Unit upgrades: multiples - Random or in sequence?

modmyciv

Warlord
Hello folks,

Got a building that summons a plain unit (a summoning spell) that get upgraded to a creature depending which Civ you are. I've noticed that if you accedentaly have two possible upgrades you get both in turn, so hit on the idea of letting all civs getting all the creatures. So, is it random, or in a sequence (which I suspect) . If so how is the sequence ordered? Alphabetic maybe. Does it go through th list and back to the start? Anybody know before I start fiddling. Cheers.

CML

Units upgrade in a chain, with the last along in the chain available being the one that they upgrade to.

So hypothetically if you had:
Warrior -> Upgrades to Swordsman (available to France) -> Upgrades to Legion (available to Rome) -> Upgrades to Gaulish Swordsman (available to France, Celts)

then all things being equal, the warrior would upgrade to the Legion for Rome, the Gaulish Swordsman for France and Celts, and it would skip the regular Swordsman for France because they have a unit available further up the chain.

A unit cannot be set to upgrade to more than one unit, so it has to go through a chain like such. Multiple units can upgrade to the same unit, so the upgrade chains can merge, but the upgrade chains can't ever split.

If the creatures that are upgraded from the summoning spell should not be buildable normally, but can only be received by upgrading the spell unit, you should consider to use the Advanced Autoproduction, that I explained here many years ago by giving the different creatures the king flag, but not the king strategy. The CCM mods are using this method heavily.

Cheers - yes all the units are all Kings, simple immobile spell thing summoned, then upgradable to a chain, each assigned to a different civ - so each gets intersting creatures, but not too many. Sounds as if I could change it so each got a selection of creatures in order, which could be fun. If I reduce the cost it'll encourage upgrading, zero seems a little generous perhaps. I got caight out by the load bug too, took a little while to work that out :)

Top Bottom