(E&E) Civilization VI - Deep Dive: Denmark

TyrannusRex

Warlord
Danish Empire
Leiðangr

During the first 10 turns of a surprise war declared by or upon Denmark, all coastal cities can purchase a naval melee unit for free, with an extra one becoming available with each Harbor building. These units gain +1 movement speed and grant a +3 combat bonus to adjacent land melee units, +5 with Shipbuilding. The city that produced these naval units gets -10% Food yield for each unit until they are destroyed or decommissioned.
Huscarl
Medieval Era melee unit that replaces the Man-at-Arms. Slightly more expensive than the Man-at-Arms but has higher combat strength. +5 combat strength when defending against ranged attacks, +10 if adjacent to at least one other Huscarl.
Købstad
Unique District that replaces the Commercial Hub. Provides +1 Population space and reduces the Gold purchase cost by 50% of all naval units if built adjacent to a Harbor, all land units (combat or support) if adjacent to an Encampment, and all buildings and civilian units if adjacent to a City Center. Buildings in the Købstad have +25% upkeep cost.

Margaret I
Kalmar Union

Domestic Trade Routes increase Loyalty by +10% each turn in the receiving city if the sending city contains an improved luxury or strategic resource. Trade Routes to the cities of denounced civilizations decrease their Loyalty by -5% each turn, and Traders from said civilization cannot enter Danish territory.

Sovereign Lady and Ruler
Likes civilizations who maintain high Loyalty in their cities through use of Governors or military units and will try to keep a Governor and military unit in as many cities as possible. Dislikes civilizations who suffer disloyal cities, or who neglect the use of Governors or units for maintaining Loyalty.

O noble and refined lady Margaret of House Estridsen, Queen over the Kalmar Union, the hardy folk of the north ask that you lead them into an age of glory. Help them grow strong by building markets, dockyards, and mighty ships to ferry goods and coin across the world... but forget not the sleek prow of the longship nor the sharp blare of the war horn. Send loyal huscarls to crush your foes and defend your honor, so that none may forget the fierce legacy of Scandinavia even as it strives for a more peaceful future.

Margaret I's Details

Religion: Catholicism
General personality: Friendly and clever, with a subtle overconfidence; when angered, stoic and serious.

Dialogue:
Margaret would speak Middle Danish.

Spoiler Dialogue :

Voiced Lines:

Greeting:
“Margrete Valdemarsdatter, sovereign lady over Denmark, Norway, and Sweden, presides over this fair meeting. We welcome you to find rest among our people.”

Agenda-based Approval: “When one has such a vast and diverse empire as yours – or, as ours – one is wise to carefully have every city’s needs attended to with prodigious delegation of rule. We are happy to see that you have mastered this craft.”

Agenda-based Disapproval: “The populace of your cities would be much happier if their ruler did not have to divide their attention between them all at once. Surely there are worthy appointees in your court to oversee the day-to-day business?”

Attacked: “We will not allow this fair union to be threatened by your pathetic armies. If it is war you bring to us, you shall receive it back twofold.”

Declares War: “The Danes are no stranger to war, though now we are more careful about when we employ it. Unfortunately for you, the time to strike is now.”

Defeated: “Let us not pretend any longer. Our union, our dreams, are broken. Let us be done with it.”

Civilopedia Quote: “Let this union of three crowns be united now in us and in our line.”
I could find absolutely no quotes attributed to Margaret I, so I had to make one up that sounds fitting.

Unvoiced Lines:

Invitation to Capital:
“If you would but visit our capital, we could show you how our shipwrights craft marvelous trade cogs and warships alike.”

Invitation to City: “Perhaps you will come to visit our nearby city? There is a new toy of sorts, some kind of building block, that is proving quite popular.”

Sends Delegation: “It is good to see you again. We have sent a number of delegates to your capital bearing some smørrebrød, stegt flæsk, and akvavit. Oh, and of course, some candles to bring some hygge into your halls.”

Accepts Delegation: “It was an honor to host your delegates. We hope they will come and visit again sometime.”

Rejects Delegation: “We cannot spare the time to babysit your envoys.”

Accepts Declaration of Friendship: “An alliance with you is truly a wise choice.”

Rejects Declaration of Friendship: “We must reject your kind offer for now, unfortunately.”

Offers Friendship: “Much as the Danes found strong allies in their northern neighbors, we likewise believe your empire to be a fitting friend and ally.”

Player Accepts Offer of Friendship: "With the support of three crowns, you have our hand in friendship."

Players Rejects Offer of Friendship: "We politely encourage you to reconsider."

Trade Deal Accepted: “Yes, thank you.”

Too Many Troops Near Border: “We believe your armies have drawn a bit too close to our sovereign borders. Might we gently remind you of the furore Normannorum?”

Denounced by Player: “The foolish words of a foolish mind will not make our people fear.”

Denounces Player: “When a fool cannot keep a civil tongue in their head, it is sometimes wisest to cut it out.”

Denmark's Details
Start bias: Tier 1 towards Coast
Ideal victory types: Domination
Jerseys:
Denmark default.png
Denmark alt 1.png
Denmark alt 2.png
Denmark alt 3.png

The white-on-red Nordic cross has been used by Danish monarchs since the 14th Century, and Denmark's flag is the oldest national flag still in use.
The second jersey represents the flag of the Kalmar Union, and the fourth jersey represents the flag of the Faroe Islands, a Danish territory.

City list:
Spoiler Danish Cities :

🌟Copenhagen
Odense
Roskilde
Aarhus
Esbjerg
Kolding
Horsens
Billund
Sønderborg
Viborg
Ribe
Skagen
Skive
Slagelse
Silkeborg
Holbæk
Sorø
Tønder
Nyborg
Kalundborg
Albertslund
Greve Strand
Helsingør
Randers
Svendborg
Vejle
Holstebro
Fredericia
Haderslev
Middelfart

Citizen list:
Spoiler Danish Citizens :

Males
Alvar
Bróðir
Gunnbjørn
Halfdan
Ivar
Knut
Ragnarr
Sweyn
Tryggve
Vigge

Females
Alfhild
Aslaug
Eivor
Guðrún
Hjordis
Iðunn
Revna
Sif
Yrsa

Modern Males
Hans
Jens
Kristian
Mads
Mikkel
Morten
Rasmus
Søren
Tord
Valdemar

Modern Females
Alva
Hanne
Jette
Kaja
Kirsten
Lene
Luna
Marianne
Mette
Thordis

River names: Gudenå River, Skjern River, Storå Creek, Odense River, Kongeå River, Uggerby River, Varde River, Suså River, Vidå River, Vejle River, Mølleå River, Hay River...
Lake names: Esrum Lake, Arresø, Mossø, Saltbæk Vig, Furesø, Tystrup Sø, Skanderborg Sø, Tissø, Søndersø, Julsø, Tømmerby Fjord, Tange Sø, Almind Lake, Teglgårdssøen, Slåensø, Lake Borresø...
Sea/Ocean names: Baltic Sea, North Sea, Wadden Sea, Greenland Sea, Denmark Strait, Little Belt, Helnæs Bugt, Genner Bugt, Aabenraa Fjord, Als Fjord, Augustenborg Fjord, Vemmingbund, Sønderborg Bugt, Hørup Hav...
Mountain Range names: Watkins Range, Ejnar Mikkelsen Fjeld, Borgentinde, Crown Prince Frederick Range, Isua Greenstone Belt...

Civilization theme: Ramund
A Danish folk song, based on the medieval tale of "Ramund den Unge", a young man whose boldness allowed him to face down giants while wearing silken armor.
I feel like a version similar to this famous cover would work well, perhaps with the vocal parts replaced by violin/viola. Unfortunately, I couldn't find very many variations on the song, but I did manage to track down a simple (and short) guitar cover to give an idea of what other eras' themes might work off of.
Examples for Inspiration: "Medieval Era"

Denmark has probably been the hardest civ to design for this pack thus far (and I have a feeling it won't hold that title for long.) Trying to figure out how to design bits and pieces that pulled from the various parts of Scandinavian history and heritage without crossing over into Norway or Sweden too much (even though Margaret did technically rule over all three.) I also didn't just want to create a derivative, generic "Viking" civilization. Ultimately, I've had an interesting time learning about Danish history, as well as the Kalmar Union, and I hope I've handled it here with proper respect.

Huscarl's Details
Era: Medieval
Promotion Tree: Melee
Upgrades from: Swordsman
Upgrades to: Musketman
Unlocks with: Apprenticeship
Obsolete with: Replaceable Parts

Cost:
•20 Iron
•200 Production
•660 Gold
•3 Gold maintenance cost
Stats:
•Movement: 2
•Melee: 55
•Sight: 2

Købstad's Details
Unlocked by: Currency
Pillage award: Gold
Production cost: 54
Yields:
•+1 Great Merchant point per turn
•+2 Gold from each adjacent River and Harbor
•+2 Gold from each adjacent Pamukkale tile
•+1 Gold from every 2 adjacent District tiles
Citizen Yields: +4 Gold per citizen
Trade Yields:
•Domestic destination: +1 Production
•International destination: +3 Gold
Unlocks
Buildings:
•Market
•Bank
•Stock Exchange
Projects:
•Commercial Hub Investment
Other:
•+1 Trade Route capacity
•+1 Population
•Grants a 50% discount to purchasing naval units with Gold if adjacent to a Harbor
•Grants a 50% discount to purchasing land military and support units with Gold if adjacent to an Encampment
•Grants a 50% discount to purchasing buildings and civilian units with Gold if adjacent to a City Center
•All Købstad buildings have a +25% upkeep cost

Last edited:
Top Bottom