Modern Unit Graphics

Quick mod of Fairline's Stryker into the Canadian LAV III. Also used by New Zealand as the NZLAV.
lav iii kodiak.png

Say, has anyone made any post-WW2 dedicated tank destroyers, like the Soviet ASU-57 or the ASU-85, or the Russian 2S25 Sprut-SD, or the U.S. M56 Scorpion, the (weird-looking) M50 Ontos, or the M551 Sheridan, or the West German Kanonenjagdpanzer, or the Raketenjagdpanzer 1-4, or the British F4V38 Swingfire or the FV102 Striker, or the Chinese PTZ89 or the PTL02. I think I may have seen a Centauro or a Pandur II somewhere around, and the others may be in certain big collections, but the whole vehicle type of post-WW2 dedicated tank destroyers just became notable as conspicuous for their absence. Thus, this is one of those, "would be a nice addition to the assets on this site if a graphics artist has a spare moment, but no pressure or demand," things.

Not sure quite why you would need these, but you clearly haven't looked very hard. I've drawn the Sheridan and Striker, and I think Tanelorn has maybe drawn a Centauro(?). Probably best to do a cursory search before asking for stuff that, lets face it, will never see the light of day in a scenario.

Not sure quite why you would need these, but you clearly haven't looked very hard. I've drawn the Sheridan and Striker, and I think Tanelorn has maybe drawn a Centauro(?).
As I said, I'd thought I'd seen a Centauro, I probably did genuinely overlook the Sheridan, to be honest. I'll admit that, and that was my error. I realize I also absent-minded thought the Striker you mention was an early rendition of the Stryker (vowel confusion), and that was clumsy of me, I admit, as well.

lets face it, will never see the light of day in a scenario.
.Hey, no need for that! I've been incredibly busy in RL of late, and really hope to find some time to get some of my desired projects churned out in the near future.

Last edited:
As I said, I'd thought I'd seen a Centauro, I probably did genuinely overlook the Sheridan, to be honest. I'll admit that, and that was my error. I realize I also absent-minded thought the Striker you mention was an early rendition of the Stryker (vowel confusion), and that was clumsy of me, I admit, as well.

.Hey, no need for that! I've been incredibly busy in RL of late, and really hope to find some time to get some of my desired projects churned out in the near future.
:lol: Be serious, Patine.

:lol: Be serious, Patine.
Yeah, laugh it up in your gallery, Waldorf and Stadler. Once I get a good grasp on LUA and ToTPP, and how to apply it to the projects I have in mind, from the many threads and growing number of pioneering scenarios, and get a break from hectic RL life (I'm a social worker in Edmonton for a living - you, of all people on the SL, should understand what that means - at least by empirical observation), I'll be the one laughing! :cool:

Yeah, laugh it up in your gallery, Waldorf and Stadler. Once I get a good grasp on LUA and ToTPP, and how to apply it to the projects I have in mind, from the many threads and growing number of pioneering scenarios, and get a break from hectic RL life (I'm a social worker in Edmonton for a living - you, of all people on the SL, should understand what that means - at least by empirical observation), I'll be the one laughing! :cool:
I look forward to it.

To be honest, I really do appreciate your contribution here, Pat. Lots of good ideas for scenarios and suggestions for unit art. Certainly there is some "my dog ate my homework" stuff from time to time, but I personally find it very entertaining. It's good to have you back from exile.
Thanks!

Some more recent Chinese APCs: the tracked ZBD-04A and wheeled ZBL-08 IFV/APC families. I had a stab at modern Chinese digital camo; not sure about the results.

View attachment 635775
I've been hoping some of these would turn up. Thanks, greatly!

View attachment 636276
I was inspired by @gapetit F4E in Cold War Flashpoint, so:
The F4F was a West German only variant. The F-4F had one of the seven fuselage fuel tanks omitted along with the capability to carry AIM7 Sparrow missiles and most bombs and had a higher thrust to weight ratio.
"Less fuel, more ammo," sounds like a tagline from one of those '80's action movies that starred one of the cast of, "the Expendables," in their younger days. :p

The camo in the previous post (Norm 71) is from the 70s/ early 80s. During part of the 80s and the 90s the F4F carried variations of the Norm 81 scheme, here. Moreover starting in 1991, Luftwaffe F4Fs started being retrofitted with F18 radar and avionics, gaining the ability to fire the AIM120 AMRAAM. The Improved Combat Efficiency (ICE) program was initiated in late 1983.
Tanelorn Luftwaffe F4F norm81 and ICE.png

@Patine It depends on the fuel. I run on coffee.
Tanelorn Luftwaffe F4F ICE norm90.png

Norm 90 air superiority camo from the 90s and 2000s.

Last edited:

Non US users of the F4 Phantom II:
Japan built 140 F4EJ and received 14 RF4EJ. Starting in 1989, 96 F4EJ were upgraded to F4EJ Kai (F16 Radar/avionics and weapons). In service 1972-2021, many different temporary camo patterns were also employed regularly.
South Korea received 27 RF4C, 92 F4D and 103 F4E. Got a limited ground attack upgrade around the turn of the century. In service 1968- .About 20 remain in service.
Spain received 40 F4C and 14 RF4C. In service 1971- 2002
Egypt received 45 F4E. In service 1977-2020
Iran received 32 F4D, 177 F4E and 16 RF4E. In service 1968- .About 63 remain in service.
West Germany received 88 RF-4E, 175 F-4F and 10 F-4E. The F-4E stayed in the US as trainers. Starting in 1989, 110 F4F were upraded to F4F ICE (F18 Radar/avionics and weapons) Deliveries started in 1992. In service 1971- 2013.
Greece received 82 F-4E and 37 RF-4E. A follow on order for further 40 more was cancelled in 1981, being negotiated through the 80s, to no avail. Starting in 1999, 38 were upraded to F4E AUP Peace Icarus II (F18 Radar/avionics and weapons). In service 1974 -. About 34 of the latter remain in service.
Turkey received 182 F-4E and 40 RF-4E. Starting in 2002, 54 were upraded to F4 2000 (Israeli Kurnass avionics and weapons). In service 1974 -. About 20 or less of the latter remain in service.

Edit- Adding this F4EJ I had made before and forgot about, JSDF 7 Kokudan 302 Hikotai markings.

Attachments

• Tanelorn F4 Phantom.png
    Tanelorn F4 Phantom.png
    70.7 KB · Views: 453
  • Tanelorn F4 Phantom 7 Kokudan 302 Hikotai.png
    Tanelorn F4 Phantom 7 Kokudan 302 Hikotai.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:

Iran started painting their Phantoms this air superiority scheme (same as their F14, F1 and Mig29s) after 2009.
The F-4J was an improved F-4B version for USN and USMX, with emphasis on air-to-air combat, which used more powerful engines and a pulse doppler radar with look-down shoot-down capability. 522 built (1966-1972), 302 of which were later (1977 to early 80s) upgraded to F4S with smokeless engines and reinforced airframe elements.
F-4J(UK) or officially F.3 were 15 F-4J purchased by the RAF in 1984 and upgraded to F-4S standard. Used until 1991 by No. 74 Squadron RAF only for UK air defense place of RAF Phantom FGR2s sent to the Falklands until 92.

a) Most typical US Marine Corps F4 camo. USMC retired the F4S in 1993.
b) Somewhat typical Europe1 US Air National Guard F4 camo (Alabama, District of Colombia, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky). Others used either SEA or Hill One usual USAF camo. USANG kept former USAF models (C,D,E) until 1992.
c) USN VF111 Sundowners F4B, 1964 on board the Kitty Hawk.

Attachments

• more Phantoms.png
    more Phantoms.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 412
  • even more Phantoms.png
    even more Phantoms.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:
Top Bottom