MOO ~= Civ Customization Workaround

JohnSearle

Chieftain
For those who've played Masters of Orion (MOO), or any other kind of similar TBS game, you probably remember the species character creation screen...

I brought up in an earlier post that it would be nice to see this implemented in Civilization IV, but a poster reminded me of the difficulty of changing the whole interface to suit this new system. But now I have another suggestion to work around this difficulty whilst allowing for this level of customization.

If you created an external prog that adopts the MOO style civ customization which inserts the new civ into CivIV's assets you SHOULD be able to have a whole new character creation system. Any thoughts?

---

For those who are unfamiliar with the MOO style system - read on:

MOO used a point based race creation. You begin with 20 points to play with and from that you choose your advantages and disadvantages which add or subtract points. For example, if you chose enhanced mining trait it would subtract 4 points from your total... if you chose a poor mining trait it would add points to your total. Thus the liberty afforded gives a higher level of strategy through customization and specialization while maintaining a fairness.

--

- John Searle

AlCosta15 said:
WRONG FORUM! This should be in main C&C forum.

Is it? This deals directly with the creation of new civilizations, which is the name and nature of this forum... no? It would seem to me to be the right forum.

yes, but this is for completed files, while the main forum is for all questions and discussions.

Wrong forum, but yes - it would be possible.

Being an ageold fan of the leader trait systems of the classic MoM and MoO series I think this is a great idea, but it would require a good deal of work.

CyberChrist said:
Wrong forum, but yes - it would be possible.

Being an ageold fan of the leader trait systems of the classic MoM and MoO series I think this is a great idea, but it would require a good deal of work.

I figure not as much work as one might suspect at first glance... The creation of a external prog that works on the point system wouldn't be difficult to implement. The only real difficulty is in insertion of the generated information into the appropriate places. I did glance at the code that would needed to be inserted and it looks as though it shouldn't be that difficult at all for someone to do that. Perhaps someone could explain to me why this wouldn't work?

OH - and given that this thread is a discussion and I am wrong, could someone please move it to the appropriate place?

-- John

Top Bottom