modern troops move far too slowly both in realism and game enjoyment

madeirabhoy

Chieftain
so I'm going all out for domination victory, its the 1900s but I'm one thing away from science victory and i have tanks and air support... I've taken out a few capitals and just got to move to another continent to get the last 2.

and it takes years. and years.

from a game point of view its a bit unrealistic, but also just in terms of playing. i build a tank in my main city and it takes 14 turns to get to where i want it to, so I'm at war and have tons of tanks who won't get there until years after I've won the war.

Last edited:
You use airlift function at all? I'm not saying your complaint is without merit, but I've often plopped an otherwise-not-very-useful settlement on another continent, just to have an airlift and healing base for invasions.

You use airlift function at all? I'm not saying your complaint is without merit, but I've often plopped an otherwise-not-very-useful settlement on another continent, just to have an airlift and healing base for invasions.

tbh i didnt even know that you could do that in civ vi, and now I'm looking I'm struggling to get it to work.

You need the Airport (not just the Aerodrome). Unit must be on or adjacent to the city or aerodrome at any point of its move. It can then lift to any similar hex of another airport, which ends its movement, though only airports are hi lighted.

If you're taking the hard route and embarking units, build/conquer the Great Lighthouse.

Alternatively, build a bunch of nukes and send Nuclear Submarines to launch them. Then a couple Destroyers just to take the cities.

Hope they patch in the paratrooper / xcom line someday. As well as marines, who should upgrade to robosoldiers, like in "edge of tomorrow". Might make late game wars a bit more exciting.

Civ6 successfully neutered "one strategy to rule them all" but unfortunately late game is a drag.

Xcom troopers would be extremely overpowered due to how strong pillaging is in Civ 6.

Except, of course, you can rebalance them for the new game.

Hope they patch in the paratrooper / xcom line someday. As well as marines, who should upgrade to robosoldiers, like in "edge of tomorrow". Might make late game wars a bit more exciting.
Won't be in a patch. But expect they will be in an expansion. Sorry semantics :p

I miss paratroopers badly. Feels like something big is missing when going on a Domination run. I could care less about XCOM units, since those are not real and kinda kill the immersion anyway. They could make Paratroopers evolve into a Special Forces unit that visually halo jumps instead. They could visually look like British SAS or SEALs/Delta Force.

If they make them, I am pretty sure the production cost will probably be high as a kite, like most of the fun end game stuff, like nukes....

Wouldn't be a problem if we had railroads that worked like back in the Civ4 days. I know we have modern roads etc., but they suck. And 1 UPT makes moving all your units on roads nearly impossible.

Dominations victories can be tedious. But I still enjoyed my last one. I didn't just go for the capitals, I took every single city except one, and in my last 3 civilizations conquered, I took every single city (saving the capital for last on my last civ conquered). Obviously you want to move your troops around so you aren't going back and forth across your empire. Best start out covering your back door so you don't get hit from behind when you send all your troops out to another direction. Ideally you are heading in a circular direction and not doing too much backtracking.

Last edited:
Wouldn't be a problem if we had railroads that worked like back in the Civ4 days. I know we have modern roads etc., but they suck. And 1 UPT makes moving all your units on roads nearly impossible.

Dominations victories can be tedious. But I still enjoyed my last one. I didn't just go for the capitals, I took every single city except one, and in my last 3 civilizations conquered, I took every single city (saving the capital for last on my last civ conquered). Obviously you want to move your troops around so you aren't going back and forth across your empire. Best start out covering your back door so you don't get hit from behind when you send all your troops out to another direction. Ideally you are heading in a circular direction and not doing too much backtracking.
That's an interesting way of doing your Domination Victory, taking every city--I should try that. I miss Conquest Victory from Civ IV, and I find Domination in Civ 6 too easy because of the lack of cultural borders that let you easily march units right up to their capitals and other cities to take them out.

I just enjoyed seeing the mini map painted all grey (I was playing Germany). Still reminds me of conquering the world back in the Civ2 days. Can't do it all at once of course, amenity issues. In between attacks I keep my units staged near where they'll see action next. That's when it's nice to make sure early on no one can hit you from behind. Otherwise it's constant shuffling of units.

Another interestng take is covering the world in fluorescent green. :D

That's an interesting way of doing your Domination Victory, taking every city--I should try that. I miss Conquest Victory from Civ IV, and I find Domination in Civ 6 too easy because of the lack of cultural borders that let you easily march units right up to their capitals and other cities to take them out.

I always saw the domination of "be the only one still owning your original capital" more as a means to implement "conquer the world" instead of a goal in itself...

I don't like conquering too much because, after you gain enough momentum, you don't need any additional unit, but you can't stop city production. so you'll have every single turn dozens of cities and you'll have to telll them to basically do nothing. takes lot of time. I prefer to only take capitals so I keep the hassle at a minimum. If I weren't fishing for achievements, I'd stop playing after I conquered enough that taking the rest is really only a matter of time.

Anyway, what I find most ridiculous is that a galley has the same movement of a destroier. I wonder why the heck did they bother putting combustion engines on ships if a deck of oarmens can move it just as fast...

maybe they could let you build highways with builder actions.

I wonder what would be the acceptable answer here.

We can either slow down early units of allow modern ones to travel half the world in a turn. That's the difference between a Warrior on foot and Helicopters, if we want to preserve speed scaling.

Wouldn't be surprised to see transport related additions in an expansion.

I wonder what would be the acceptable answer here.

We can either slow down early units of allow modern ones to travel half the world in a turn. That's the difference between a Warrior on foot and Helicopters, if we want to preserve speed scaling.
Don't forget that the year-jumps between turns slow down passively, so in terms of "immersion" relative unit movement goes up if active movement stays the same.

Not that it really matters though, the important thing is that the territory that your units have to cover grows so much that their ability to move around must grow as well if unit mobility is meant to be a thing in terms of gameplay.

I much prefer having a mobile army over having to have units stationed everywhere.

Top Bottom