Mods not installing because Steam is not installed on C:? Here's how to do it!

anandus

Errorist
I couldn't install any mods because Steam wasn't installed on my C-drive. Apparently*.
(* Not sure if this is actually the reason, but I assume it is).

And while they'll probably fix this bug soon, there is a very simple workaround :)

First download a mod through the ingame modbrowser. The downloading will work, but it won't install, it'll just disappear (at least it did in my case).
Just go to the mod-folder in your Documents, something like C:\Users\%user%\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS, and there you'll find the mods you downloaded, having long names of numbers and letters and with the extension *.civ5mod.

These are actually just simple zipped files, so you can open them and/or unzip them with an unpacker of your choice (I use 7Zip).

Unpack them in the same folder, start up Civ 5 again and then you can activate the mod in the mod browser.

Easy as that. Just wanted to let you know :)

Thanks! I've had the same problem (and Steam isn't installed on C:, so this might actually be the case) and will try it out after work. :)

yep, it does work, now I can use the simple clock mod, a must have to save my social life :D

Can I use the simple clock with already started game or do I have to start a new one?

you can load a previous game with it, yes.

Make sure the name of the directory you create is the same as the text inbetween the <name> brackets in the .modinfo file. If it is even 1 character off the game won't see the mod.

For me it worked the best to just copy the name of the appropriate .modinfo-file into as the folder name for the mod.
So for "Queen of the Iceni" the folder name should (at the moment) be "Queen of the Iceni (v 2)", since the file is named "Queen of the Iceni (v 2).modinfo".

I have weird problem with this mod thingie. :confused:

I download, it installs and still not showing anything.

I tried your method but still no change.

P.S. my steam is installed on C:

Can anyone help with this issue?

Thank you in advance ;)

my guess people stopped caring to help... same issue since release i just flat gave up... mods download, mods installed, mods show up in a users/xxx/my documents/my games/etc./mods the game runs out of program files/steamappdata/common/civ 5 yadda yadda the mongolian mod works horrray for that trash but any mods i ACTUALLY want don't show up under anything in the game... they are on the comp they dont need to be unzipped they are installed.... they just dont show up

my guess people stopped caring to help... same issue since release i just flat gave up... mods download, mods installed, mods show up in a users/xxx/my documents/my games/etc./mods the game runs out of program files/steamappdata/common/civ 5 yadda yadda the mongolian mod works horrray for that trash but any mods i ACTUALLY want don't show up under anything in the game... they are on the comp they dont need to be unzipped they are installed.... they just dont show up

The issue in the OP have been fixed by one of the first patches. You've another problem here.

What do you mean by "they dont need to be unzipped". You've done it directly using 7zip ? Or you've used the in-game mod browser installation procedure as described here ?

yes they've been installed and i've tried the alternative route of using winrar and winrar doesn't recognize them

i feel stupid now for not reading the part that says, "The .civ5mod file is actually a normal zip file. Just rename it into .zip, open it, and extract it into a folder named the same as the .modinfo file you'll find inside of it."

The sub-directory the mod is unzipped to must have EXACTLY the same name as the .modinfo file, so if it's "LiveTuner - Tech and Policy Panels (v 8).modinfo" in the zip/civ5mod file, you MUST unzip to the "LiveTuner - Tech and Policy Panels (v 8)" sub-directory.

The sub-directory the mod is unzipped to must have EXACTLY the same name as the .modinfo file, so if it's "LiveTuner - Tech and Policy Panels (v 8).modinfo" in the zip/civ5mod file, you MUST unzip to the "LiveTuner - Tech and Policy Panels (v 8)" sub-directory.

the mod was downloaded and had a series of numbers i installed it and it looked correctly but then i deleted it and downloaded and unzipped it it showed up the same way the issue i am having is these "maps" are not showing up i downloaded a scenario type deal i looked under scenarios i looked everywhere int he game... no where to be found, i copy pasted the map from the scenario directly into my maps folder and it lets me load the map... not the scenario now though >.> some other little modes work but none of these scenarios

Now if you'd said earlier it was loading a scenario you were having problems with ...

see http://www.flickr.com/photos/whoward69/sets/72157626584705607/ (and all the images in there) paying particular attention to steps 5 and 6 as those two are not obvious!

i wished that worked, but the scenario maps don't show up on the list of maps to choose from i had moved a copy of the map to the maps folder and then it lets me load the maps but not the mod info

Which mod? It may be that the mod is old and broken (there have been various patches since the game was first released that have changed the ways mods have to work)

lol i do appreciate the attempts to help though,

i have downloaded lotr middle earth scenario, plus 2 more mods for 3 extra civs... i do get the extra civs as an option to choose from on regular stuff but the scenario, and map are not a choice does the map and scenario info file need to be in a different location perhaps?

Top Bottom