My First Impressions of My First Civ. Game Ever

TownsendVol

Bringer of Justic & Hope
Well Lets see I started like this

Huge Map, World Against 15 opponents

Ofcourse I didnt bother reading the manual or doing the tuturial at all, I just jumped right in. :D

I think I was on regent level, Not sure what it was called. It was the very Middle one. BAD MISTAKE.

I was wiped off the face of the planet in about 10 min. :rolleyes:

SO I started over on easy level, My settler was killed in about 25 seconds by a barbarian. :mad:

So I started over again, This after being annoited Lincoln the Worthless 2 times. :cry:

I did manage to hang in the game on the 3rd game for while before I was slowly wiped out. Man Washington, held and held and held but eventually fell to the Iroquos sp???

What I like about the game:

The graphics are very nice and clean, there seemed to be alot of detail, Loved the trading and diplomatic screens, it was fun despite my ignorance and pathetic ability. The manual is pretty big but I still havent read it. I just learn on the go and read the manual when I go to bed and try and figure out why I was so stupid.

What I didnt like:

The screen scrolls a bit rough and I have a pretty nice system, the tutorial didnt help after I played it. Neither of these detracted from my fun.

My verdict:

Well even though I SUCK and have died 3 times in about 5 hours, I LOVED IT. I was having a good time. I hope to learn the ins and outs as I go and learn from you all. I cant wait to get home and die some more. :D

Thanks Sid for the game, I think its going to be a winner.

Thanks TownsendVol for your feedback of yours first impressions.
I will try to do same because it pretty cool to read the feeling of players about the new game.

As I do not have civ III yet... In 2 days...
ouf!

LeSphinx

That's the best strategy, play a few times, get beat a few times, wander off in a sulk and read the manual to find out what you've been doing wrong!:lol:

...or come here and ask alot of questions like me!

Of course, I got crushed at the Warlord level and on a small Pangaea with 5 civs... I think my old PII-300 would explode if I tried to run 16 civs and a huge world.

But it was fun while it lasted....

Jay

Does anyone know exactly how much free space it needs? I've got bags of it but I just wanted to know... Some places say 700mb, some say 300, some say 400! Which is it to be?

Well my first game went a little better but not much. I played as the Americans on the 2nd easiest level on a large map against 8 civs. I founded Washington on my first turn (had a couple of deer within my city radius) and then set out my scout. I ran into other civs rather quickly. It turned out I shared the continent with the Persians, Iroquois, Babylonians, and Aztecs. Although at first they were friendly, I noticed that all the trades they offered were somewhat lopsided (instead of tech for tech, they wanted a tech plus some gold). Wasn't long before the Babylonians demanded too much, I said no and they declared war. All the other joined in within 2 turns and I started getting massacred. After losing 2 of my 4 cities, I retired (approx 150 AD) and then went to the dartboard screen to be taunted by the other leaders.

The AI combat AI seems a lot smarter. It looked like the other civs were almost coordinating their moves and they brought a huge number of troops to bear on my cities.

One thing that hurt me was the science setting. I was used to CivII which automatically has your science set to the max level for despotism. In Civ III, its default is 50% and I didn't realize it for quite some time. As a result I really got behind in research.

My second game is going a lot better:)

The game had two install levels

Typical 300 MB I think
Standard 700 MB

Thats all that was listed in the install option.

I couldn't wait till my special edition package arrives from amazon. So I went out and bought another Civ 3 and I will give it as a birthday gift to someone :)

Well, I'm still in the midst of my first game. I played for 6 hours yesterday. I am the Persians in the 2nd difficulty level. I made it to 1200 AD, I started in decent sized Island all by myself. But before you knew it other civs started planting their settlers on my soil, first the Germans, then the English and then the Iroquis. The Germans planted their settler right next to my colony of horses, thus steeling it from me, then they did the same thing next to an iron ore deposit, :mad: thats when I flipped and attacked them, quickly the brits and americans came to their aid, but with my horses and catapults I managed to drive them out of my island. I even took 2 cities by manner of culture, wich was pretty cool. There is one Iroqui city remaining on my Island, and I managed to steal their strategy and plant my own settler on their continet, I hope to use that city as a base for my expansion. :goodjob:

The game is as fun as ever, I couldn't stop playing it. I love it, thanks Cid:D

I'm playing on a Huge world with a bunch of large islands. Every empire except for the Iriquos and Aztecs are on there own island. My island was fully developed so I decided to expand to a nearby island.. which.. low and behold belonged to the Iriqous and Aztecs!@# A war quickly erupted and it's been raging on for 500 years now. Almost everyone in the war has allied with either the Aztecs or the Iriqous against me. The French didn't but then the buggers built a city on my island in the one tiny square of influence I didn't have (I _MUCH_ prefer the way Alpha Centauri does national borders..) so I of course had to go blow that lil thing up.. can't have them damn frenchies ruining my plans!@# The Babylonians and I are still friends.. but they don't seem to respect my pitiful army (*shrug* It's destroyed countless Iriqou/Aztec units.. we make up in tech what we don't have in numbers..) so they won't make any kind of alliance or anything without me giving them wayyyyy to much.. I've just got Infantry units so now I'm building a bunch so I can rush them to the front for my three armies.. after which I'm gonna make this island mine!@# heheh all in all.. a very very fun game.. at first I wasn't so sure about it.. I was expecting more changes I guess from Civ 2.. then I realized.. I loved Civ 2.. and the changes which were made are just enough to make this a new experience.. and I'm back to having that damn 'One More Turn!' syndrome..

Started my first game yesterday with the Germans. It's about 1070 AD and I'm stuck on one continent with the English to the north and the Iriquois boxing me in to the south. The Egyptians, Romans, French and Russians have already settled the other two continents on my map. I have explored the known world with help of The Great Lighthouse and managed to found two cities in gaps between the Egyptian and Roman borders. That's the one thing that I noticed right off the bat - that the AI expands and settles much faster. I went at my usual pace and now I'm a mid-size nation. Tech-wise we're all about even although I have invention and no one else does. I also am the only nation on my continent to have horses so the English and Iriquois are "in fear" of my horsemen, which lets me bully them around. The Egyptians have their special units running around all over the place so they get a wide berth and the French are probably the strongest right now. I can't wait to unleash the Panzers.

Top Bottom