Modern Unit Graphics

Hmm AAPV7's you say...

https://s1.scalemates.com/products/img/4/2/4/313424-15518-98.jpg

Just an idea if you bog down, the ROK marines are some tough nuts in the east!

I'll bear that one in mind.... ;)

Strelok, a question about modern Russian tank camo, as you seem clued up on these things. I'm currently revamping my Russki tanks in Russian and Ukrainian colours. The latter seem easy: most of their tanks seem to be mono-coloured in the age-old olive green with the addition of white 'invasion' stripes and crosses to distinguish them from the, er, 'rebel' / Russian tanks. Some of their newer tanks (T-80UDs and T-84s) sport the 2-tone green / off-white camo.

The Russians seem to field their tanks in a range of camos, from the old Soviet mono green to green/tan, green/off-white, blue-grey/brown/green (urban?) and even a 2-tone tan/earth digital as seen in trade shows. Any ideas if there is a logical pattern here? green for temperate, tan/green for hot climate, green/off-white for cold climate maybe? Mr google seems clueless on these matters :)

Hmm, the Russian tank camo was always a complicated issiue since as much as I know the repaint is done before sending the vehicles in an active military operation.
The olive green is pretty much the standart but recently this picture was uploaded displaying a new camo applied on the Kurganets-25 IFV.

http://uploads.ru/OBpta.jpg

The other camos I've seen most of them are represented in the "Wargame" franchise, here is a link for the T-72 and T-80, you can browse the other units from the wiki style catalogue

http://wargame-series.wikia.com/wiki/T-72B
http://wargame-series.wikia.com/wiki/T-80B

There are some videos of T-90MS always shown with this camo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt4twoGnPsg

And you've most likely saw this one T-80 camo as it is T-80BV that you have drawn already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt4twoGnPsg

I am not very well informed on the Ukrainian camos, but from most videos I have seen form Donbass they fight with the T-64 and T-84 (which are very look-a-like when they put ERA on them) with a very dark tone looking almost black, possibly in order not to get confused with the olive green resistance ones.

If you need something more specific, I'll go down deeper ;)
And the somewhat logical pattern is explained in the first few lines. The military districts who recieved the vehicles chose how to paint them before a large training or an active military OP. Aka Far Eastern MD has a different camo than the Caucassian and Central Asian MD for the T-72 and could have the same for the T-80 etc.

OK, thanks for that Strelok - the key piece of info seems to be the camo is decided by the military district the tank is serving in. I've drawn tan/green camo versions of the T-72B3, T-80BV, T-80U and T-90 for the Russkis and lighter off-white/green T64BM, T-80UD and T-84 for the Ukrainians. Also standard olive green T-72B and T-72B3 for both sides....

Here's my take on the Armata family; T-14 and T-15 APC. Obviously they are massively reduced in scale compared to the rest of my Russian tanks to fit in the Civ unit slot. On the other hand, they are pretty much in scale with the M1 Abrams unit now. I'll have a go at the Kurganets-25, Boomerang and Koalitsiya SPG another time. BTW, any idea why the Kurganets appears with two different turrets? APC and Recce versions maybe?

By the look of these beasties, I'd be sh1tting myself now if I were a Western military planner - the qualitative advantage of M1A2s, Leopard 2s and Challenger 2s over Putin's tanks seems to have disappeared overnight. The T-15 IFV is particularly scary..... an APC with massively better protection than the Bradley, Warrior or Marder.

Attachments

• fairline Armata.png
    fairline Armata.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 938
Well the Kurganets-25 is the platform aka. the hull. It comes in IFV and APC configuration, both still have the prototype index ''Object xxx''. The IFV configuration has a 30mm autocannon and ATGM's while the APC is armed with a 7.62 GPMG. Which is a great leap forward in terms of protection for the infantrymen on the ride. The BMP-3 was a beast in firepower but it was still paper-ish and the BTR-80's can be penetrated by 50. cal in under 200 meters or so. While THIS ... this thing can eat HEAT rounds form MBT's, just look at that ERA !!!

(Sabot is a totally different concept :D)

And as ever, great work on the vehicles !!!

OK, finished updating post-ww2 Russian and Ukrainian tanks, and I'll shortly have infantry and APCs ready. In reality the Ukrainians have been almost exclusively using updated T-64BMs and BVs in their conflict with the rebels / Russians. Their large stockpile of T-72s is of course without a supply source for spares as the Ukrainian tank factory is a T-64/80/84 series producer, but apparently they are getting Poland to upgrade and refit them for future use. They have only a handful of T-84s as well, as they are building them first for Thailand before completing their own requirements. The Soviet-era tanks on the top row could all appear in camo in the '80's btw.

Also included the full versions for people who use them in other games like Open General and PeG:

Attachments

• fairline modern Russian n Ukrainian tanks 2015.png
    fairline modern Russian n Ukrainian tanks 2015.png
    109.9 KB · Views: 937
  • fairline russian tanks full size.png
    fairline russian tanks full size.png
    89.3 KB · Views: 974
And here's the infantry, APCs and IFV's. The Soviet troops wear a mixture of the 60's version of the tan uniforms, the old one-piece camo and the later two-piece flora pattern camo. The Russians and Ukrainians are taken from photos of the conflict in 2014 and 2015. The first three Russians wear the latest dark green/mottled mid-green pattern camo which was seen on the first troops who invaded Crimea (VDV or Spetsnaz maybe?), along with the tan / green uniform of the next guy who I guess is Spetsnaz. The rest of the Russians wear older flora or tan pattern camo.

The first four Ukranians wear the latest digital light-coloured camo, similar to British or US camo, presumably issued to the best troops and VDV. The rest wear older flora pattern camo, with the last guy being a fascist of the Azov battalion. The pics of Ukrainians in combat show two distinct Kevlar helmet types, either black or dark green and often worn without a cover.

Attachments

• fairline modern Russian n Ukrainian infantry.png
    fairline modern Russian n Ukrainian infantry.png
    89.4 KB · Views: 962
I'm going to be very busy this weekend. :D

I gather the old Ukrainian camos have been phased out in favour of this new digital pattern, but for posterity's sake, might I persuade you to do a 90s–00s-era set using the old TTsKO scheme?

Fairline, can we please see one of those T-84's Ukraine sent to Thailand, complete with (I'm assuming) Southeast Asian jungle camo?

I'm going to be very busy this weekend. :D

I gather the old Ukrainian camos have been phased out in favour of this new digital pattern, but for posterity's sake, might I persuade you to do a 90s–00s-era set using the old TTsKO scheme?

That's a great link Thorvald, thanks :goodjob:

I've updated the post above with a few Russians and Ukrainians in TTsKO camo

@ Strelok thanks :)
@ Patine: easily googled ;)

It's kinda scary how fast you turned that around. :cool: Grazie.

Hi Failrine,

I've been paying close attention to all the new Vietnam era units that you, Typhoon and Tanelorn have been designing lately. As such, I believe I'm very close to having a complete set of all the units I wanted, where in the past there was a great dearth of such units. So I want to thank you three gentleman, and all the graphics designers out there, in advance for all the great work you done over the years!

Like McMonkey's idea for his excellent SCW scenario, I plan on making good use of TNO's new unit limit feature. As such, I want to represent all the major divisional US units that fought, or were slated to be deployed to SVN, and to do so I need the divisional badges of said units.

Thanks to you I already have the following: the 1st Infantry, 1st Air Cavalry, 82nd Airborne and 101st Airborne divisions badges.

Do you think you could design the badges for the following units:

1st Armored, 4th Infantry, 5th Mechanized, 6th Infantry, 9th Infantry, 23rd Infantry, 25th Infantry divisions and the 1st and 3rd Marine divisions:

Here is a Wikipedia link that provides the insignia of each of these units:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Division_insignia_of_the_United_States_Army
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Marine_Division_(United_States)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_Marine_Division_(United_States)

I'd appreciate any assistance you could provide in this regard.

In a related question, what unit badge does the last unit in the second row represent in your post #305?

Certainly Tootall. Is there anything else you need to finish the scenario?

The badge you are asking about is the 5th Special Forces Group (the guy in the SF Tiger Stripes camo in the post)

Hi Fairline,

For personal reasons I've been on a long hiatus from scenario designing but have recently begun thinking about starting back on my Vietnam project. The good news is that prior to the hiatus I already done a lot of work to date including implementing TNO's new unit limit (hence my request for the unit badges).

Tanelorn was so very gracious to fulfill so many of my unit requests in the past but as per my post #238 there were still a few new or updated units I was looking for including the following:

• New VC Mortar and VC Sapper units.
  • New Korean Infantry and Marine units
and a new request,

Thanks Gapetit :)

@Tootall: Units underway. I'll add in some ARVN troops and MIKE forces just for completeness. Do you want a 173rd Airborne Bde badge as well, given they were one of the better US units apparently?

Hi Fairline,

I was planning on using the generic US flag to represent the various independent US brigades but since you offered please include the 173rd Brigade badge as well.

Thank you very much.

Top Bottom