My Spanish Strategy

ATL Jones Bro3

Chieftain
Hello Fellow Civ Fans.
I'll just give you a breif guide on the Spanish. This is my 1st guide, dont be to harsh :crazyeye:. Constructive critisism will be helpful.
Thanks

Ancient Era:
Well 1st things first, build a city. If you believe you started out in a nice spot, settle. If not find a differnt spot to suit your needs. Ok, normally what i do is build 1 warrior unit for exploration, 1 for defence just in case. After building your warrior build a galleon. This may be a bit risky buildin quite a bit hammers and you may fall behind in tech race, but its worth it. Off exploration, goody huts, and barbs, you should have that free settler. Find a nice spot (preferably a spot with a whale) and set up for a science city.

Medevil Era:
Ok so you should be on your Atlantis search. Now this is why i felt it was ok to fall behind the tech race a bit. Find Atlantis and you should be up there. Now right now you should have 2 cities. I know very tough, but just wait. Ok by now you should be producing between 30-45 sicence per turn (because both cities should have libiaries and possibly one with Collasos(spelling).) Now, heres were it gets good. Once you have code of laws, my favorite tech, EXPAND!!!! Expand out s much as possible. You should have 5-6 cities. NOTE: I ALWAYS STRESS THIS. PLEASE HAVE ATLEAST ONE GOLD CITY PRODUCING AT LEAST 100 GPT. TRUST ME ITS WORTH IT.

Industrial Era:
Ok, I know we've been a bit passive here, but its well worth it. We should be in 1st or 2nd in tech race, 1st or 2nd in econmic race, and tied for 1st in domination. With Spain I would worry about culture to much. Ok now that your expansion is doing well, its time to start attacking your ememies. You should have Metalurgy (cannons). Now build a cannon army and a rifleman army to move with the cannon for defence. If you have a knight army roaming around if you've built one, take it with the cannons. Target a civ and just keep pounding away untill you took down your 1st enemy. Now you probally have 9-10 cities depending on how many cities the oppsing civ had.

Modern Era:
Heres where you could choose between tech victory, and domination. I prefer domination because i love to dominate lol. For you tech path play a bit passive. Not so much to were you letting your oppnents send in army after army on you, but just enough to keep them out of your hair. Make sure you have libraries and unversties in ALL cities expect your gold cities. Try to save a great builder if possible to rush the appalo program. Basically cruise your way to victory. For Domination, Build Artillary and Modern infatry. Have your Modern Infatry with Artillary AT ALL TIMES!!! Just take out all the civs capitols and bango. You've just won.

Well guys, thats that. First guide hope you've enjoyed.

Just skimming over, I noticed a flaw: what if Atlantis isn't in the game? You won't be able to get back in the tech race then. ;)

Huh true i guess, but i have never yet played in a game without atlantis. There is a slight chance of that. I's have to test some things out with spain if that happens and ill get back with you.

Not sure what level you are considering here, but on Deity I tend to do things differently.

I DO believe it's important enough to make the galleon the third item built, so after two warriors (which I use BOTH for exploration) I'll get a galleon on board as well. Not only for finding Atlantis, but also for huts and other relics that can be found quickly. Further, you can dominate the seas if you come across an AI galley. In a pinch, the galleon can also help with fighting if need be (naval support).

I tend to expand a bit more early despite not having a Republic right away. I am especially keen on setting up blocking cities because if you cannot stall an AI or two on Deity it can become troublesome. Get those key defensive cities set up and go to production to get archer armies set up pronto.

With other cities, I'm more interested in key financial producers. I love to have early gold cities where I can - more so than even science cities at the start. Cash first for several reasons:

- Can rush units if desperate
- Can rush another galleon at some point - very handy
- Can buy technology while still friendly with the AI civs (i.e. before they all gang up on you)
- Can even rush settlers to claim key areas
- Beeline currency and at 250 it's free banking. Almost always get the "first to" bonus.

Keep in mind, too, that the Spanish get the 50% gold production!

Yes, falling slightly behind in tech is going to happen, but you can purchase some fill-in techs (try to spread out the spending) and with more cities going up your rate will catch them - especially if you've blocked some others from expanding. Those will spend their production with units which will only serve to give your own units promotions.

I never build any early wonders on my own. They obsolete so early and take up too much on the production side.

When I find Atlantis, I try to 'stalk' it as long as I can. The AI's never seem to actively look for it as well as a human does, and most times I can hold off until the Steel/Combustion era. Keep a scientist handy if you have one as well, and after you pop a later Atlantis you can get to some very key techs first. Once I had two scientists ready to go and popped Atlantis for something like Combustion, Corporation, and Railroad or something akin to that. Great bonuses, and with the scientists got FLIGHT and ADVANCED FLIGHT. Game over at that point.

Love the Spanish civ for the early galleons. The early exploration can be game breaking either early or later.

i did this, but another thing, if madrid is close to a lake, switch to food till your population is 3 and then switch to production and build a settler and put your next city by the ocean. then madrid can work on science and your new city and make a gallion.
at the end of the game i could go for science, economic, or cultural (diddn't feel like transportating all my tanks to another island to the zulu) and i chose economic, because thats what presented itself first.

Top Bottom