Multiplayer

JokerJace

Prince
First of all, sorry if this has been discussed already.

Multiplayer in CiV has a lot of issues. At some point they luckily integrated the hybrid mode, which solved the problem of CiV MP being a real time strategy game. Which was complete ****. Yet most people still play it that way. :-/ And if I want to host a hybrid game, it never starts, because people are able to join the lobby, even though they don't meet the hosts content requirements and I have to kick people for at least 30 minutes. In my opinion it's quite an audacity that this has never been corrected. Add a few more minor things and the usability of session management is a complete DISASTER.

So I was wondering if Firaxis already stated somewhere if they plan to improve the multiplayer experience. I'm mainly talking about usability here. Because I'm probably not going to buy the game if it's managed the same way as in CiV. Thanks for any info.

Not taking your money isn't the point. The creators at firaxis weren't trying to make some extra money because it didn't have the xcom squad for the android and only went for the Apple platform. You don't have to buy be...

Not taking your money isn't the point. The creators at firaxis weren't trying to make some extra money because it didn't have the xcom squad for the android and only went for the Apple platform. You don't have to buy be...

I literally am not able to follow your point at all I'm afraid, what are you trying to say?

This is a really REALLY big problem with the Civ franchise atm and one that really needs more attention. Increasingly multiplayer is becoming a more popular playstyle across genres of gaming, and yet in civ it's still just an after thought...

If there is multplayer, it needs to be a honest effort. It needs to have support, the same support they give to the single player. A lot of people, myself included, are mostly multiplayer users, and since they've said this can be a multiplayer game i will take them at their word. But it's gunna wrangle if they leave it in the same mess Civ V is in. The multiplayer for that game is just disgraceful, and frankly its appalling that they can leave it so bugged.

Increasingly multiplayer is becoming a more popular playstyle across genres of gaming, and yet in civ it's still just an after thought...

I don't think you're right. Civ5 Vanilla was geared towards multiplayer, as that was very important for Shaefer. But its followers mostly single player folks who wanted more immersion and depth, it was neither a good singleplayer or a good multiplayer experience. I won't argue about the end product or how good it turned out to be, but multiplayer was not an afterthought at all with Civ5. The expansions then focused on enhancing the single player experience, since it turned out that most players were using Civ5 that way.

It is hard do make a game equally good for multiplayer as for singleplayer, because you have different pacing, different timeframes (single player games can last much longer). There was this hype around multiplayer as the only working form of copy protection, which made it important for developers to focus on that aspect. In Civ5 it lead to the multiplayer part and the singleplayer part to be equally bad, instead of equally good. I think i only played with balance mods and marathon in Civ5 Vanilla, because of lack of immersion. The one multiplayer game i played (on fast) took quite too long for my tastes. Imho it is far better just to focus on one aspect. I'd like us both getting our cake, but i just don't think it will be happpening.

If vanilla was geared to MP, it was done pretty badly - it was barely functional. MP was made more usable and stable in those expansion that were "focused on enhancing the single player experience".

If vanilla was geared to MP, it was done pretty badly - it was barely functional. MP was made more usable and stable in those expansion that were "focused on enhancing the single player experience".

I was talking about development focus and conception of game mechanics, not stability. And we both agree that it was done badly.

Where you answering to something else. Because you were definitely not answering me... :confused:

Top Bottom