My mod :- problems

thomson_2001

The Hero of Sween
Ok Im working on a mod which has 5 new civs (Maya,Scots,Spain,Arabia and The Vikings). Each civ have a UU and each cultural group has unique units also (i.e Pikeman for European/Mediterranean, Eastern style pikeman for mid east/Aisian). I have added 6 new nat resourses (coffee, tobbacco, sheep, fruit , Oasis and camels). Also added a new tech, Aggriculture (cattle appear on map - requires Monarchy) and 2 new buildings:- Inn (reduces war weariness and +1 happy) and Farm (+1 productivity - works like a lesser factory). Also added new Government:- Tribal (similar to despotism but with hints of monarchy) whih is availible in between despotism and republic.

OK, PROBLEMS!

I tried to play the scenario and i got the message you can see below! So I looked into the PediaIcons file and added my civs in as the originals had. I also added in the natural resourses, governemnt,buildings and tech. But it still gives me the same message!

Any ideas of help u could give me as I has spent ages on the mod, Id really liek to play it or it would be a waste of time :(

If any1 who has added new Civs and units into a mod could send me their PediaIcons txt file so I can have a look Id be very grateful.

THanks

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 117
I'm not sure but I think it has something todo with techs- the end of a tech era or something, I think there was a thread round here somewhere which had the same problems- Pediaicons--->icons doesn't seem to refer to any icon in specific.

Try looking through the forum to find "problems with tech tree crashing game". I think thats where the problem may be.

When I ran into a similar (perhaps the same) error, I checked the city improvements tab and found out that I had forgotten to add a civlopedia entry to the new improvements I had added. I gave them an existing entry and the MOD worked, perhaps your problem is similar...
Hope this helps

thanks. So i must give all buildings Civlopedia entries even though i dont want to write loads of backgorund info on it. Is the same true for Governments and units? I havent created anything in the "pediaIcons" txt or "civlopedia" txt for my new units. Do I have to add them into these files? Ill give it a go after my driving lesson, Thanks guys :)

I did as you said agustindc and it works now, thanks a million! The mod runs beautifully! The Ancient and Middle age techs take longerto research now so those eras arent just russhed through now. Im away to play as the Scottish now after I add in the last of the leaderheads! :)

it is true. but when i mod my game i am too lasy to create civilopedia texts. i just use others. but when you a new unit/improvement the game will crash if you view it in the civilopedia or anything for that mater unless EVERYTHING has a large and small pedia icon. Hope that helps :)

The Scots? So, does this mean you're making a kilted highlander?

I guess I should hurry up with my Robert the Bruce leaderhead then, huh?

At the moment im using a unit called a "tribal warrior" as a "clansman - its basically a warrior weilding a sword and carrying a round shield (found it in the Units library here). If i have time ill draw tartan onto the lower clothing to make it look more like a kilt! Cant wait for the Rob leaderhead, looks great. I might release the mod on this site after tweaking it some more.

Its basically the same civ 3 but just better as there is more individuality to each civ ("cultural unique units" such as eastern pikeman, knights etc.... and then European pikeman,knights.....and S American units such as Eagle warriors and priests.)
There is only 1 new Tech (aggriculture) at the moment. Might add Biological Warfare as a late tech. Two new buildings are the Inn and Farm. Took out the Tribal Govt till i can tweak it more. New resourses such as camels ,coffee etc) also add more depth.

SEE FIRTS POST FOR MORE INFO ON THE ABOVE

The only problem i can see with the mod is that because the Ancient and Middle techs take longer to research more money can be made.Thus the techs can actually be bought from the other civs quicker than it would take to research them normally, actually speeding up the gainage of techs but I will have to play test to see if my hypothesis (Big word) comes true.

yeah civanator i noticed that annoying crash thing! Im gonna leave the civlopedia alone for a while when playing! Ill have to create all the new files i suppose :(

For units if you didn't want to make a ton of new entries you could just make a sheet that says the statistics and special abilities of each new unit and use that for every new unit.

heres a screen of the new desert style resourses and Arabian Civ. Its from the CivEdit and not the ingame so the units are a bit small etc....

Top Bottom