More Food

Can't help but disagree with pretty much every concern about the food scarcity in this thread. The food is the most abundant resource in Civ VI, you just have to put some effort for it. With the farm adjacency bonuses from Feudalism and Replaceable parts, and with Civil Engineering enabling putting farms on hills, food will never be a problem. Sure, in the early game these bonuses don't apply, but in the early game, housing will in any case be the most limiting resource in terms of population growth.

Players mostly think that making farm triangles is the best and sufficient way to produce lots of food. Well, it certainly is better than separate farms, but why make triangles when you can make whole areas of farms with even as many as 6 adjacency bonuses from many farm tiles to get a crazy +7 food from multiple farms?

What kind of effort is required to produce ludicrous amounts of food? Long term overall district and improvement planning. I uploaded two screencaps from my Rome game where the farmland planning turned out to work quite nicely. To accomplish this, you need to consider your land area and find the largest possible area with no strategic or luxury recources. Then, you must at all costs avoid building any districts or wonders in this area, because these cannot be removed once placed or built, respectively. Bonus recourses should be harvested from this area, because one farm can give after replaceable parts as much as +13 food (+7 from the tile it self and +6 food added to all adjacent farms) which is stupid to even compare to, e.g., +1 production and +1 gold of a quarry (or +2+1 as late as after Rocketry). This area should comprise land of multiple cities to make it even larger, and so that many cities will benefit from this food boom. All other land that remains will be suitable for mines, districts, and wonders.

Spoiler :

romefarms1.jpg

Spoiler :

romefarms2.jpg

It may not always be possible to get the most insane farmlands. However, it is almost always possible to find at least 6-tile triangles or 7-tile circles, as depicted in the second figure I uploaded. Consider for example the 6-tile triangle near Cumae in the second Figure. Here, the total bonus from the adjacencies of the farms is 2+4+2+4+4+2=18, while with separate 3-farm triangles the adjacency bonuses would be 2+2+2+2+2+2=12. Thus, this little extra effort in farmland planning pays to feed 3 more citizens, which is nothing to laugh at.

Of course, you sometimes have to compromise the possible +3 productions from mines or some additional yields from bonus resources to make vast farmlands. However, the problem is not that the food would not be possible to acquire, just that you have to consider the tradeoffs in producing it.

Last edited:
Yes choices are good and do agree of with you points later game.
The trouble is it's the first 150 turns that count really

I do see your point of the early game before Feudalism having not that abundant food. However, Housing will almost always be the limiting resource for population growth in the early game, as I mentioned.

Top Bottom