[modmod] RFC North America - development only

What size should RFC: North America's map be?

• Total voters

AtlantaMarty

No longer active
I would like to make this modmod after I finish up SoI: Expanded, which at the rate I'm working, could be 2020 :).

Nevertheless, I still think it would be helpful to start the planning phase now.

I think the timeline should be 1492-2000, with 1 turn per year until 1808, and 2 turns per year after that for a total of 700 turns.

I will make a map from scratch, although help would be welcome.
I am still trying to decide between 3 map sizes:
1: 204x120 (24,480 tiles)

2: 250x147 (36,750 tiles)

3: 315*185 (58,275 tiles)

3 is my favorite out of those, in fact, I wish it could be bigger, but apparently there is a hardcoded limit at 65,535 :mad:

Attachments

• RFC North America Map.jpg
    RFC North America Map.jpg
    500.6 KB · Views: 1,232
  • RFC North America Map 2.jpg
    RFC North America Map 2.jpg
    433.8 KB · Views: 1,105
  • RFC North America Map 3.jpg
    RFC North America Map 3.jpg
    470.9 KB · Views: 1,093
I recommend cutting of the edges of the map, no matter which size you are going to use. These tiles are redundant. No civ will ever settle there. No unit fighting will ever happen there. NOTHING will ever happen there. It will only make the map bigger for no reason. (Just look at the amount of water tiles it adds) As computing times increase exponentially with the tiles, it will save a huge amount of computing time.

I think you should definitely get rid of the red parts. The green part is optionally. If you don't plan to add some civ in there other than Spanish colonization I recommend getting rid of that as well.

Spoiler :

BTW, I think even the smallest size (even with my cuts) is accurate enough.

Attachments

• RFCNA.jpg
    RFCNA.jpg
    497.1 KB · Views: 1,054
I recommend cutting of the edges of the map, no matter which size you are going to use. These tiles are redundant. No civ will ever settle there. No unit fighting will ever happen there. NOTHING will ever happen there. It will only make the map bigger for no reason. (Just look at the amount of water tiles it adds) As computing times increase exponentially with the tiles, it will save a huge amount of computing time.

I think you should definitely get rid of the red parts. The green part is optionally. If you don't plan to add some civ in there other than Spanish colonization I recommend getting rid of that as well.

Spoiler :

BTW, I think even the smallest size (even with my cuts) is accurate enough.

I do think I want to cut off some of the edges, though not quite as much as you proposed. I'll probably cut about half as much as that in the west (I want to keep all of Alaska) and all of the east (No real need for Greenland). I might cut a few tiles in the North but I want to keep all though Islands.
As for the south, I want the Panama canal zone to stay on the map.

As far as size/scale is concerned, I like #3 because it allows most of the major American cities to be on the map without much overlap. I have just started work on map showing the BFCs of the major American cities.
So far I have:
Green=Boston
Red=New York
Yellow=Philadelphia
Blue=Washington DC
White=Raleigh
Pink=Charleston
Orange=Atlanta

What exactly are you planning to do for this? (i.e. civs)
I haven't officially started planning this, but just off the top of my head:
European:
Britain
Netherlands
France
Spain
Russia

Colonial:
America
Canada
Mexico
Confederacy
Republic of Texas
Central America

Amerindian: (still uncertain about all of these - please make suggestions)
Sioux
Comanche
Shoshone
Cherokee
Eskimo
Aztec
Carib

Attachments

• RFC North America Map 3 Cropped.jpg
    RFC North America Map 3 Cropped.jpg
    468.4 KB · Views: 317
  • Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 12.20.37 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-06-19 at 12.20.37 PM.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 337
You shouldn't use a Mercator projection base for a map that goes so far north. It gives size bias to all the wrong areas.

Yeah, an orthographic projection would let you cut off a lot of unnecessary ocean, in addition to being the projection that's normally used for North America anyway.

Civil war Civil war. Also Quebec Seperatist civilization.

I think the problem with this Mod is that it will get really boring by the 20th century.

I would definitely use a different map projection though.

EDIT: I see this already came up
Anyway, I absolutely agree with the others before me.
Both the shape and the size of the norhern areas are way too inaccurate.
You should probably search for maps concentrating on NAmerica only.

EDIT2: perhaps something like this?
Spoiler :

Last edited:
I would definitely use a different map projection though.

EDIT: I see this already came up
Anyway, I absolutely agree with the others before me.
Both the shape and the size of the norhern areas are way too inaccurate.
You should probably search for maps concentrating on NAmerica only.

EDIT2: perhaps something like this?
Spoiler :
I don't like the way that projection distorts and curves the West Coast and Alaska

Top Bottom