Naval Base district

Should there be separate civil and military port districts?

• Yes

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
Civilians. particularly merchant navy, rarely shares the same port facilities with Navy. Particularly in a civilization that had their strong standing navy, let's say Old Rome and maybe Carthage (Phoenicia in Civ6 GS) were known to raise and maintain strong navy, In the middle ages came Byzantine, Venice, and even China were known to have their Imperial Navy. These empires did separate civilian and military naval facilities. Also in game there are unique naval districts; Royal Navy Dockyard for England in Vanilla (regardless of the leaderships), and Phoenician Cothon in GS. these are hardcore military assets and thus not to be shared with civilians.
If there's gonna be separate civil and military port facilities.
1. Naval Base should also have its own attack just like Encampment on land
2. Building lists
- Basic: Drydock -> Warship production
- Intermediate: Coastal Battery -> Enables its own city defense and ranged attack. Additional ranged attack and defense strenght (this district only and not shared with encampment and city center).
- Naval Academy: Grants experience to naval units and Amphibious Class unit. (if applicable)
- Provides Great Admiral points: Harbor should provides half Great Merchant points (the other half is provided by Commercial Hub.
Whatchu think?

I like this idea, Lonecat. I'm thinking we should get the Coastal Battery at Castles, and the Naval Academy at Nationalism.

Instead of making a separate district I think it would be more interesting if you had the choice to make a Harbor ore towards shipping/trading or military based on the buildings you construct.
Instead of Seaport they can split it into Military Port and Cargo Port. The Military Port gains the combat bonuses of the Seaport and the Cargo Port gives the other bonuses.

Civilians. particularly merchant navy, rarely shares the same port facilities with Navy. Particularly in a civilization that had their strong standing navy, let's say Old Rome and maybe Carthage (Phoenicia in Civ6 GS) were known to raise and maintain strong navy, In the middle ages came Byzantine, Venice, and even China were known to have their Imperial Navy. These empires did separate civilian and military naval facilities. Also in game there are unique naval districts; Royal Navy Dockyard for England in Vanilla (regardless of the leaderships), and Phoenician Cothon in GS. these are hardcore military assets and thus not to be shared with civilians.
1. Naval Base should also have its own attack just like Encampment on land
2. Building lists
- Basic: Drydock -> Warship production
- Intermediate: Coastal Battery -> Enables its own city defense and ranged attack. Additional ranged attack and defense strenght (this district only and not shared with encampment and city center).
- Naval Academy: Grants experience to naval units and Amphibious Class unit. (if applicable)
- Provides Great Admiral points: Harbor should provides half Great Merchant points (the other half is provided by Commercial Hub.
Whatchu think?
Sounds good to me, I'd like to see this.

If we're going to do this I think that navy shouldn't have its own harbour, I think it should have its own encampment.
But it would still need to be built on coastal tile which I think is the point of the OP. Basically a coastal encampment.

By analogy that would make encampments 'war commercial hubs'
Nah! this district will NOT grant gold bonus to any tiles nor with its buildings generates gold. It is hardcore military complex operated by Navy.

I don't think yet more districts that need to be fitted in on the map is that great a plan - especially if the new district is a split from an existing one. At some point, between wonders and districts, we'll run out of food tiles. Alternate building specializations for the harbor sounds a lot more reasonable.

I don't think yet more districts that need to be fitted in on the map is that great a plan...

That's much less of a problem for districts that are built on the water though.

But I do think broadly speaking that's correct. I think that there needs to be an adjustment to make more tiles available to work.

I don't think yet more districts that need to be fitted in on the map is that great a plan - especially if the new district is a split from an existing one. At some point, between wonders and districts, we'll run out of food tiles. Alternate building specializations for the harbor sounds a lot more reasonable.
Alternate buildings in the harbor won't be any different from having a dedicated district except you don't have the choice to make both. With alternate buildings you can make one or the other. With two districts you can make one or the other, or both if you want.

Going back to the OP:
Also in game there are unique naval districts; Royal Navy Dockyard for England in Vanilla (regardless of the leaderships), and Phoenician Cothon in GS. these are hardcore military assets and thus not to be shared with civilians.
If separate naval districts were implemented what would the Cothon be considered as it both housed a military ships and were used for and trading?
Or would it be a unique harbor with abilities of a naval base considering the Royal Navy Dockyard would definitely be a unique naval base?

Actually, now that I think about it, while it's true that civilian ships rarely share the same facilities with military navies, they often enough share the same *harbor*, just different facilities within it. Portsmouth, Hampton Roads/Norfolk and Halifax are all examples of harbors with both major naval bases AND major civilian shipping components. Those harbors are rarely so large that they would justify taking up two separate districts to represent them - that's just completely out of scale with the map in any reasonable way.

Now, it's true that ports tend to specialize one way or the other to some degree (major naval bases tend to be slightly less civilian shipping centric, and major civilian harbors tend to have less of a military component), so a third-tier building choice between the Naval Base and the International Port, representing a choice to focus that harbor more on one type of activity or the other, would be entirely reasonable.

For those purely military bases (think Scapa in the World Wars, or arguably Pearl), they should probably be treated much as airbases and forts, eg, a terrain improvement built by the military engineer that provides certain bonuses to naval units, rather than a full blown district.

Perhaps it could also be it a water fort? So it would just need a military engineer charge or two to be constructed, and wouldn't hinder current harbour district bonuses too much; but I like the idea of a strong navy. If we just had enough time to build the ships.

Top Bottom