Navies still have only situational use in gods and kings

With battleships was it very easy to blast the indians and everyone on the archipelo, this was an easy domination victory. I didn't build enough of those ranged ships before.

You're welcome. Build them as galeasses and by the time theyre battleships... Look out.

Navies are just naturally sea-tuational.
You should be keelhauled for that one. :lol:

The thing I hate about ships is how they cannot heal in hostile or neutral waters... Unless they're Sea Beggars or highly promoted ofc. Although the AI is stupid with its ships, it has enough of them to do serious damage, and there are no choke points on the ocean... And don't get me started about city bombardment! :gripe: Perhaps I should simply build more ships... But I do play mostly continental maps where they're not *that* necessary, so I'm reluctant to commit to massive navy-building.

You should be keelhauled for that one. :lol:

The thing I hate about ships is how they cannot heal in hostile or neutral waters... Unless they're Sea Beggars or highly promoted ofc. Although the AI is stupid with its ships, it has enough of them to do serious damage, and there are no choke points on the ocean... And don't get me started about city bombardment! :gripe: Perhaps I should simply build more ships... But I do play mostly continental maps where they're not *that* necessary, so I'm reluctant to commit to massive navy-building.

I really feel like the Great Admiral should be able to make some kind of offshore platform where friendly naval units can repair. Would work just like a citadel by providing a defensive boost to the unit stationed on it, adds the six tiles around it to your "cultural borders," and can't be used in enemy territory.

Maybe to make it more balanced allow enemy units to pillage it and once pillaged it is completely destroyed, including the borders that it created.

I really feel like the Great Admiral should be able to make some kind of offshore platform where friendly naval units can repair. Would work just like a citadel by providing a defensive boost to the unit stationed on it, adds the six tiles around it to your "cultural borders," and can't be used in enemy territory.

Maybe to make it more balanced allow enemy units to pillage it and once pillaged it is completely destroyed, including the borders that it created.

To get around this I've had to :

Build cities that I most likely would not have built.
Befriended city states or Civs I would not have otherwise befriended.

I liked having to make the compromises in order to support a naval assault on a faraway continent.

For some reason I don't like it being built on an ocean tile. I could go for the admiral if it were limited to a landmass. Almost like founding a city, but less impact to happy and no impact to social policies. Only buildings available are military structures.

Naval ranged are even more overpowered than land ranged, and ironclads are overpowered.

I assume the peeps that say navies are useless just play pangea all the time.

Naval ranged are even more overpowered than land ranged, and ironclads are overpowered.

I assume the peeps that say navies are useless just play pangea all the time.

Thing is, historically, technological advances in shipbuilding were overpowering in the truest sense of the word. Almost unlike any land based advances I can think of (people may point out Gustavus Adolphus' tactical innovations, or those of Maurice of Nassau/Napoleon or the Spanish Tercio etc) an advance in shipbuilding could make other countries entire navies obsolete OVERNIGHT!! Just look at the invention of the Ironclad with the USS Monitor and CSS Virginia, or how HMS Warrior arguably kept peace between France and Britain for 20 years simply by virtue of it existing, or the importance of HMS Dreadnought.

If naval units are overpowered then I'm all for it!!

Just played a small continents game with England where I cleared the entire map except for one capital and two extra cities. From the time I got Ship of the Line and finished it was only ~50 turns, standard speed. That is about 20 cities conquered, an average of 2-3 turns per city including travel time. Not even bomber stacks with tank support could move that fast.

Dunno about you guys, but someone saying "Navies are only useful on the coasts" is not exactly a revelation to me.

So basically you are complaining that navies are only good at sea.

Hm. :shifty:

To quote a marine, "I like you Navy boys. Whenever we have to go somewhere to fight, you folks always give us a ride."

If anything the navy in Civ 5 is more powerful than it is in reality. In Civ 5 G&K the navy can not only carry missiles and planes and nukes, just like in real life, but can also take any coastal city without anything more than the crew on board. The only thing it doesn't do is go amphibious and take all the inland cities too.

You forgot the Navy response to that quote, "and when your getting your butt handed to you, we're more than happy to help out with NGFS" :D

Or make an actual naval repair ship like the USN has. Should be relatively simple unit to make, slow speed, medic II, can't move while healing, low def ( non-combatant), or something similar along those lines.

The Great Admiral idea is interesting, especially if you used it similar to a GG. Should make formations of naval units fun if your wanting the bonus. Especially if the enemy has ships on the pond as well.

Top Bottom