Multiple tile cities

Edish

Chieftain
Hello, something I've always missed in civ is the really sprawling city, and one of my favorite parts of Fall from heaven was the Million slum wonder that gave you an extra ring of tiles.

My solution is that when a city reaches size 15 or 20 there is a -50% growth penalty added due to severe overcrowding. You can then build a new ward of your city, and choose which tile in the immediate ring around the city the new ward of the city shall be build. This spreads the city on that direction and you thus get the ability to use the tiles in that direction, to for example get that damn titanium that just popped out outside reach. With the development of a specific tech, this expansion should be able to be built outwards into the sea (and thus limiting the potential problem with tiles shared between different cities.

A further ward is needed to avoid the modifier at size 30, 45 and so on.

The new city tile has a base yield of 5,5,5 and 4 culture. Increasing by 1,1,1 when getting Magnasanti. So, in the endgame you might have a three tile city, stretching into the sea.

Can someone mod this pleeeeease?

I always liked that concept, especially since I saw cities as capitals of counties/states, so you could build a "lesser" Town, not as big as a City but just a smaller town and I guess you could reach those extra tiles that way.

When I played civ 4, which by far is the best civ game IMHO, I always saw the cottage to town development as the sprawling suburbia... To bad it never got "integrated" graphic-vise into the city... That concept was so much better than the stupid trade stations from civ 5...

The Elemental games work like that where every building goes on the map and you can build your cities towards resources to get them inside your boarders.

You could make it so every 3 population, a town/suburb appears in the surrounding are giving +2 :c5food:, +1:c5production: and +2 :c5culture:. Once all six surrounding areas have developed (with your city at 18 population) the suburbs become more dense, and become outgrowths of the city, supplying more production, culture, energy, and science.

As well, if you are attacking, you can pillage the suburbs, causing the city to lose population.

I agree with this idea quite a bit.
Not sure if you've played Endless Legend but although that game has a pretty rubbish city management system with regards to its population use ('working tiles' has pretty much brought me back to Civ, its such a better system and I miss it too much :p ), it does excel in the fact that you have to expand your cities using Boroughs, which you build adjacent to the main city.

What I do disagree with though is that you need 15 pop to do so? A bit much aint it, and it would restrict this feature to the mid/late game. Maybe 3-6 pop instead?

I would love to see this feature implemented in an expansion pack, especially if it can tie in with the Affinities. For example Harmony players could get the benefit of being able to build wards non-adjacent to each other, whereas Supremacy players could build Vertical wards which have the benefit of juicing up the workable tiles surrounding that city, etc. etc.

You could also have it so you would need a tech in order for you to gain more people per tile, with it starting out at 2, then 3 , then finally 4. Why you would have to do that is because the cities cap out after all of the tiles are filled

Top Bottom