Yep, I got two in the file database already to prove the method works. ;)

Sorry, you'll have to wait for the mod tool release to find out.

Sorry, you'll have to wait for the mod tool release to find out.

Is it okay if I do that thing they do at the end of 70s sitcoms?

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaale.

Etc.

Actually, another question, hopefully not too off topic. When I click to start the WWII mod the Play button doesn't seem to do anything. No biggie, I got plenty to keep me going, just wondered if this was a general problem I should wait for a fix or whether something was wrong my end?

Actually, another question, hopefully not too off topic. When I click to start the WWII mod the Play button doesn't seem to do anything. No biggie, I got plenty to keep me going, just wondered if this was a general problem I should wait for a fix or whether something was wrong my end?

Yeah I took it off the hub because of this bug. It'll be back one day, just not today. :p

If you're willing to work on art for others.... I need at least 8 images for Social Policy trees. :lol: Plus associated buttons.

PM me and I'll go into detail if you're interested. :p They... Aren't your standard SPs.

Hi, Valkrionn

I work with Photoshop and other graphic tools... i can try to help with the images and buttons. Do you have any model or ideas to i see what can i do? Sorry my english is not so good

Few things are just horribly wrong with this statement.

1. What game release is ever bug free? No, it's not completely free of bugs, but there's already been one patch out.
  2. You will be able to mod it. Quite clearly labeled on the box and on steam that the tools will be made available post-release, nothing new here from Civ4 either.
  3. Actually, we told him that it's generally a bad idea to manipulate core game files, and that it should be approached carefully but to otherwise go ahead. I was one of those people, so thanks for putting words in my mouth. :p
  4. Where in the hell did I describe myself as a 'hard core gamer'? The people who have the tools atm are beta testers, no more. We have no ability of sharing those tools.

I'm going to create a fake account and pretend I'm an artist just to see what you're up to.

Won't work. :p

Hi, Valkrionn

I work with Photoshop and other graphic tools... i can try to help with the images and buttons. Do you have any model or ideas to i see what can i do? Sorry my english is not so good

I may get back to you in a few days, need to finalize design first. ;)

Main thing at this point is coming up with names....

Top Bottom