Natural Wonders Thread.

Neko Keeshi

Chieftain
I was tasked in making a list of Natural Wonder of the Americas.
I believe we might be getting some new things on the map, maybe Ray can tell us lil bit more bout what they are wanting to do!

I'm going to start in the US, and work my way south.

1) Great Smokey Mountains
2) Mississippi River
3) Niagara Falls
4) Monument Valley
5) Great Lakes
6) Florida Everglades
7) Grand Canyon
8) Death Valley
9) Old Faithful Geyser
10) Great Plains

Now Central America

1) Lake Atitlan, Guatemala
2) Ojo de Agua, Nicaragua
3) Pacaya, Guatemala
4) Monteverde Cloud Forest, Costa Rica
5) Gran Cenote, Mexico
6) Belize Barrier Reef, Belize
7) Arenal Volcano, Costa Rica
8) Actun Tunichil Muknal, Belize

And lastly but not least, South America

1) Kaieteur Falls, Guyana
2) Aconcagua, Argentina
3) Laguna Colorada, Bolivia
4) Perito Moreno Glacier, Argentina
5) Lake Titicaca, Peru / Bolivia
6) Colca Canyon, Peru
7) Torres del Paine, Chile
8) Angel Falls, Venezuela
9) Amazon River
10) Atacama Desert, Chile
11) Galapagos Islands, Ecuador
12) Salar de Uyuni, Bolivia
13) Iguazu Falls, Argentina / Brazil

Long list.

If anyone thinks one or more of these shouldn't be on the list, do tell!
If any of these were not around our timeline, let us know here!
This list from me is just a quick google search so, community input is requested!
I'm just a dumb American so, any other info/ideas are welcome! <3

Holy s*h*i*t. That's a long list. :thumbsup:

:dunno::dunno::dunno:

Hm, I'm not sure if we really need them on the map. The map is already full with bonus ressources, animals and other stuff.

Graphics are required! And to be honest...what I have seen so far in Civ4 mods regarding Natural Wonders is...hm,...not the quality I'd like to see in this mod. That means that new graphics need to be created.:aargh:

What is the concept? Only a few of them in a custom game or all? Also the gigantic maps are not big enough to position all of these on the map I think. :think:

Events need to be created, texts need to be written....maybe we should have Natural Wonders in mind for a later version?

Can we have a voting for the implementation...?

Maybe we should have Natural Wonders in mind for a later version?
Don't worry, it is not intended for this release. :)
We are talking here about some time next year.

Ray can tell us lil bit more bout what they are wanting to do!

The concept is currently just in "brainstorming", so not sure yet .

But so far I thought about:

1) Discovering Natural Wonders will give "Exploration Points" and "Political Points".
2) Owning a City next to a Natural Wonder may trigger positive Python Events for the Player.

Additionally one of these 2:

3A) Give a +X of a Yield on that Plot with the Natural Wonder for city workers (e.g. +6 Silver with "Mines of Petosi")
3B) Having a city worker work inside the City work the Plot with the Natural Wonder may give either
  • Happiness Modifier
  • Culture Modifier
  • Crosses Modifier
  • Liberty Bells Modifier
  • Hammers Modifier
  • Health Modifier

Last edited:
Graphics are required!
Not necessarily. :think:
We could simply place a "blue cirle" and "sign" (with text - like when using "Alt+S") on the map as well.

Although I agree that feature graphics woud be way cooler. :)
But I am aware how much effort this is -- thus this is a "long term idea".
...maybe we should have Natural Wonders in mind for a later version?
Fully agree, but we might already start searching graphics and stuff. :thumbsup:
So simply start to prepare this in the months to come.

Can we have a voting for the implementation...?
Sure, it is always a good idea to get a bit of feedback. :)

@Keeshi: Could you add a poll to the starting post please?
(Asking if team and community want to have this feature or not.)

------

Generally there has no decision been made yet if we will actually implement it. :)
And as always we need people motivated to implement it anways.

Last edited:
I think it will add flavour to the game.

On the list by Keeshi, including the natural wonder should make sense with the relevant period (15th-18th century) in mind. Not how we look at it as nowadays' tourists.
Also we should think about what bonus should be connected to it, with some type of logic.

Additional wonders could be:
- Potosi, adding a large silver bonus.
- Popecatepetl, adding Happiness/Crosses modifiers to it.

--> Popecatepetl could also be used in another idea of Ray of adding National Heroes ( .
The hero could in that case be Diego de Ordazs: https://thehistorianshut.com/2019/08/19/diego-de-ordazs-volcanic-adventure/ and http://www.dankat.com/mstory/volcano.htm

Another possible feature could be to add discovering rivers, mountain ranges and regions. This is based on the 1996 PC Game of Conquest of the New World.
When discovering them, you can give them a name and gain victory points with them. The nice aspect from this feature is that it makes the map more alive.
For example, when you would explore a river with a minimum number of tiles, you could name the river, the region (e.g. 10 connected tiles with plains or x tiles with grass). Mountain peaks are probably not possible, as there is only a similar level of elevation. But mountain ranges (i.e. 10 connected tiles of peaks) could work. In WTP you would gain exploration points.

Another possible feature could be to add discovering rivers, mountain ranges and regions.
e.g. 10 connected tiles with plains or x tiles with grass ...
i.e. 10 connected tiles of peaks

Sorry, but that is simply not going to work considering ingame performance and effort. :nope:

The DLL does not support to check something like "10 connected peaks" or "10 connected river plots".
And even if we could implement it, it would cost so much ingame performance that we should not do it.

In 9 out of 10 cases it would not work on random Maps anyways.

-----

Let us please stick with technical solutions which the engine could already support with moderate effort of coding. :thumbsup:
(i.e 1 single Plot with a unique Feature / unique Bonus Ressource - which will also not ruin performance.)

-----
you could name the river, the region
You can already do that by placing a sign with "Alt + S". :thumbsup:

Last edited:
You can already do that by placing a sign with "Alt + S". :thumbsup:
it will look like a sign if it is placed on only one tile. if the names of "natural wonders" were several tiles long, then it would look good.
in my opinion, given the planned multithreading, it is important that there is a modder to try to implement it. and how it will affect the game as a whole can only be found out by tests. but here you need strong motivation: to start doing something that, perhaps, will not be implemented due to game lags on weak computers.

Top Bottom