Must-Have Mods?

Shadole

Warlord
The only 2 mods I hear talked about are CQUI and 8 Ages of Pace. I don't like CQUI at all and I use 8 Ages of Pace every now and then. What else is good?

I use quo, AI+, MOAR units mod + MOAR units extended.
Those are the most critical. Beside that i use multiple small ui mods

Thanks for your reply. I am turned off of MOAR Units because the creator said he was not going to update it again, which means that newer civs (I guess Nubia onward) are disadvantaged.

Currently I am only playing with Yet (not) Another Maps Pack.

I haven't tried any other Mods at all, but I am tempted to check out :
  • Free Camera
  • Produciton Queue (the stand alone one)
  • Sukritact's Simple UI Adjustments

One of my favorites is "Tomatekh's Historical Religions." I also like "5."

Sukritact's Simple UI Adjustments is excellent, and imo far superior to CQUI.

As far as mods go, it kinda depends what you're looking for. New civs? Gameplay adjustments? New gameplay elements? Resources? UI Adjustments? I'd be happy to provide some recommendations, but it's also a good idea to just browse the Steam Workshop and see what looks interesting to you.

Currently I am only playing with Yet (not) Another Maps Pack.

I haven't tried any other Mods at all, but I am tempted to check out :
  • Free Camera
  • Produciton Queue (the stand alone one)
  • Sukritact's Simple UI Adjustments
The Europe Map in "Yet (not) Another Maps Pack" is my favorite maps.

Sukritact's Simple UI Adjustments is FAR, FAR better (for me) than CQUI because it's less invasive. It just shows a little more data without affecting gameplay.

I like YnAMP and the Gold resource mod (that adds Gold from the Australian outback scenario into the main game)

If you don't like CQUI, I'd still recommend the "production queue" mod, because ... really?

Also, I like the MOAR units (core only) mod combo, which fills some gaps in unit lines.

Leugi/Sukritact's unique district icons because they are just gorgeous.

Sukritact's Simple UI Adjustments is excellent, and imo far superior to CQUI.

As far as mods go, it kinda depends what you're looking for. New civs? Gameplay adjustments? New gameplay elements? Resources? UI Adjustments? I'd be happy to provide some recommendations, but it's also a good idea to just browse the Steam Workshop and see what looks interesting to you.

Thanks for your response. I am not really looking for new civs, but gameplay adjustments, elements, and resources all sound promising to me. I will check out Sukritact's UI Adjustments mod.

"Removable districts" is a must. Because AI placement is bad. Also, Vicky likes to put art museums in her cities, and that's a no-no.

"Extended Eras- Historical speed" is turning out to be a lot of fun.

I like "CQUI", dunno what people couldnt like about it? It's great IMHO.

And dont judge me, but, "Expanded Initial Vision" because I'm a cheater and it saves a huge amount of time on deciding if a map is even playable or not. I used to spend a couple hours running scouts around every new game, only to restart because something was just bad about the map, or my city placement could have been better. Set that range to 100 and just be done with it... Also counters a sound bug I get with boats in the polar caps, when I "explore". Now I can avoid that as well...

Now for the finally. Do-it-yourself mod of enabling worldbuilder in the INI file, coupled with "Play your custom maps". It's a bit clunky, both the worldbuilder, and how you actually get a map to load, just read those directions close. I've always been a worldbuilder guy, and this saved the game for me... After spending 2 nights in a row restarting because I wanted a 'Del-Torres' start I in a rage, finally figured out how to make world builder work. Now if I want to see or make some super start, I can do that.

Last edited:
All right - back at my PC so this is easier. Here are some favorites of mine:

Miscellaneous
Rosetta - this mod dynamically changes city names according to their owner, and is impressive in its scope since it includes support for all the vanilla+dlc civs as well as many modded civs
Sukritact's Resources - adds in some high quality custom resources

UI Mods
Sukritact's Simple UI Adjustments - makes simple and intuitive UI adjustments without becoming overwhelming
Sukritact's Civ Selection Screen - handles support for multiple leaders much better than the original
Sukritact's Improved Mod Screen - makes enabling/disabling mods much easier
Unique District Icons - gives unique districts unique icons
Better Civilization Icons - redoes many of the civilization and city-state icons

Religion
Religion Expanded - increases the maximum number of religions (if you so desire) and adds many new beliefs
Tomatekh's Historical Religions - massively increases the number of religions to choose from

Civilizations and City-States

I know you said you weren't super interested in these, but if you ever decide you are, here are some ideas.

All of these release quality civs: JFD, Sukritact, Leugi, Antagonise
CIVITAS collection (shameless self-promotion)
TCS City-States (more shameless self-promotion)

I'd use any mod which replaces the abysmal AI which comes with Civ 6. That and one which fixes the clipping out of units' sounds.

Last edited:
I had trouble with "manual" mods (game crashing, and I know I installed them correctly, I do this with nearly every other game I have), and I finally had to bite the bullet and try this steam workshop thingy. So far, so good regarding crashes. *fingers crossed*.

Moar units. Though the units don't come until later after I'm usually done with war. Oh well. They look pretty even if I never use them.

I also got the beefed up Aquaduct and Entertainment district. The interesting thing about the beefed up Aqueduct (sorry it's hard to look up the exact name of the mod in the middle of a game), is the AI will build this, which also means they will actually build Angkor Wat. It's the only time I've ever been beaten to Angkor Wat. The AI simply doesn't value Aqueducts, because even the dumb AI knows they suck. :) With this mod, aqueducts are useful. I think I got a decreased barbarian aggressiveness mod as well. And 2 leaders, Donald Trump and Ronald Reagan, I'm playing Trump now. No comments about that please.

Okay I looked it up, it's called Improved Aqueduct District, I'm also running Faster border growth, minimized warmongering penalties, moar units, more amenities from entertainment, more housing, nerfed barbarians, no joint war, Yet not another maps pack, and last but not least, Reagan and Trump. So far I'm happy with these, but I may get rid of No Joint Wars, because there really is no wars, everyone loves me. :)

Oh, I forgot that I use "minimized warmonger penalties", not because I'm a warmonger so much as I think the warmonger penalties in the base game are nonsensical.

Thank you everyone for listing your favorite ones, especially that nice list @thecrazyscot . Looks like quite a few of these fix issues I have with the game. Keep commenting everyone!

Rule with faith by JFD . More policies, governments and two more types of policy: cultural and religious, along with an extra religious great person that is not solely dedicated to founding religion making the points generated by the holy sites useful.

This along with 8 ages of pace, YNAEMP and moar units is what I'm currently using.

Couple I recently installed which really enhanced the game for me:
- Resourceful (I don't play every game with it, but it's refreshing to play with new resources every now and then)
- CIVI Graphs: Gives you some more insight on what's going on in the game, so you can plan accordingly
- Community Quick User Interface - CQUI: Bunch of enhancements to UI that actually un-break things
- Yet (not) Another Maps Pack (The real must-have for me... the map choices are very limited otherwise, and this creates a host of new and interesting ways to setup the game)
- Gold Resource (cause it's just dumb that AUS scenario Gold is not in base game)
- Real Great People: Adds actual faces to the great people, based on real artwork, photo's or facial reconstruction of the said GP

Top Bottom