Most Embarassing Moment

I had been at war with the English for at least a millenium pretty much solid. I allowed them peace (temporary, of course) so that I could rebuild, and failed to notice the stack of 6 cavalry (no oil in the game, so the strongest offensive units) moved into my territory, within striking distance of three barely-protected cities.

I feel I was lucky to only lose one city - but it was a city of about 20 pop with considerably high culture, and the evil b******* razed it!

In my recent game, at the beginning of the Middle Ages I had a big army, only one luxury connected and switched from Despotism to Republic. The result was that I had to raise luxury and tax slider so much that I had almost no research. I had decided to reload, switch to Monarchy instead and use my Horsemen and Gallic Swordsmen to conquer Babylon...

Best regards,

Slawomir Stachniewicz.

dunno know about embarrassing but:
I captured a Carthaginian City with some legionaries and MDI's. The, I had trouble fortifying it, so it was overthrown. Then England comes in and takes the city with a longbow, and no resistance. That just pissed me off [pissed]

I meant to declare war on the Zulus (weakest nation) but accidentally declared war on the Aztecs (strongest nation). Or was that the other way round? I always get them confused...

That was over 24 hours ago - I've been too scared to open the game since!

An fortified enemy regular archer on hills got surprised by 16 or so barbarian horseman. He killed them off in defence, promoting to elite with one hit point left. I moved an ancient cavalry, also elite, to get him in next turn, tasting posibilities of consequent MGL. Well, I really reached him, he had two hit points already, just to see how this hero killed my AC with no even losing one of these two puny hitpoints. If it was my archer, he had to become honour guard in capital.

OK. This just got me angry. About um... 3.75 hours straight into the game. I go to the save button. I have a Mac. Then, when the finger is barely touching the S key when the blasted computer (severely outdated) freezes up. Aaaarrrgh! I have to force quit. I end up wasting 225 minutes of my life.

Oh, by the way, the GD computer refuses to run Civilization 3 anymore. Damn you crappy processor, you win this time. PPC 604. Needs a G3 processor.

sorry. About that. My sister makes a game and overwrites the auto-save files. Stupid me. Just leaving the computer alone.

I was desperate for troops for a war I was fighting on a foreign continent, and i only needed about 8 more infantry divisions to take their capitol and force them into peace and having them pay me for it. But I had no way of acheiving this because all my cities were in chaos and corrupted. SO i had to make peace and give up a ton of gold. Later I look back and I see a full transport of Infantry I had fortified b4 i surrendered. Had I known that was there, I might have won the war.
I Then proceeded to walk outside and bang my head against a sewer cap approzimately 17 times. It mithg have been 19. I forget.

In the current Thanksgiving bonus game as Austria I was at war with the Dutch, who land an SOD consisting of one longbowman next to a coastal city defended by a lone warrior. No problem as I have 2 archers and 3 horsies fortified within range of it. Anyway after a lot of trading I hit 'enter', totally forgetting about the longbowman.

Going to anarchy with no gold to speak of in the treasury and a huge outgoing gpt payment in one of my first emperor games way back when. -100gpt, coming right up. Whoops.

Second place: giving an ROP to the Zulus after rails. Lost about six cities to a cheesy ten-cav sneak attack.

Renata

Tonight on eldar1 is probably it. At war with Babylon (weak, no damage) and the Americans (strong) sign in against them (also breaking an ROP) and then they get Korea to sign an alliance against me (somewhat strong but really far away.) Only Sumeria is left, a boxed in AI. Normally this wouldn't be that bad, but this is a NO RESEARCH GAME!

But I remember a game way back where I got a GA in anarchy, and also one other time where I built tons and tons of workers (I think I had about 90, and this is on aa small map) during the GA then lose cash when the GA finishes.

I was the Americans and I was killing the weak and pathetic Germans. I had cut off their sources of horses and iron a long time ago...and I had temporarily left Berlin, the former German capital of course, undefended (temporarily meaning like one turn) thinking that it was safe...suddenly, this knight comes charging out of one of their two remaining cities and takes the city back (definitely a learning experience for me). They then rushed a spearman to defend it and the knight went on to beat a fortified pikeman on a hill in Nuremberg, another city I captured from Germany, and they recaptured that. I did end up capturing both of them back, but I decided to sign peace after they gave me their coastal city, leaving them with one city trapped in the hills...it never grew past two...it couldn't even grow past two. I eventually killed them off for the hell of it, but that was definitely a learning experience for me...never leave a recently captured city undefended (any city for that matter).

In the same game a little later, I had a right of passage with the Babylonians for reasons I don't remember. The RoP expired and they declared war, moved a bowman through my territory that I somehow didn't notice...until suddenly I see that one of my cities has been razed. :rolleyes: I guess I never learn. Although I did replace it later! And I killed the bowman too! And I kicked the living crap out of the Babylonians!

Was on the steps of Moscow with my entire army (a dozen cav, trio of pikemen + half a dozen cannon). Manned the charge with the cav after redlining 4 defenders. Proceeded to lose all but one cav, who retreated. Next turn my pikemen were run over, arty stolen, and I was out an entire army.

My most embarassing moment..

hmm..there's so many to choose from..

Maybe when I was a sophomore in HS and told Jody McRae I loved her and she gave me the "I love you too, but not in that way" speech.

That was pretty embarassing..

OH!

You mean in Civ? How can you be embarassed in civ?

Mine is in a GOTM game. I was doing my usual of building a Granary first. An AI warrior appeared and I made contact. The warrior walked right in and took my undefended capital while it was still building a granary. Conquest loss in 3650BC :(.

Needless to say I always build a Warrior first now!

Atleast it wasn't like 1 Sid level game where Germany was 5 turns away with a stack of warriors... Germany decided to attack before I could build my first warrior. (BTW, your experience is just the reason why building warriors (or barracks->warriors) first is what you need to do in MP games. :)

hmmm... The English, who are on the other side of the pond, and I have only seen about maybe two boats from them, seem to have done many things. I come over and realize that they own a vast continent. I have no way of defeating any of their cities, all so well defended for an attack on such short notice. So I go to move my boat back to Mylesanian territory when, the next turn, they win! Domination loss in about (sigh) 1550 AD or something like that. :mad:

Top Bottom