Modern Infantry

Lord Shadow

General

Modern Infantry

Version 1

Steam Workshop

The Mechanized Infantry unit has a couple of cool-looking modern infantrymen flanking the main APC/IFV unit. Ever since Civ3 I've wanted the late game military not to lose its humanity and become entirely vehicle-based. Civ6 does the job, partially, with the inclusion of Modern AT, Spec Ops and the presence of those two guys in the Mech Inf formation.

But I felt that wasn't enough. So I took those guys and made a full formation with them. Being a second Melee unit in the Information Era, butting into the Mech-Armor-AT triad, the question was how to make it worthy and distinct. So here's my attempt at a "light" type of modern infantry with a couple of quirks in addition to being resourceless and cheaper than the later Mechanized Infantry unit.

MODERN INFANTRY
Unit

Promotion Class: Recon Hybrid
Base Cost: 620 :c5production: Production
Maintenance: 7 :c5gold: Gold
Required Tech: Synthetic Materials

Atomic era melee unit. +5 :c5strength: Combat Strength in Hills, Woods and Rainforest terrain.

:c5strength: Melee Strength: 80
:c5moves: Movement: 3

PROMOTION TREE: RECON HYBRID
Tier I: Ranger, Alpine
Tier II: Commando, Amphibious
Tier III: Hardened, Urban Warfare
Tier IV: Elite Guard

NOTES
  • It's a Recon/Melee hybrid, since I figured the extra mobility in rough terrain would make sense. The +20 Combat Strength Ambush promotion of the Recon tree would've been overpowered in this context, so it was reduced via a milder alternative, Hardened (+10).
  • Maintenance is on par with Atomic era units, 1 less than Information era units.
  • With Synthetic Materials, it's unlocked alongside the Helicopter, on the cusp of the next era.
  • Production-wise, it's between Modern AT (+40) and the Helicopter (+20), and Mechanized Infantry (-30).
  • Tangentially, Mechanized Infantry gets a movement buff (from 3 to 4) so it can keep up with tanks (that's the idea of the general concept, after all), and to set it further apart from regular Modern Infantry.
Kudos to Deliverator for providing insight into Civ6 unit and graphics modding!

Compatible languages: English, Spanish, German. More translations welcome!

Attachments

• modern_infantry1.jpg
    modern_infantry1.jpg
    658.8 KB · Views: 886
  • modern_infantry2.jpg
    modern_infantry2.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 709
  • modern_infantry3.jpg
    modern_infantry3.jpg
    490.6 KB · Views: 640
  • modern_infantry4.jpg
    modern_infantry4.jpg
    544.1 KB · Views: 661
Last edited:
Now released! :xmascheers:

EDIT: Here's a link to the original brainstorming thread, with some insights into the design choices.

Last edited:
Great mod.

would love to see this evolve - in particular having this unit inherit some more advanced spec ops capabilities. Most notably the ability to attack enemies without declaring war!

I see in the screenshots you have also an insurgent and mercenary unit. Where are they from??

Great mod.

would love to see this evolve - in particular having this unit inherit some more advanced spec ops capabilities. Most notably the ability to attack enemies without declaring war!

I see in the screenshots you have also an insurgent and mercenary unit. Where are they from??
They're from my other mod, Revenge of the Barbarians. Link's on my signature!

Did you rework all promo tree completely?? And is this mod for Vanilla or also for expansion packs as well or GS Only?
I just added a unit class, adding as little as possible. It works on all versions of the game.

Top Bottom