My People Want to Leave Me!?!?

eschey

Chieftain
So I am playing my first game of BtS and I am a long way though it (about 1970's) but from about the 1600's on I keep getting a messages every few turns that a city of mine want to join another country!!! And not just any other country either, they want to join my Vassall!!! Why is this, I have a much higher culture score than them and I am starting to wonder why none of their cities are joining me!!! Of course I won't allow this to happen, I am not just going to start handing my cities over to others! Has anyone else experienced this?

Sure have; as you've probably discovered, when you found cities not on your continent (at least two) you have the option to "liberate" them -- and another Civ takes over (I've had mostly American colonies playing as the Dutch, although I did get Bismark once.)

However, if a civ capitualtes to you and becomes your vassal, your newer and often farther cities want to be set free. I've not idea what the mechanism is for this -- I imagine it has something to do with maintenance costs -- but perhaps someone who knows will come along and enlighten both of us :)

I've gotten this with some of my older established cities that just happen to be within 20-30 tiles of another empire. I can see the border cities, but not my older cities. I wish the system would give a reason WHY the citizens want to join the other culture.

I have had this happen too. I had one city that wated to join another civ on another continent. I took the city from the barbarians but had had it since the early part of the game. They wanted to join my vassel Persia. I had two cities on Persia's continent that also wanted to join them. I almost let them go to save on maintenance but there was no way I was going to let go of the one on my home continent.

The reason I held them is that I don't know if this is a cultural mechanic or if maybe Persia was using spies against me.

I think it is purely cultural but I could be wrong.

Thats what I have always thought. It just seems odd that a city on my land mass would want to join a civ on another. There couldn't have been much cultural pressure there. They weren't anywhere near Persia's cultural borders.

I've gotten this with some of my older established cities that just happen to be within 20-30 tiles of another empire. I can see the border cities, but not my older cities. I wish the system would give a reason WHY the citizens want to join the other culture.

Because the other civ has the most delicious truffles in the world, of course.

If you're not near their borders, could it be from spies spreading culture to your cities?

The pop up you guys are getting is the one that can be disabled on the options menu. Disable it asap before you go insane :crazyeye:

I also got the same annoying messages. During my early game while exploring I found a settler through goodie hut, and immediately formed a city. I was playing on one of those donut maps. So there was India between me and my other set of cities. and Japan was on top of and bordred those cities. Early in the game Japan capitualted to me peacefully and India through war. My cities had pretty strong culture and I was hoping to sway my vassals cities to myself, but I was keep getting the messages that my cities want to join Tokugawa.

Crazy isnt it?

I've had a similar event happen before too. It was Madrid that I captured really early. I was my GPP farm, fobidden palace and had lots of wonders. The citizens kept asking to join Shaka though he's small and technologically backward. Don't talk about culture since Madrid was my first city to achieve legendary culture. Still this stupid thing happened. The only reason I can think is it was next to his capital.

I cave in after winning the game. Madrid was surrounded by my culture and starved to death. Soon after they revolted to join me back! What a stupid citizens!

Oh no, it's not merely captured cities that do that! At least that would have some credibility (not much, especially if it's a city captured 10,000 years ago, but some). I also understand and accept intercontinental cities yearning for freedom from my far-away rule. However, in my games, if somebody becomes my vassal, even my best cities want to join from time to time. OK, so maybe they are border cities. So what? I don't think it's realistic that the second city I founded, which is nearly legendary and whose borders have nearly engulfed two of my vassal's cities, is consistently complaining about wanting to join X vassalised civ! :eek: :confused: :mad:

Just turn off the pop-ups....

Really, they are just like a warning - the warning is that a percentage of one of your cities is under the cultural sway of another. That has some effects in game, but the advisor is just reminding you (in a way that I agree, is very confusing)..... just go into the options and disable those pop-ups and you will never need worry about it again (except when you see unhappy faces in that city :D)

Really, they are just like a warning - the warning is that a percentage of one of your cities is under the cultural sway of another.
If only. When it comes to vassals and teammembers culture doesn't even matter if their capital is closer to the city than your capital is. You can have 100% culture in a city and still get asked to turn it over to your vassal because their capital happend to be closer.

Fortunently for me I turned off advisor popups before I even had a popup asking me to "liberate" a city. I can't understand why anyone would want to keep them on unless they just began playing the game. Then (and only then) I can imagine them being helpful. Except for the liberate city thing. That's never helpful.

The Pop-ups in my limited experience, seem to be just reminders more than good strategic advice. It's more like it's pointing something out to you about the game rather than actually advising that you do it.... which is why the wording should be clearer.

Random event idea:

After leaving a city in unhappiness for a certain amount of turns, you can lose population through refugees leaving your city and moving to another nation (if it accepts them) The recipient Civ can assign the new population to any city of its choice, but they retain their nationality for a certain amount of turns.

You have 3 options;

1) Let 'em go, its a free country (lose 1 pop every 10 turns til red face on city name goes

2) Make a one off gold payment to facilitate improved conditions, 25% chance they will still want to leave

3) Nobody gets out of here alive; Refugees are forcible kept in the city, remain unhappy for longer but eventually return to work when unhappiness abates. One off payment of gold to fund forcing them to stay

What do ye think? Feel free to modify the options

Just turn off the pop-ups....

Really, they are just like a warning - the warning is that a percentage of one of your cities is under the cultural sway of another. That has some effects in game, but the advisor is just reminding you (in a way that I agree, is very confusing)..... just go into the options and disable those pop-ups and you will never need worry about it again (except when you see unhappy faces in that city :D)

In my case my city was the second city I founded, and it was later expanded with my other three cities on its outskirts. All of the cities were very strong culture wise with no foreign controlled tiles or % of their culture. Even then I was getting those pop-ups and that too for not joining the immediate neighbors but at a relatively little farther neighbor, which happened to be my vassal.

As far as I can tell, this pop up will appear for any city which has any (even 0.1%) of an AI's culture. Hence cities that were ever captured, or have pushed back another civ's cultural border will always get that.

I've disabled that pop up as well. Making something as damaging as that look exactly the same as the stupid advice pop-ups was downright moronic.

I've got that very often with one or two of my coastal cities playing on Islands/Archipelago. The city closest in # of tiles to my colonies (one city asking to defect per colony, never more) asks "rightfully" to defect to my colony.

Problem is, my colonies were distant, barely started and had zero culture in that city (It even happened once with one of my cultural metropolis very close to Legendary status...). Usually they keep pestering me til the end of the game.

I never gave in and I never noticed anything happening as a result. I don't know if it's a feature of colonization or a bug.

I guess it might be a problem if my city was unhappy or my colony was unhappy, but my vassals are better treated than old ladies' poodles.

Top Bottom