Native relations & trade

nbcman, by "trade goods" I assume you're not referring to the item that is called "trade goods", right?

Yes, I mean trade the available goods in your wagon train/ship to the natives before purchasing.

I know that after you trade with the Natives, they sometimes change what they want and a message pops up to tell you.

Is there any way to determine what a given tribe is asking for without writing things down after you initially visit them?

TIA

I know that after you trade with the Natives, they sometimes change what they want and a message pops up to tell you.

Is there any way to determine what a given tribe is asking for without writing things down after you initially visit them?

TIA

If you look at the village's little status bar, the circle opposite their population number shows their desired good. It's a bit difficult to read, but in time you'll pick it up easily.

I found that establishing missions can decrease natives' negative attitude against you. It decreases the "Your way of life is threatening us" (something like that)

My neighbour, the Sioux, has reached "Annoyed" stage. I have to appease Sitting Bull by presenting gifts until it reaches "Cautious".

I got 3 missionaries to establish missions in their settlements. That immediately went into "Pleased" stage.

However for some reason, Sitting Bull decided to go to war with me. It looks like the "Your way of life is threatening us" suddenly increases (that baffles me, but I guess it must have been the liberty bells at work).

Anyone has similar situation?

How much can you barter them? In Civ 4, it always seemed you could hardly get anything more than when you ask them what they're willing to give, but I remember in Col1, I could always barter them up to sometimes double (or half) what they offered.

It's too small to see the icon. I have to zoom in to look at it.

If you press ALT-R, or click the show resources button, when zoomed out, you can change what is shown from resources to "native trade goods wanted" or some such. There you may also get an overview of what sort of training each settlement provides :)

really, i never gotten improve relation with tribes from trading. But well, I never gifted goods anyway.

Natives always want guns and horses. They pay well for them, I often give them their money back in exchange for them declaring war on other European powers. When you see native sentiment turning against you, send them some wagons full of more guns and gift them to the natives, this will make them happy with you and less likely to attack you.

When you're looking to improve relations, does it matter how much of a good you gift them? Perhaps there's no benefit until you gift enough for them to change their demands.

Like Infantry, I don't gift often and I haven't noticed a relations benefit from trading. It's probably better to jointly declare war or something, so that you have circumstances that draw you together. There's a bonus for that, I think.

when you sell goods to a native that can't afford it, the goods they did'nt have to buy is considered as a gift

when you reach (250 in normal ? it's 1000 in marathon i think) gold of gifts, you get a + 1 bonus because of yours trades with this native

When i declare independence i start to ship off all my items to the natives for free to get them friendly with me and hopefully on my side, when the revolt starts i dont need money anyway

However for some reason, Sitting Bull decided to go to war with me. It looks like the "Your way of life is threatening us" suddenly increases (that baffles me, but I guess it must have been the liberty bells at work).

Anyone has similar situation?

when he declare war on you, your missions get crushed, and with that the reduction of way of life malus they gave you

it's not enought to keep the native friendly, if you don't have some canons/soldiers, you're an easy target, and they'll come

I always buy the native land. If you don't, it often means instant war, and 500 gold for a colony that should be producing 500 gold in just a few turns is a bargain basement price. Even 1000 gold is very cheap to not buy a war (that will barely get you 1 dragoon, which they are certain to kill in a war).

Cheers,
Tradewind

1000 gold? It seems they always ask me for at least 1400 and I never seem to have that much.

Correction: in the most recent game I anticipated this and (having cashed in a couple of treasures and having sold a cargo of guns) I had about 5000 on hand. Naturally, they didn't ask me for a single doubloon!

It depends just how many of the 9 tiles you want are on indian land. You can check by looking at them individually to see which are claimed by the local tribe. If you park beside a village then you are liable to be charged an exhorbitant price, but sometimes if the villages are well spread out there will be enough unclaimed land between them for you to get it free.

Top Bottom