Moving from Monarch to Emperor

guess its each to own on the oracle / col strategy. but always works well for me on higher dif settings.

or guess your could just go capture the holy city! thats always a nice one :D

I think the biggest thing you'll notice is that the enemy has MUCH bigger SoDs and much better defended cities. This is even more pronounced when you move up to Immortal or Diety from Emp. Aggressive personalities like Shaka will attack you with stacks of over 100 units, which is pretty tough to fight off even if you have a slight tech lead.

yeah i hate that about higher dif settings. surely having that many troops is silly as the costs are high when not using them. othen the enemy sits 15+ troops per city on higher dif setting without declaring war!

Actually, the WORST thing about moving up to the higher difficulties (Diety, Immortal) is that the AI unit spam slows the game down to a freaking crawl in the 1800s. I actually just posted a poll because I'm wondering if people on a better machine playing Diety/Immortal are unable to finish games because of the 6 minute wait between turns that I'm experiencing :).

On religions:

At Monarch level, I've won many a game founding early religions. The early religions are easy to found if you start with Mysticism, otherwise it was easy to get to Code of Laws first, and often Theology, Philosophy, and Divine Right.

At Emperor level, no luck getting to any religion technologies first, except for my current game where I built the Oracle (had Marble) and then selected Code of Laws as my tech gift.

I think I agree with the suggestion above that you should beeline for Alphabet (after researching needed Worker techs) and then trading that off with other Civs.

On large stacks:

On Emporer level, I thought my city with 4 Skirmishers (unique unit better than an Archer) was pretty safe, but AI player moves in huge stack of catapults and swordsmen, they all die. How do you fight that power early in the game? My cities just aren't productive enough to build so many units.

Need for Archery:

On Monarch and below, Warriors seemed to work OK for protecting against Barbarians. But at Emperor level, Archer Barbarians start appearing right away, forcing me to research Archery early in the game.

Perhaps the Great Wall is the most important early wonder? You get protection from Barbarians and an early Great Spy which you can use to steal techs.

I read it, and I find this strategy to be too hazardous. If you're not IND and have no marble, the Oracle is too expensive; and this path means skipping a lot of basic techs that you need to get your first cities going (pottery, wheel, AH, Fishing...).

A religion is always nice to have, but on Monarch+, unless you have some head start (spiritual...), they are best left to the AI.

There is one exception: if I happen to have gold in my FC, I can still be first to CoL even without skipping BW and the other basic techs, because a gold mine simply doubles my research speed. Can work with gems and silver too.

I play Monarch and I'm trying to move up to Emporer. I didn't read the strategy but sometimes Oracle is possible. I got it in my current game and both my nieghbors had priesthood for some time. But I've found that if you want a religion you can almost always get one by bulbing Theology with a Great Priest or Philosophy with a Great Scientist. But yeah I do agree that trying to get an early religion is very difficult unless you start with mysticism and a high commerce tile to work like an oasis. Not only is it difficult but I'd advise against it since you need those early worker techs to start developing your land ASAP.

It depends on the skill of players, but I think the jump from Prince to Monarch is the hardest in the game. It takes a while before players really get used to playing catchup from the very beginning. The archers and worker AI gets are really hard to deal with at first. Players at this level have to learn how to REX well. It's more difficult on Emperor, but Monarch is the first time where players really learn that REXing properly is extremely important.

It depends on the skill of players, but I think the jump from Prince to Monarch is the hardest in the game. It takes a while before players really get used to playing catchup from the very beginning. The archers and worker AI gets are really hard to deal with at first. Players at this level have to learn how to REX well. It's more difficult on Emperor, but Monarch is the first time where players really learn that REXing properly is extremely important.

The Prince ----> Monarch jump used to be the hardest because the AI got a free worker starting on Monarch, but now that the AI doesn't even get a worker on Emperor, I think the biggest jump is Emperor ---> Immortal (where the AI finally gets a free worker).

Emperor - Marathon - Continents - (normal size normal settings)

The following should get you safely to the late Middle Ages, assuming you can get your hands on Copper.

Stage One
Found = Capital city
Tech = Bronze working, (adopt Slavery), then bee line Masonry
Found = City 2 (chop and whip the settler from your Capital)
Wonder = Great Wall (build and chop it)
Tech = research a health tech and a happiness tech if there is a luxury nearby, so as to allow cites to grow to size 5+ and don't forget to research / build villages as fast as you can.
Found City = 3 (beware economic meltdown as 3 cities is really pushing it)
Great Person = Great Spy guaranteed to pop out, (settle him in your capital).
Religion = adopt the most popular one

N/B: You may be at war during above stage, should a nearby rival have rushed you, (usually Monty or Shaka), so switch research to Hunting to get spermam if that happens, or is in danger if happening. You now have Axeman + Spearman and can build/chop/whip walls, which should make your 3 cities reasonably safe.

Stage Two
Tech = Bee line to get spys
Unit = build/whip/chop a Spy and send to highest tech civ, but leave him to zzzzzz in the rivals city for circa 5 turns, (it massively reduces the cost of stealing technology)
Tech = Bee Line to get Great Library
Great Person = Great Spy again, (send him to settle in the rival civ with the highest tech).
Wonder = Great Library (build/chop)

N/B: You may lose your one spy, so build/whip 2 more as soon as you can and send them off to zzzzz as well. You must have them wait in the rivals city, as you will steal twice as much technology just for waiting a few turns. If you are at war, then steal a quick technology and buy off the warmonger so that you can be at peace.

The rest is up to you, but assuming you trade Alphabet / Writing when you research them for the early techs you missed, then your 1 - 3 spys will now be able to steal circa 6+ technologies for you, and your capital will pop out another Great Spy whilst that is happening, who can also be sent off to settle in the enemy civ. This third Great Spy will give you the same amount of spy points as the first, (think it's 9,000), but the more advanced the tech, the higher the cost, so your third Great Spy is probably only worth circa 3+ techs.

The Great Library itself will add 2 scientists to your Capital, so your Capital is now more likely to produce Great Scientists once it's built, rather than Great Spys. Needless to say you could tweak your capital by building a Courthouse and then temporarily adding another Great Spy, or you could settle two Great Spy in your capital rather than just one, so as to increase the chances of it producing yet more of them, but stealing technolgy runs out of steam by the late middle ages on Emperor level, as the costs just become to great.

So, with the Great Library safely under your belt, you can now temporarily zero all science research and assuming you will be stealing or trading to get Monarchy and Currency, then you can now expand like a madman, yet still stay close to the tech leader. With the Great Library built, your target should be to whip settlers / military to create or conquer circa 6 more cities ASAP. If you have to conquer a few cities from a lower tech rival who has settled them close to you, then you now have the tech lead to do it. N/B: The capital city of all rival civs is situated in as good a spot as your capital, so always try and capture the enemy capital before they vassal to some other civ, (happens all the time on Emperor - really annoying).

Needless to say, try to build / conquer in a circle, with your capital at the centre, or so that your capital is as far away from the front line as possible, because you can't afford to lose the improvements you have built around your capital. Be aware that all coastal cities are very vulnerable to naval invasion on Emperor level, and should have as strong a garison as you can afford.

Once you have established your core cites, then consolidate your position, and push that science slider back up. The tech leader will now be researching faster than you can steal, so use the usual technique of following just one technology tree and trading tech with everyone you can.

You will now be leaving the middle ages, you will have a reasonable sized civ, and although not number 1 in tech, you will be in a strong tech position.

-------------

Late game on Emperor

If you are aiming for a Space Victory, then be aware there is a strong chance on Emperor level that the top civs will achieve a Cultural victory, just as you are building your spaceship, so you MUST keep an eye on the cultural state of their top 3 cities. If you are faced with this problem late game, then your only solution is a lightening raid targeted at the 3 problem cities. You may have to raid between 1 - 3 civs to stop them from each gaining a Cultural victory, so plan surgical attacks on the culture cities, rather than an all out war of conquest against each of the civs.

Regards - Mr P

Top Bottom