(1.0.12.28) Barbarians Not Attacking City Center?

Urlance Woolsbane

Chieftain
I started playing Civ VI again, after an absence of a few months, and I've noticed something strange: Barbarians attack my units and plunder my improvements, but, when they come right next to my city center, they sit there indefinitely doing nothing, until I kill them, whereas I recall barbarians razing my cities and even attacking my capital's center (though it can't be razed), prior to the recent updates. The one factor I can think of is that I'm playing with Barbarian Clans mode off this time around, so maybe default barbs are just a bit tamer, but there's no mention of that on the wiki. The only mod I'm using is Tomatekh's Historical Religions. Is this a bug or am I just missing something?

The default barbs are working fine for me. They were definitely attacking my capital. I just started a game earlier and they were hitting it. I think they do still raze cities. They go for mine but by the time I've got another city out I'm better defended. I'm not familiar with that mod, but perhaps that's your issue.

The default barbs are working fine for me. They were definitely attacking my capital. I just started a game earlier and they were hitting it. I think they do still raze cities. They go for mine but by the time I've got another city out I'm better defended. I'm not familiar with that mod, but perhaps that's your issue.
It only adds religions and changes some leaders' religious preferences, so I'd be surprised if it somehow affected barbarian-AI

I play without Barbarian Clans mode and the barbarians seem even more aggressive than I remember. I had a city razed yesterday by them.

I agree, they seem more aggressive than I remember. I only started playing again after some months away and they have absolutely been giving me a sad time. I'm trying new Arabia and I'm guessing he has a start bias near horses because the horse barbs and archers from early on were really slowing my progression. I play on Marathon and sometimes the horses were spawning every 2 turns and I couldn't buy or build units enough to get them under control at first. I don't think the barbs scale properly on Marathon because you can get overwhelmed by them pretty fast.

this is why I tried Barbarians Clans mode like once and then immediately turned it off; a barbarian camp was spawning archers every 2 turns and I simply. could. not. stop. them.
not pleasant at all.
Sorry to hear that.. sounds like a bunch of that uu from Nubia.

this is why I tried Barbarians Clans mode like once and then immediately turned it off; a barbarian camp was spawning archers every 2 turns and I simply. could. not. stop. them.
not pleasant at all.
Happens to me as well, all the time. Playing as Germany today, I had a good and peaceful early game and then came eight(!) barb horsemen from a camp I had not even found yet: They killed more than half of my units a few turns, pillaged three districts and my two traders, captured two builders, and my second largest city was one turn away from destruction. Rage quit, I could not take it any more. And things like this happen in most games, not only "now and then". (OMG I'm starting to hate the developers for being so stubborn and not fixing the aggressvie barbarians. Or at least give us one more game OPTION, not only "none at all" or "insanely aggressive".)
Regarding clans mode: Unfortunately this game mode is your only chance to ensure the existence of some city states in the game. The AI kills the city states like they always did.

I agree with you, I wish there was a setting like we had in the past where we could select the intensity level of barbs we wanted.

Top Bottom