Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Journals - Kurt Cobain

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Discworld Series - Terry Pratchett

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

georgestow

Proud to be Awesome
Anyone remember those 7 book wonders I did? And then those 7 holy book wonders I did? Well if you don't, check my graphics library (in signature) for them.
Anyway, I like PCX making and I've decided to make another set of these. But I've made those two in sets of 7, so I'm going to do this in a set of 7 too. But I want you guys to pick which ones I want. So, I've gone through the old thread and picked out almost all of the books from there, added a couple of extra suggestions, and now there is a poll!
So, vote for which one you'd like me to make, comment if you want. If you have any other suggestions, please don't hesitate to post and say.

Alfred Thayer Mahan's The Influence of Sea Power Upon History, which provided the inspiration to Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany for German fleet expansion and acquisition of overseas colonies, and also was the conceptual basis for American naval expansion and overseas acquisitions in the 1890s and early 1900s. One of the least known of all books that have had a major affect on history.

Niccolo Machiavelli's The Prince, the first treatise on political science and still highly useful in understanding the basic principals of how one's governs. I reread it an average of once a year.

John Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion and/or Systematic Theology, as critical to the Protestant Reformation as Luther's works.

Carl von Clausewitz Vom Krieg (On War), used and misused by legions of military strategists and would-be strategists since its publication.

Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's Travels, some of the most searing satire ever written, disguised as a parody of traveler's tales.

Jules Verne's Mysterious Island, a marvelous tale in the unabridged edition of how to build a civilization from scratch when all you have is knowledge and raw materials.

Marco Polo's The Travels of Marco Polo, the book that introduced Europe to the Far East, and inspired a host of explorers to try and find an easier way to get there, not the least of which was Christopher Columbus.

That makes seven, but I have more ideas, if you are interested.

Edit Note: Except for The Travels of Marco Polo, I have read all of the books I have listed, along with 12 of those on Georgestow's list.

I second 'The Prince' and 'The Travels of Marco Polo' Suggestions by Timerover.

The Communist Manifesto is top of my list, but I'm probably somewhat biased. Though I think even if your a rabid anti-communist you can't deny it's impact on history.

The Mahabharata would be my second choice from your list.

Thanks George your work is always appreciated!

Okay, well due to the demand for various books, I might be tempted to do two more book packs, and one more holy book pack.
To start with, I'm going to do a book pack based on this poll. Then I'll do a holy book pack (which can include the Book of Mormon), then run another poll, including the suggestions in this thread and some of the ones not done in the next pack to decide what goes into the (maybe) final pack.

This is all just a rough plan, I might not get round to any of it. Either way, I'm going to wait a little longer until 7 books stand out as wanting to be made. Currently, I count 8 that have more than or equal to 4 votes, so once 7 become more apparant, I'll get started. Hopefully. =D

Clausewitz's manuals would come in handy instead of the Art of War which Firaxis has already made (crappily, but a new wonder's better than redoing an old one IMO).

Okay, I make it that 7 have rose above the others to be made, but public choice. So, for this pack, I shall be making:
Around the World In Eighty Days - Jules Verne
The Iliad and the Odyssey - Homer
The Aeneid - Virgil
The Communist Manifesto - Marx and Engels
The Art of War - Sun Tzu
The Republic - Plato
Mahabharata - Vyasa

Happy? =D

Top Bottom