Moving to Emperor

Well, I played a few more turns, if you take that save hit space, you will see that India is shipping their "Christmas Cards." Although in this case Christmas Cards are more like 2 infantry and 2 guerrillas. Also, I noticed something strange, in Sumeria's and India's landings, I have had no problem killing their infantries with vCavs after I have redlined them. I have yet to beat one with an eCav, I haven't even seen an elite cav retreat. I think I have lost 4 elite cavs this way. I haven't lost a single vCav on an infantry. Is this just incredibly bad RNG luck, or does anybody else notice this. I see it happen all the time.

Attachments

• Iroquois Emperor, 1425 AD.SAV
    290.7 KB · Views: 63
I do not like to attack even red infantry with cavs. Disregarding elite or not they can and do lose and that is not productive. In a pinch I do it, but prefer to use armies or bombers. I do not build many bombers, but a few in the right place are the ticket.

I forgot to mention how many armies I have. I still have the old Mounted Warrior army, which would be useless probably, but I also have 2 cav armies and an infantry army. I built the pentagon, and I have transports now. I haven't expanded any armies to 4 units yet.

Did you research Nationalism? I would not do that, unless I was in danger and had to have rifles. I doubt that was the case. It is an optional tech that you do not need and slows you down from getting RP. Steam and then straight to RP for me.

You may want to consider planting a few towns in the tundra for unit support. Place them CxC and put the citizen on science. I would also save a buck and disband the MW army. Find a place that could use a market or aqua and disband for shields.

I am not big on heavy use of artillery, they cost too much and cannot keep up with armies. I would shut off all builds of them, switch the ones that have alot of shields.

4-6 at home is plenty to deal with landings and to drive off ships. 10 12 is you must. Later bring 6-10 over for town support and end up with no more than 20-24. Disband the rest to build structure or cav/infantry.

I would invade now, no need to wait for transports. Load up the 3 good armies, then as many infantry as you can and the rest cavs. A settler of course. Land on the grapes by Bangalore and fill the armies to 4 as soon as you get in control, after the landing. See if they will attack the town or not.

I like to park a cav army on one tile to allow me to not get trap so I can attack any damaged units. I actually prefer Isin, but it does not offer any immediate lux. I like it better as I can sit on hill next to my new town. Maybe use 2 cav armies to block two hills.

Planting on the hill by the fish, cuts the direction they can come and lets me take the coal sooner. This presumes I am confident the infantry are plenty. It depends on their units, if they have early MA units they may not be willing to attack a town with infantry army.

Going now I would not research Mass Prod, I would take Flight to get airfields. If things go well, you will not need tanks.

I never researched Nationalism, I got it in a trade, I went straight for RP, then scientific method, then Beelined to where I am now.

Thank you for you're above post, but, being me, I just couldn't stay away from this game long enough to let you post, and played a bit more today before you posted. A save is attached. Anyway, I like artillery, and with radar artillery and their extra movement post, I can blitz the enemy without combat settlers, since I can move them into enemy territory then still bomb on the same turn. Anyway, I make my landing a little to the north of where you said, 2 tiles west of Umma.

Attachments

• Iroquois Emperor, 1450 AD.SAV
    290.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Iroquois Emperor, 1455 AD.SAV
    291.9 KB · Views: 52
I am packing in for the night will check the save tomorrow. If you got Nat for a trade, you had to give up more than I would want them to have. If I trade for it, that is likely to be as I am finishing the IA or even into MA should the game last.

They just do not want to part with it for early IA techs. RA, that still in the game. Can't recall last time I had some. Just way to late and is almost as annoy as it is useful. Most the time the extra move is just a pain as I have to fort them and then unfort them or kill the movement.

I would put that 4 unit in the 2 cav armies and put one the hill and one on the mountain right off. This prevents them from putting infantry on those spot. The armies may get in a ZoC from time to time on the incoming.

If the infantry cannot hold the town, the 2 cav armies would not do that much either. I have no idea why you want to build 60-70 turn artie, they are never going to finish. You don't need them.

I see no infantry builds. That is what you need right now. Who is going to sit on newly captured or created towns? Why build cruisers or any boats now? Again Flight would have meant no real use for boats.

Get down a few airfields at home to fly over infantry and later tanks. Rush an airport in Normandy to recieve them. That is what I would say. Use the destroyers to cover the transports as the frigates are too slow.

Since you have arties, bring them on the second wave. Park the frigates or disband them, had you gotten flight the bombers could deal with any boats and soften up towns without waiting for arties.

The fun park is to see what they do about the beach town. If they do not come out then it is more work for you. Sometimes I will remove the armies to draw them out, if they are not willing to attack.

I think see what you're strategy is now, you still pound cities to oblivion, you just do it with bombers instead of artillery, correct? For a while I was under the impression that you didn't soften up cities in any way, and just attacked. Also, I thought I had almost all my core towns that were not building improvements building infantry? I must have messed up, or else they are building artillery. I kept a couple 80 turn artillery builds to be able to rush quickly if I needed to, I guess I went a bit overboard and made to many.

Bombers have lethal bombardment (though they can get injured), artillery don't. Jon Shafer posted a screenshot that Sulla reproduced for us on this.

Well I don't normally pound towns as a whole. I just use armies to take them down late game. I like a few bombers to hit boats, though I sometimes have none. You are short on armies right now, so you would need to use something to aid the armies, till you get more.

You have arties, so I would use them. I am just saying I would not have 40-50 so it would not be an option. 8 bombers would do just fine as most towns will not have more than 3 units. You do not have to bomb the units to death, though that is fine.

The thing is you pay a stiff price to have all those bombardment units till this point and I doubt they were worth it. Yes, they did help you, but you could have done the job with a heck of a lot less.

I hear of players using very large stacks of bombardment units to slowly rollover towns and that is one option. I have had a few games where I collected scores of artie from the AI and used them, but it was a real pain.

I look at them as a small adjunct to the war machine, not the war machine. It is common to find the AI has a poor road system and moving arty is even harder. For sure you are in fine shape, I am just pointing out some other possibilities. There tends to be many in C3C.

AFAIK you don't pay any upkeep on captured artillery. So, unless you simply roll over the AIs much quicker than arties can keep up, I'd use them.

Now finally looking at your latest save, I feel surprised you don't have a build on ToE. Anyways, you have several viable options. Three of them are:

1. Transport those arties over, Redline infantry defenders via the arties, and capture towards Domination.

2. Keep on researching and use more advanced units, such as bombers and tanks.

3. Shut research off entirely. Click on Niagara Falls, "short-rush" a worker towards a coal plant. That is, buy the worker, and before the turn finishes change it to a coal plant and buy the rest of it. Actually in this case, for this turn, it's less expensive to let Niagara Falls instead of Allegheny use the hill so that it has 40 spt. Buy the worker. Pay the rest towards a colosseum. Finally change it to a coal plant and as long as pollution doesn't rear its ugly head you should get the coal plant in 1 turn for less money. Then with that in place, and research shut off, buy armies every other turn or so and fill them with cavalry. Or you could research to MT and do much the same with tanks, or you could even go to Synthetic Fibers and buy modern armor armies.

Thanks for the advice. Attached is a save from my current position.

Attachments

• Iroquois Emperor, 1500 AD.SAV
    291.6 KB · Views: 51
Akshak seems kind of in a weird spot. One idea... Put a settler at the 2 spot from Akshak, put some workers in Akshak, disband Akshak, then found a city where the settler lies. You can then bombard Bangalore with your arties without having to move them into enemy territory.

I have flips off, a decision I regret, but I will go ahead and use it to my advantage to get to the limit quicker.

I can easily win this without any more help, I am just wondering if you all think it would be better to keep going after India, or making peace and going after Sumeria. Also, Sumeria must have sent an infantry into Korea, because they have a monopoly on silks and all their sources have been pillaged. I supply them with iron and rubber to make them stronger. I think it might be time to invade them and set up the silks for myself. On the other hand, that could take away from my efforts to attack Sumer. I could just sue for peace with Sumer and go after Ghandi to get to the limit, but he does not have enough land left, and the terrain is starting to get nasty in his direction. Lots of hills and forests. Sumer has nice grasslands, with the exception of a 5 tile swamp in the heart of his empire.

EDIT: Spoonwood, I tried that 40 SPT gambit with Niagara, I could only get to 39 due to corruption, but it might have worked on the other save. I shrunk a couple core towns to get more shields.

Attachments

• Iroquois Emperor, 1530 AD.SAV
    287.9 KB · Views: 41
I'd sue for peace with Sumeria, finish off India, then attack Sumeria after that. It's usually easiest to stick to one tribe at a time when you can.

Did you give Niagara Falls that other hill which Allegheny was working?

Ahem...

Spoiler :

I also have the 1550 save available if you care about you're HOF.

Attachments

• Iroquois Emperor, 1545 AD.SAV
    286.5 KB · Views: 48
I feel I must give credit where credit is due.

I would like to thank ThinkTank and Lanzelot for playing the first game and helping me there.

For this game, I would like to thank Spoonwood for posting many tips.

Most importantly, I would like to thank VMXA for all the time he spent posting detailed logs of things I could improve, among other things.

:hatsoff:

Top Bottom