1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Modern Infantry

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Released Mods' started by Lord Shadow, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

Modern Infantry

Version 1

Steam Workshop

The Mechanized Infantry unit has a couple of cool-looking modern infantrymen flanking the main APC/IFV unit. Ever since Civ3 I've wanted the late game military not to lose its humanity and become entirely vehicle-based. Civ6 does the job, partially, with the inclusion of Modern AT, Spec Ops and the presence of those two guys in the Mech Inf formation.

But I felt that wasn't enough. So I took those guys and made a full formation with them. Being a second Melee unit in the Information Era, butting into the Mech-Armor-AT triad, the question was how to make it worthy and distinct. So here's my attempt at a "light" type of modern infantry with a couple of quirks in addition to being resourceless and cheaper than the later Mechanized Infantry unit.

MODERN INFANTRY
    Unit

Promotion Class: Recon Hybrid
    Base Cost: 620 :c5production: Production
    Maintenance: 7 :c5gold: Gold
    Required Tech: Synthetic Materials

Atomic era melee unit. +5 :c5strength: Combat Strength in Hills, Woods and Rainforest terrain.

:c5strength: Melee Strength: 80
    :c5moves: Movement: 3

PROMOTION TREE: RECON HYBRID
    Tier I: Ranger, Alpine
    Tier II: Commando, Amphibious
    Tier III: Hardened, Urban Warfare
    Tier IV: Elite Guard

NOTES
    • It's a Recon/Melee hybrid, since I figured the extra mobility in rough terrain would make sense. The +20 Combat Strength Ambush promotion of the Recon tree would've been overpowered in this context, so it was reduced via a milder alternative, Hardened (+10).
    • Maintenance is on par with Atomic era units, 1 less than Information era units.
    • With Synthetic Materials, it's unlocked alongside the Helicopter, on the cusp of the next era.
    • Production-wise, it's between Modern AT (+40) and the Helicopter (+20), and Mechanized Infantry (-30).
    • Tangentially, Mechanized Infantry gets a movement buff (from 3 to 4) so it can keep up with tanks (that's the idea of the general concept, after all), and to set it further apart from regular Modern Infantry.
    Kudos to Deliverator for providing insight into Civ6 unit and graphics modding!

Compatible languages: English, Spanish, German. More translations welcome!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  2. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

Now released! :xmascheers:

EDIT: Here's a link to the original brainstorming thread, with some insights into the design choices.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019