Naming Rights - Term 4

Chieftess

Retired Moderator
The following will be a list of Naming Rights for future cities, and/or foriegn named cities in our provinces.

(List under construction) - I will be reviewing all the logs for city names. :)

(I don't know how to do the tabs in this forum's code, so it might look a little ugly :))

Fox Nest Grey Fox
Eÿr Eyrei
Khatovar Cyc
Chie Chieftess
Tirion Curufinwe
CSIM Strider
PDX Bill_in_PDX
Pherris Charis
Plexia Plexus
Shailonegha Shaitan
New Falcon's Haven Falcon
Port Gisnod Donsig
Callisto Immortal
Justinian Justus II
Civanatoria Civanator
Phoenix's Den Phoenix
Paville Chiefpaco

Here's what I can remember:

I named Port Gisnod
Chieftess named Chie
Chiefpaco named Paville
Plexus named Plexia
Justus II named Justinian
Phoenix named Phoenix's Den
Falcon02 named New Falcon's Haven

These I'm not so sure of:

Civanator named Civanatoria
Charis named Pherris
Bill_in_PDX named PDX
Shaitan named Shailonegha
Cyc named Khatovar

I named Khatovar after Shailonegha was named by Shaitan. PDX, Pherris, and Civanatoria came next and Donsig called the namers correctly.

Now that the new constitution is in effect we should be able to address this issue to everyone's satisfaction! :)

1st problem:
who named what, meaning: who already was granted naming-rights?
2nd problem:
what to do with new naming-rights, like honours

The "honors bump" up the naming chain has not been made a rule so isn't yet a factor.

Who has already named a city is what's important now and I think Donsig got all of them.

well, but it should be made a rule soon, since it was forgotten for almost 2 terms now and there is a citizen opinion poll about it.

The best option is to bring it up in the Code of Laws discussion. Second best is to get a Council Member to sponsor it as a Standard proposal. Third would be to start the process to make it a law.

I think we need yet another sticky thread (City Registry. :)) on who named the city, and what posistion they held.

I think this is were it gets confusing, since the majority of the cities were founded in Term 1. Now, we're filling in the gaps, and expanding where cities were razed. It makes following names and the CoC kind of tricky.

Originally posted by Almightyjosh
I've tried to name a city, but it failed, can I have another crack at it (another city, another name)? It's still within my first week as Gov (I was appointed a little late)
As Governor you can propose renaming for any/all cities in your province during the first week of the term. The naming rights that are being discussed in this thread are for newly founded and captured cities. The governor's renaming rights are a separate thing.

not only. i think we could split up like:
* name new and rename captured cities stay with the coc
* rename any city in a province: governor
* rename any city in nation: honoured citizen

to all applies:
* renaming of cities named by other citizens is not allowed (except citizen expelled from game)
* citizen-approval has to be given for renames (including capture!)
* noone is allowed to name/rename 2 cities

I like that, dis. Only changes would be to the last 2 items. If the DP puts up a fresh capture for naming then the person naming it shouldn't need an approval poll. Nobody is allowed to name more than 1 new build or captured city until all citizens have named at least 1 new build or captured city.

Yes, Code of Standards, Section C:

Point 1: Naming rights for new cities will be given following the Chain of Command. When more than one citizen has the same spot in the COC (example - "Elected Officials" group) rank will be determined by their seniority as a citizen (who signed the Registry first). This priority chain will be rearranged by elections as different people move up and down the Chain of Command.

1-a: Citizens that have received an honor will top the COC for purposes of naming rights in the order that they received their honors.

Point 2: The designated player will decide if a captured city is subject to renaming. He/She will post this decision for each newly captured city with the turn brief and save game. Renaming rights follow the chain in Point 1 above.

Point 3: Provinces will be named by the first elected governor of the province.

Point 4: Natural terrain features (mountain chains, lakes, deserts, etc) may be named by Provincial Governors. If the Provincial Governor does not wish to name a feature it may be passed to the naming rights chain in Point 1 above.

Point 5: A newly elected governor may request name changes for cities within his/her province. This can only be done in the first week of the governor's term of office. The governor will post a poll with the suggested name change in an APPROVED / DISAPPROVED / ABSTAIN format and a 2 day or longer time frame. Popular support will allow or deny the proposed name change.

Point 6: Naming rights must pass through all citizens before a citizen is given a second naming right in the chain (from Article 1). That is, if you've already named a city you do not get to name another one because you moved positions in the Chain of Command.

hmm. was 1-a really approved? i can not remember...
i would still propose the naming rights for honours and governors for existing cities only, because we will soon run out of new captured/found cities for the coc if all honours-holders also name there.
this way we could satisfy most naming-needs.

i think the renaming of a captured city is stripping the foreigners in our nation from their identity. imagine you live in new-york, and suddenly it is captured by the russians and renamed to "glasnost". you would not think of it as nice. so i think renames of captured cities should be approoved, but if negated the citizen maintains his/her right and position in the coc (if a governor fails to rename, he has to wait for the next election to have a second try. same with the honours-ppl. if a honoured person fails to rename due to the citizen-poll, he looses his right until he is honoured again).

Originally posted by disorganizer
i think the renaming of a captured city is stripping the foreigners in our nation from their identity. imagine you live in new-york, and suddenly it is captured by the russians and renamed to "glasnost". you would not think of it as nice...

I would not think that capturing New York would be nice!:lol:

I think we are over-complicating this way too much.
If you do decide to put the honored citizens on top of the COC, it should be remembered that if they have already named a city, they can not name another city until everyone else has. As the citizens honors would end at the end of this game, in the next game, the probability of an honored citizen not have already named a city will be scarce (I think in this game we have Dis and Daaraa?). Honored or not they should not be able to name a second city before all citizens have named one city. I think the way we have been doing it is the right way. Putting honored citizen on top of the COC is ok with me.

Here is what I've remembered about past city naming. Cities 9 and 10, and also 15 and 16 maybe reversed (I'm not sure of their order).

City Naming
1. Fox Nest - Grey Fox
2. Eyr - Eyrei
3. Shailonegha - Shaitan
4. Khatovar - Cyc
5. PDX - Bill_in_PDX
6.Pherris - Charis
7. Civanatoria - Civanator
8. Falcon's Haven - Falcon02 (destroyed)
9. Port Gisnod - Donsig
10. New Falcon's Haven - Falcon02
11. Callisto - Immortal
12. Justinian - Justus II
13. Chie - Chieftess
14. Paville - chiefpaco
15. Pleaxia - Plexus
16. CSIM - Strider
17. Phoenix's Den - Phoenix

This is just what I can remember, if you can recall something different, please post here.

This is just asking. I posted a poll last week as govenor of New Cormyr and the name change was voted in favour 9-8. But now im Trade Leader is this vote still valid and can Macao be renamed still?

Top Bottom