Multiplayer mods when?

Sovietof17

Warlord
When, if ever, will we have the opportunity to utilize mods in multiplayer?

(Besides being able to use our own LUA map generation scripts through a trick that involves copying the custom map script to the "offical maps" directory).

Please for the love of god make it happen. Civup and Gem = Amazing! It will sell more if ya do it! :D

This.

I'll be glad to see some of the new features, and will probably buy this anyway. But .... BRING US MP MODS!!!

The BEST feature of Civ IV for longevity were some of the amazing mods (both community and the scenarios that Firaxis provided). I really don't understand why they're not turned on even now ... I'm sure that there are some logistical difficulties, but if we CAN play them in MP GMR, then why not directly?

Very disappointed that there is no mention at all of fixing MP, they can create entire new game mechanics but can't fix MP code to even a basic level in over 2 years.:(

CS

Moderator Action: Moved to more appropriate thread.

Pitboss. For the love of all things holy, Pitboss!

Giant Multiplayer Robot is great and all, but until a game can go from being played in 12/24 hour turns to simultaneously when all involved players are logged in I will not be satisfied.

How does this thread get to the bottom? Do people really not care about multiplayer? What kind of message are we sending to these kind of companies when we are willing to accept a shoddy AI, lap up every x-pack, and not be concerned with the core functionality of the product????

Also, why should using mods disable achievements? That is ridiculous.

Also, why should using mods disable achievements? That is ridiculous.
That one's pretty obvious. If they could, people would make mods and scenarios specifically designed to let you harvest as many achievements as possible in a couple of turns. There are very few achievements you couldn't "cheat" in such a way, so a lot of people would complain loudly about them being rendered essentially pointless.

Do people really not care about multiplayer?

For every person who plays MP, nine people play SP. Except I just lied and it is probably nine and a half people.

Edit: Also, not all mods disable achievements.

Very disappointed that there is no mention at all of fixing MP, they can create entire new game mechanics but can't fix MP code to even a basic level in over 2 years.:(

CS

Moderator Action: Moved to more appropriate thread.

Well since my original post in the BNW thread got relocated I will take this opportunity to say that we will not see mods in MP because the base code is so fragile that it can not handle the added weight of dealing with syncing mod code as well.(this is purely my opinion of course).

And for the person that indicated that only 1 of 10 players is an MPer, that maybe true, but it's true because MP sucks in Civ5, Civ2 to Civ4 had robust MP communities, even without real dev support. But Civ5 MP is so crappy and unstable we have a hard time keeping any community together. So your statement is a self fulfilling prophesy.

And since MP has not been fixed yet for Civ5 we will likely not ever see it fixed. We can only hope that someone in Firaxis sees the light and realizes their mistakes with Civ5 and brings decent MP to Civ6.

CS

How does this thread get to the bottom? Do people really not care about multiplayer?
Well - I'd love to see this included... I know some people love it.
When Civ2 got the multiplayer features in expansion it was a nifty novelty for me and never the main selling point for the expansion or the game. I've kinda held onto that view I guess. Civ is a game I like to take my time on... multiplayer rushes me and tends to change the whole experience :(

Well this is not the MP section on Civfanatics, and even then Civfanatics is primarily a SP fan site, nothing wrong with that, but if you want to take part in a community that has the sole purpose of promoting MP, that is what Civplayers is about.

But I agree, we keep buying substandard products with shoddy MP, when the rest of the gaming world embraces MP as at least equal to SP, and we get what we get....

CS

I think it'd be wonderful for the Civ community if MP got more attention. I have never played an MP civ game, and probably never will, so am definitely of the opinion that SP takes priority, but it does seem fairly absurd that a supposed feature of the game is not really entirely functional.

Well since my original post in the BNW thread got relocated I will take this opportunity to say that we will not see mods in MP because the base code is so fragile that it can not handle the added weight of dealing with syncing mod code as well.(this is purely my opinion of course).

I don't agree. I think that they will handle mods from workshop like DLC. I think that mods in MP will be one of "new" features in BNW.

I don't agree. I think that they will handle mods from workshop like DLC. I think that mods in MP will be one of "new" features in BNW.

I hope you are right.

I also want to use mods in single player because the AI is just too easy to beat even in the harder difficulties. You can give it all the bonuses you want, but it is just so easy to beat the AI in war, since it doesn't understand how to use combined arms to make an effective push.

Especially utilizing the general forts against the AI which is essentially cheating because the AI doesn't understand that standing next to these things hurts it.

When, if ever, will we have the opportunity to utilize mods in multiplayer?

(Besides being able to use our own LUA map generation scripts through a trick that involves copying the custom map script to the "offical maps" directory).

How do you use custom scripts in Internet multiplayer? I've copied the LUA file to every conceivable folder on my computer, and still don't see that Map type as being available when I choose multiplayer when setting up a multiplayer game?

If they were fixing MP you would think they would be screaming about this in their BNW ad campaign, but they are mysteriously silent. I hope you are right, but I would not bet a penny of my money on it :-/

And installing mods from the workshop is not the issue, that can be handled just like SP mods, it's syncing all the extra data between game states on all the players computers that the current MP code can not handle, it it could we would already have mods in MP.....

CS

Also, I'm not entirely sure if that would be a marketing priority in any case. With G&K, it was the new features of the game that were advertised, far more than all the other small balance/polish changes that went on, that were arguably just as important. "We're going to fix MP" seems unlikely to draw in many extra customers.

Also, I'm not entirely sure if that would be a marketing priority in any case. With G&K, it was the new features of the game that were advertised, far more than all the other small balance/polish changes that went on, that were arguably just as important. "We're going to fix MP" seems unlikely to draw in many extra customers.

Working MP would be a "new feature" sadly....

CS

Top Bottom