Military Dept. - Term 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wary to eliminate our defences in the inner cities. Call me paranoid, but I want to make sure any galley landings will meet some resistance, and we won't get razed cities. However, I understand your concern.

I've seen the AI often abuse ROPs & raze inner cities that have no garrison. I suggest leaving at least 1 troop in most cities. Even an Offensive unit here & there may come in handy. Open cities are very attractive to AIs. In times of peace, we can afford to leave them there. When we are faced with war, I trust Falc to judge where our troops are most needed.

It seems like at the moment Egypt is the main crossroads. With Homie's suggestion (expanding border to coastal, something I'd never thought of). I agree to removing them from the Inner cities, however I will post a poll to get assurance from the general public.

I am currently leading an expedition of Pheonatica's finest explorers, warriors and diplomats to count the resources in the known world. :viking:

A table of our findings has been sealed in a scroll using the most enduring Pheonatician wax and sent towards the palace in Fox Nest with a trustworthy carrier pigeon for Pheonatica's leaders to analyse.

I would like the input of the Military Department on suggestions for trades. Pls. see Trade Department thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=281448&t=9370#post281448

I have posted an excel table with a breakdown of resources for each civ and possible trades.

Greece -

Ivory --> 10 GPT, 9 gold upfront

Then trade world maps immediately (same screen) for only 2 gold.

Rome -

Horses --> 15 GPT, (3 gold upfront) - 3 gold is optional if we want to trade spices

Spices --> 6 GPT
or
Spices --> WP, 3GPT, 30 gold
or
Spices --> 4GPT, 35 gold

*NOTE: Rome is at war with the Babylonians. Except for horses, it will take them 10 turns to reach Babylon through the rugged terrain (and through the Aztec homelands).

**NOTE: If we do go for the horse trade, after it's agreed, immediately trade:
Spices --> WP, 3GPT, 30 gold
China
Incense or Ivory --> 116 gold (150 in treasury)

India
Ivory --> WM, 17 gold (entire treasury)

Aztecs
Incense or Ivory --> 2 GPT, 30 gold
or
Incense or Ivory --> 36 gold (entire treasury)

Iroquois
Incense or Spices --> WM, 5 gold (entire treasury)

Zulus (too poor for viable trade. They want too many resources and gold for silks. They seem desperate.)
Incense, Spice or Ivory --> WM, 2 gold (entire treasury)

I approve the Trade of the Horses.

I think we may even want to make Rome an ally in the future. But, that's their choice.

Give us more soldiers, noble leader. So that we may stick our swords in the beating hearts of our enemies! I would like to have a full scale war. Only our swords can lead us to world domination. Do it, eternal leader Falcon02. Do it for the glory of our empire. While you're at it, overthrow the government and put yorself on the crown of Pheonatica's mighty empire! Long live Falcon02! :king: :satan: :viking: :D

Attachments

• s3_animated.gif
    s3_animated.gif
    2.5 KB · Views: 125
could the department heads please open a new post in the "chat-voicing-list (term2)":
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20797

is should contain the following:
department-name
chat represenatatives in order of priority

for example this could be:
joke-department
1.) leader-name
2.) deputy-name
3.) chat-rep name

this will be the only source for voice-rights, so please update it!
otherwise your reps wont get voice in the chat.

Falcon, I think we are going to need some leadership on a campaign to get some muskets to defend our borders. The age of gunpowder has begun & we may be left vunerable if we do not keep up to date.

im also for more units because the ai only counts the numers, not the strengths. many units will prevent others from attacking us.
PEACE

I think that we currently have 1 city building a Musketman, with a few others building Pikemen. What's the plan here? Are the Pikes to be upgraded? Is it 1 Musket per city, with a Pike or Pikes in reserve? Building Muskets takes a fairly long time in poorly producing cities, but upgrading is costly and (where there are no Barracks) may involve quite a bit of 'shuffling'.

Eventually we will need all Muskets, and then all Riflemen, etc. etc. While peace reigns let's set about an orderly and planned overhaul of our defences.

Can you even build pikes when you have Saltpeter connected?

If not, we might want to avoid connecting some cities if we are about to build pikes, otherwise should we build Musketmen.

You are not able to build pikes if salpeter connected. Thats why in Term1 a road was cut so we could still build warriors instead of immortals and upgrade then.

Actually, I have experienced cases where I get a new tech and the resources are connected, but the city production just doesn't change from pike to musketmen. I imagine that in these cities (if connected) that we will not be able to select "pikemen" but rather muskets.

Currently we have 30 cities and 49 pikemen. I would like to see 1 musketman in each city.

I played with the Idea of upgrading them all. When I discovered that the upgrade would cost 60 Gold each, I KNEW it wasn't gonna be a pretty figure, here it is anyway.

30 Cities * 60 gold per upgrade = 1980 Gold!! (with the Leo's it would have only been 990)

Anyway, so we need to find a good balance between Urgency and time to build more Muskets.

So I suggest for now we work on upgrading pikes in our 10 border cities, costing 600 gold in total (will take a while unless I do some MAJOR borrowing). These cities are....

Abydos
Memphis
Thebes
Elephantine
Justinian
Macao
Asyut
Lutetia
Alexandria
Heliopolis

Edit: Egyptian area can use Memphis as an upgrade center. Khatovar for the Cities along the Lake's west cost, Asyut, Justinian, and Macao. Lutetia can use Fox Nest as a source of upgrades.

Falcon's plan is very sound. I dont think there is such urgency as to require too much 'borrowing'.

Another thing - Foreign Affairs and Culture have a long-term plan of 'cultural assault' aimed at a number of our opponents' border towns. We need to be prepared, if and when this strategy pays off with culture flips, to quickly reinforce newly acquired territory. I think we probably have just enough units in the likely locations to do this, but it is nevertheless an added contingency for military planning.

I would like to restate my opposition to building/upgrading any musketmen at all. A pikeman costs 30 shields and a musketman costs 60 shields, IIRC. Is there any conceivable reason to build one musketman instead of two pikemen? Also, upgrading at 60 gold per unit is rather expensive, IMO. Nearly 2000 gold, apparently. I question whether it is worth the expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom