Most Significant Unit NOT in the Game

AEGIS and cruise missles. 2 units I used alot of in civ3

Totally agree with Atlantean on Partisans. They were great in CivII, I missed them in CivIII, and I am somewhat dissapointed that they did not return in CivIV. They could have the Guerilla and Woodsman promotions (unsure about I or II), and possibly Commando as well (argh, annoying).

Totally agree with Atlantean on Partisans. They were great in CivII, I missed them in CivIII, and I am somewhat dissapointed that they did not return in CivIV. They could have the Guerilla and Woodsman promotions (unsure about I or II), and possibly Commando as well (argh, annoying).

Sorry about the double-posting, I'm not used forums like this. Does anybody know how to delete a post?

sinaarrgghh said:
Am sort of looking to make a terrorist my first mod. Intending to let it allow you blow selected buildings up. Max of 3 per civ or something and with a HUGE diplomatic penalty if they get caught. Was thinking of having their success dependant on various civics. Only toying with the idea really upto now.

Would the terrorist unit be associated with a certain Civ? Or would it be a random, spy-like barbarian unit for modern times?

Or, maybe the terrorist unit would only be available to the bottom 2 or 3 Civs. Not trying to over-think this, but isn't that what the terrorist is in real life? An attempt to intimidate or coerce societies by much smaller factions or organizations. They don't have the resources to accomplish their goals with standard military force so they have to use terrorism.

Anyway, I like the socio-economic angle that if a civ has very little economic possibility to catch up they can randomly spawn terrorists to slow down or coerce the lead civs.

madmaven said:
Nuclear Submarine. Wasn't this in previous civ games? I know it would have a limited role, but wasn't this *the* weapon of the Cold War and the past 50 years? It was so powerful it never got used (like the ICBM).

I wonder if there could be a terrorist unit. Sort of like a spy and mini bomb, and increasing unhappiness in cities where used.

how about the cruise missle. a missle you could shoot that wasnt nuclear. i always built those.

A unit i would like to see is a special opps commando. A unit that could be sent across borders, be invisible to all expect if a unit entered it's tile. At that point you would actually get an ambush "attack" with huge bonus when it is not your turn to play. But once it is visible, all bet's are off and no more ambush bonus, acts like a regular advanced unit. Maybe even have the ability to be air lifted out of a fight (70% chance). Just an idea :crazyeye:

I also miss the guerilla that pops up when you take a city.

madmaven said:
Another thing I thought of is.. where's the television technology? I guess it would do the same as the radio. I'm not sure what the radio does but the TV could increase commerce by +1 gold for each population in a city and +1 happiness overall.

Something like that.

I think "Mass Media" replaced Television.

Jet Bombers... both Civ 3 AND Civ 4... I love having jet fighters in the sky with those old B-17's...:D Also the old "rebel" unit from Civ 2. I think I had a mod version, Red shirt with a (turbin?)... Was alot of bang for the buck.

The whole combat situation is a paradox anyways... They made it very complex in what units you have to use, and then took out half the units and tactics... It's like getting no fat cookies with twice the sugar... I'd love to have to deal with serious air power with anti-aircraft guns and sam emplacements like Civ 3.

I also agree with the steamships (WWI) era being MIA. In fact, the whole era is MIA, really. It's wierd going from Galleons to Destroyers in one turn.

I miss alot of the spy missions from Civ 3. The spy now is basically a reporter for the daily planet.:smoke: I'd love to see Him/Her modded to allow for taking out a unit, or a governor of an enemy city causing it to revolt and change sides. ( Of course, you'd need the prerequisite guerillas to wage the coup with... ) Would be cool to have a group of Spy/Special Ops/CIA types infltrating my neighbor and blowing up his towns and railroads and nuclear plants.

Only problem if you mod it in... How do you defend against it ??? mmmmm I smell new wonders !!!

They probably took out the Nuclear Sub because they took out tactical nukes, and that was the sole reason for having them.

more bombs for different uses, and advanced spies able to do a huge variety of missions.

I miss the cruise missile - I suppose its not as big a deal as it used to be in III. You had to have those things to go through a stack of Mechanized Infantry.
I think I'd like to see cruise missile again, as well as the nuclear sub, mobile SAM, AEGIS cruiser, partisans (take my city, will you! hah!) and I'd like to see workers have the ability to build airfields. Half the battles fought in the Pacific were about extending land-based air power. Why Guadalcanal? The Japanese were building an airstrip there.
Fanatics were pretty useless units, but they were cheap, so I'd like to see a unit like that, but only buildable if the civilization still has a State Religion.
Paratroopers were sometimes usefull - they were more useful in II than in III, they were extremely important in modern warfare - they were used extensivly throughout WWII, from Crete to Normandy. That could be a Promotion, however, instead of an actual unit. Maybe after Combat II, open to gunpowder and siege.
I'd also like to see something as standard that shows up in the Desert War scenario: Light Armor. All the powers of WWII fielded these smaller tanks - some even had minitanks; the Italians, for instance. The Germans had the Pz I and IIs, the Americans and British had the Steward, and most of the Japanese tanks were light - that is to say that though, tonnage-wise, they were medium tanks, their guns were not up to facing any Allied medium or heavy tanks.

Uh, for all of you missing most of the naval units from the last game Exavier's mod (conviently located in my sig) has pretty much all of them including nuclear subs and AEGIS crusiers and also modded the rest to make them funner. Also, it includes a bunch of new units (my favorite is the MarkVII tanks and tac.nukes) and new promotions that also add to the fun. It also has no slow downs because he reduced the size of the units by thirty percent and made a new epic that really is epic (You finally get to enjoy every unit of the game)!

I think an artillery unit shoul be put in for after the unit just called artillery as they are useless in the later game with bomers. Maybe SCUD or something.

I always liked Civ II's Alpine troops, although with the new rules for mountain tiles I can see why they have been left out

Also Civ II had crusaders once you teched monotheism, now that religion actually plays a part it seems funny that crusaders are no longer available

I always forget about the Alpine Troops!! They would be great in Civ 4....they could be the only unit able to cross mountain ranges!

Cruise Missles, AEGIS cruisers, tactical nukes, nuclear subs, proper carriers, paratroopers, I want them all!

Tomyris said:
Cruise Missles, AEGIS cruisers, tactical nukes, nuclear subs, proper carriers, paratroopers, I want them all!

Exaviar's mod has all of these I think.

The paratrooper was a great unit, I thought.

madmaven said:
Exaviar's mod has all of these I think.

The paratrooper was a great unit, I thought.

Cruise Missles arn't in because the only system for a suicidal unit i have seen is the Nuke and it can't be modified to be no nuclear (at least that i can tell).

I haven't made any changes to carriers so i am curious what is considered a Proper carrier.

Paratroopers arn't it because I don't know a way to put them in lol... Though I did make a Cargo plane that can carry 5 units to any city (requires open borders for shipping to allies)

Top Bottom