My experience so far

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Strategy & Tips' started by Astan, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Astan

Astan Chieftain

I use large map with 8 other civs and low sea level. The others can get gigantic with 20+ cities.

2. Boshi

Boshi Chieftain

Then in that case, that's pretty damn impressive. I guess your strategy is to try to establish a buffer between you and the AI by razing cities in the relatively early game until you can get some good stack-busting tactics in place?

3. Astan

Astan Chieftain

Actually i try to not wage war at all. Its all about the economy. I get one or two great scientists early, then build up a good defense consisting of a core of about 4-5 swordsmen in every city with multiple upgrades and try to get a few high quality units. My capital (with god-king for a long time) works on military while the other two cities do nothing but build up economic structures.

If you use the Kuriotate cultural ability before cities have been built right next to you the computers don't get angry as quickly.

I could perhaps write a walk-through if anyone wants me to but its a little complicated.

4. DerWille

DerWille Chieftain

I would love to read it, if it isn't too much of a bother.

5. Kenjister

Kenjister Swimmer

I've always seen the Kuriotates as a bit of a gamble. Since I play most of my games with Blessings of Amathon on, the early advantage of the Kurios can easily be overwhelmed by the AI bonuses and superior starting sites. The economy is the Kurio's strength, it's overpoweredness. However, it doesn't protect you from the other civs strong points. The Diety Ljolsalfar and Svaltalfar can really get an insane economy if left alone enough, and if the AI's had some wars before you get to them, you may not be albe to overwhelm their veteran troops.

Of course, you could wait for them to come to you, and get experience that way... I'm guessing that's how you get your early military core formed. Just wondering, but around what turn do you usually get your Kuriotate wins?

Oh, and a final note. If you think the Kurios are overpowered, you should try out some more civs. The developers went with the wonderfully fun guideline of "If everything is overpowered, nothing is!" And a Pyre Zombie rush is really, really overpowered.

6. Astan

Astan Chieftain

On normal game speed i get the wins between 350-400. I tried some other civs but so far i could not get an economy going that would keep me in the game with my settings. I think the main problem is that building settlers is so expensive.

I started writing a walk-through but i am not done yet.

7. Emptiness

Emptiness []

What settings do you use to play? I know you said large map, low sea level, 8 AIs - but what other settings (map, difficulty, victory conditions, options, et c.)?

8. Astan

Astan Chieftain

random Pangea map, immortal. won on a large Lakes as well once or twice.

I never changed any other settings or options i believe.

9. Bootsiuv

Bootsiuv Prince

There are several civs that can compete economically with the Kurios IMO. All of the financial leaders (Flauros, Arturus Thorne, Hannah the Irin) get a great boost to commerce, and their civs are already set up to perform well economically.

The Lanun under Hannah have explosive growth, even on pangea type maps, as their is almost always a shoreline to be found somewhere. Now, on a map that has absolutely no water whatsoever, they would certainly be at a disadvantage, and much of their strength would be lost. Even then, Hannah's financial trait will still generate great riverside bonuses, more effective plantations, etc.

The Khazad have huge potential when it comes to economy....their production is pretty much unmatched, and their vault bonuses help immensely.

The Calabim also can generate high production (due to governor's manors) and great commerce, at least under Flauros.

I'll admit the Kurios are good, especially on smaller maps, but I think the Calabim, Lanun, and Khazad could compete fairly well when it comes to economy.

This has been my personal experience anyways.

10. Kenjister

Kenjister Swimmer

350-400 seems a bit long to finish an 8 civ game for me... then again, I play with 15 civs on large. (low sea level of course!) Am I right in guessing you do a massive military build up before you sweep out of your homeland? Those tend to take a while with the Kurios.

You should really try the Lanun if you have trouble with non-Kurio startup economies, the only real advantage that the Kurios have are the extra happiness and settler production speed. The Lanun coast bonuses should be able to blow those things away, especially with pirate coves. The Lanun economy gets kicked into gear in the early mid-game, so you mind find them to your style.

11. Astan

Astan Chieftain

What map type? What difficulty? And are you playing on normal or quick speed? You are probably playing on quick?!

12. scutarii

scutarii King

definitely quick. 300 turns in normal is mid-game.

13. Kenjister

Kenjister Swimmer

Nah, I play on normal. 15 civs, Large, Erebus Continent. Depending on the settings either Emperor or Immortal, I've never really liked very high level games, since the differences between the AI and human become more obvious.

I tend to avoid lategame civs though, if I'm not playing as the Bannor. I basically create an elite core of troops in a few early skirmishes (wandering explorers and barbs) and start my campiagns around 200-220. If I play my campaigns right, the AI's fall pretty fast since they aren't good at fighting short wars. Usually I finish around 350... but if I get lucky, I can finish earlier.

I almost never see the lategame, unless I'm playing as Bannor or Elves when I intentionally wait. It makes me sad, so I've recently been doing more roleplaying. Roleplaying wins are much more rewarding; regular conquest games just feel empty.