Neanderthal Warriors can't attack a city

Serenity2016

Chieftain
Hello guys,

I can't thank you enough for making this mod. It really is something special. I've never thought that running a tribe of cavemen savages could be so much fun.

Now, to my question:

I've built "Neanderthal Culture" in my capital and promptly trained three Neanderthal Warrior units, thinking that I would be able to wreck my opponents without any diplomatic penalties (these warriors have hidden nationality). However, I am not able to attack my opponent's city (whom I am at peace at the moment), and the warriors simply stroll into it without fighting. I've made sure that they are visible (through stand out option). Pillaging works ok.

Is it working as intended? Did I miss anything?

Thanks!

However, I am not able to attack my opponent's city (whom I am at peace at the moment), and the warriors simply stroll into it without fighting.

I am not sure but I think everything is O.K. Similar units are e.g. Warlords: they may attack units, pillage etc. but without a war they cannot attack a city. They also cannot enter a Fortress (but they can attack the units inside).

If a Neanderthal Warrior captures a city, it becomes Barbarian. If you have Barb Civs on, be sure not to leave any units in a size 3+ city at the end of turn, because it may form a new civ and all units inside disappear.

S.

Ah, ok, thank you for making this clear, Stachnie.

It actually makes sense, because otherwise such units would be a bit overpowered. It could have been fun, however...

The Neanderthal Warrior hasn't been fully evaluated to fall in line with recent rule adjustments. The intention was/is still to make them much more similar to the bandit units. They would become capable of capturing cities this way but yes, they would be captured for the barbarian player. Furthermore, a bugfix recently made will make the ability of walls to enforce that defense must be reduced to attack the city will now affect such ruffians and strike teams whereas previously it had been ignored. This will reduce the effectiveness of such attempts but not eliminate it - will simply require the capturing of some siege weapons with HN units and not bringing those siege weapons back into your borders ever. You'll then be able to use them to take down the city defenses.

We'll hopefully get to the reevaluation of the Neanderthal Warrior soon.

They would become capable of capturing cities this way but yes, they would be captured for the barbarian player. Furthermore, a bugfix recently made will make the ability of walls to enforce that defense must be reduced to attack the city will now affect such ruffians and strike teams whereas previously it had been ignored. This will reduce the effectiveness of such attempts but not eliminate it - will simply require the capturing of some siege weapons with HN units and not bringing those siege weapons back into your borders ever. You'll then be able to use them to take down the city defenses.

That would be awesome! It already is, but you can't have enough of good stuff!

Anyway, for now I was quite satisfied with terrorising my helpless enemy with these warriors, ruining his territories with pillaging, blocking all his units in his city and denying him access to the most productive plots.

Top Bottom