New challenge: Conquest victories

Interesting, because for all but the last two turns France and all of my vassals (Mongolia, Khmer, Inca, Mali) were Solid. Then in one turn I went straight to collapsing and had to liberate a bunch of cities to each vassal to get back up to Stable/Shaky, which subsequently sent each of my vassals into Collapsing on the following turn - when I won.

There weren't any civs left to give cities to on my last turn! I destroyed Turkey and its vassal India simultaneously and they weren't talking to me to even consider accepting cities at this time.

That's why you need a civ who's down to 1-2 cities, not a vassal of anybody, and whom you've made peace about 10 moves ago, to whom you can continuously give trash cities in the Arctic and Sahara. When you're finished with Turkey/India, then just swoop back and win.

Then again, Rhye corrected this in the new patch I think and civs won't accept any more trash cities.:(

This Roman emperor conquest game is really hard. I've already had an Aztec respawn on my hands. It's 1896, and I'm barely 2 turns from Assembly Line (don't even have Medicine or Railroad yet), and all my techs were stolen from the Turks (my vassals) who already have combustion and medicine. I did get Electricity and Radio and have built all the wonders associated with them already. Mongolia/China is going to turn out to be one big fight, while Vikings are also running strong. Mali and Ethiopia are always on the verge of collapse, while India and Inca (my vassals too) are semistable. I have America as a virtual vassal after I killed all their initial units with superpromoted cannon, thus I can keep all of America safely without risk of respawn.

No multiple OPs in the future means that this is going to be impossible because my economy is always on the verge of collapse (even though I'm running the maximal number of cottages which have all grown into towns for eons). I really wonder what's so wrong with multiple OPs. I still think the economy for 3000BC civs are impossibly hard. :mad:

The 2 great stacks looking across the river. Note that Turkey has kindly given me oil (read: I demanded them from a voluntary vassal) so I don't have to research combustion, and I'm about to build my first tank. Also, my next project to steal is fission, and unfortunately since I don't have artillery, it'll be at least another 20 years before Rocketry is done.

I'm also in war against Ethiopia who doesn't have Assembly Line yet. Mali is neutral and absorbing cities for me in Africa.

My Chariots are good for medic duty, too expensive to upgrade.:lol:

This has got to be the most difficult game I've ever played.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0275.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0275.JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 705
I can never understand why the AI researches techs the way they do. Mongolia got Artillery, Combustion, Flight, Industrialism, Rocketry, and...Plastics??!! (Maybe that's because they didn't have uranium and Mali doesn't want to trade them for it, and they were hoping to get mech infantry) Also, they never build any bombers, always cheap fighters. So my 10 tactical nukes and 3 ICBMs decimated their armies (after the epic battle across no man's land NE of Mandagovi). Japan was shortly made mincemeat of and Mali collapsed after losing 6 cities. Now the final hard part is to ensure no respawns (Babylon was subdued but India is only shaky and they have a lot of Mongolia, China and Khmer) and about 8 independent cities to go.

Had a really bad conference in 1968: Mali had already collapsed, but resurrected because their phantom government got a city from conference, while Japan had Ulaangom given to them (with Inca approving!) making them harder to kill since I had just moved all troops away from central Asia.

I think this game was particularly hard because I didn't allow the Americans to have a single city, so they can't accept any cities in NAm, and I only built 2 OPs (after I lost Mexico City to a respawn I built another one in Moscow, and when the Russians respawned, I conquered Moscow the same move, and my OP was still intact!:mad:).

If anybody can do an Emperor conquest for the 3000BC civs with the new patch other than Rome, he/she will be my hero forever.

China might have a chance no?

Never again shall we see the likes of these empires as emperor, with the new patch. Sigh...:cry:

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0277.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0277.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 644
That's why you need a civ who's down to 1-2 cities, not a vassal of anybody, and whom you've made peace about 10 moves ago, to whom you can continuously give trash cities in the Arctic and Sahara. When you're finished with Turkey/India, then just swoop back and win.

Then again, Rhye corrected this in the new patch I think and civs won't accept any more trash cities.:(

Really, did I? I don't remember this fix

Never again shall we see the likes of these empires as emperor, with the new patch. Sigh...:cry:

now you're making me feel guilty...
I allowed one more vassal, no?

I'm not as pessimistic about conquest possibilities under 1.182 as AnotherPacifist actually, from my first experiences with 1.182.

I played Japan from the 3000BC start until the 1400s when I had to stop (for domestic reasons only) earlier today. I was an era ahead of the nearest civ, got both conqueror events, was Very Solid without using any Golden Ages to date (just about to complete Taj Mahal for my first) and I had Aztecs, Incas, Mongols, Germany and Mali as my vassals, three of which were voluntary. I don't need any defensive pacts when nobody else has Astronomy and I have Rifling - they can't touch me.

The extra vassal is going to be of much more assistance in aiming for a conquest victory than might otherwise be expected. It allows you to build up a sizable military force in several regions of the world and keep them close to the cities that you need to invade when you flick the "total war" switch.

I think the conquest push just has to be done faster now given the recent stability changes, but may prove easier to pull off because of the extra vassal allowance.

The no tech-brokering is the biggest change that I found overall, and the effect on my Japanese game was to slow down the rest of the world's tech pace while I charged on ahead in "splendid isolation". I'll let you know if I can pull off a conquest with Japan from this game, but it looks likely to me that it should be possible.

I did say emperor, didn't I? Monarch should still be possible if not easier for the Asian civs, but harder for France and Vikings.

The rate of research for emperor is not going to allow the 3000BC civs to even survive, much less dominate or conquer.

And before anybody says anything, no, I didn't use the multiple GA trick (it's the most recent patch after all): Xi'an had built the OP, I used 3 great people, and I have inherited the Mausoleum from China. I'm actually about to get another 12 turns of GA by razing just 1 more city (that little newly independent city SW of Ning-hsia looks tasty).

Too bad I don't even have steel, medicine, or fission, but I can probably steal from America (my only vassal so far costing me a war with Britain) easily. Didn't get either conqueror event (Incans actually collapsed under invasion from France, and guess what, they vassalized to them as soon as they respawned). My next target should probably be France/Aztecs to clear North America. I have defensive pacts with Portugal, Russia, India.

Being able to get 5 vassals helps quite a bit, because you're bound to have a neighboring vassal that can absorb cities. Ethiopia I had conquered to the last city before they would vassalize, and their empire expanded in the last 2 turns to enclose a lot of Africa.

I think stability in general went up a lot. I was able to liberate cities without any of my vassals being anything other than solid, with America even having cities in most of South America and France with all of Hispania and kept Italy without a respawn even during their most unstable stage.

Somebody please remind me AGAIN never to have England as a vassal (all they accepted was Rekjavik, even after the Dutch were gone from Australia and South Africa).

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0285.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0285.JPG
    263.9 KB · Views: 555
Moved to new thread

So Huayna Capac (or Wayna Qhapaq as he's spelled in the revised Quechua) decided not to die and let his two sons ruin his empire. America is colonized with the 3 most important cities, and he's 4th in score (even though still very behind in science and still in HR/Slavery). An early war with the Aztecs who attacked for no reason nearly cost him New Orleans, but he managed to hold on to it. Now we've met the Americans who may not be too impressed with our science, but hopefully England will declare war on him and Washington will be our vassal.

Plague has just struck Vitcos so ready for a big dive in score...:(

I see you built Caqontambu (or something like that) on the Stone rather than a city on the Copper immediaetly to the north. I also choose the stone tile over the copper (it gets the whale and the grassland copper in the FC) but I surprised to read your wiki guide which recommends the northern copper tile.

Thoughts?

That needs to be amended--the city on the stone captures both coppers. Either way it grows really too slowly for my taste--if it weren't for those mountains and the fact I need another city for science, I would have sent him to Montevideo early on. (The Incan guide was written relatively early in my career)

I'm finally top in score, and hopefully about to build the Pentagon (unless England or Germany beats me to it) and the Radio wonders. I notice that Russia and Turkey have defensive pacts, while I'm allied with Germany and Spain. So I declare war on Turkey (who happens to be at war with Japan and therefore I can open borders with them) and watch the Old World tear each other to pieces.

The only problem is that I still have this 100 year plague which seems to be caught in a loop--the 2 cities in the south get reinfected again and again and can't grow at all. I finally stole medicine but I think it doesn't affect cities which already have the plague. This is also benefiting the Aztecs who have no plague after I got it.

Still no vassals yet which sucks for happiness (thank God I have Wembley), but it allowed me to run science at 90% most of the 19th century. However, even America has infantry now. The 5 vassals I need are:
America
either Spain or a respawned France
China
Mali (after Arabia collapses hopefully)
either Russia or Mongolia

All this in good time.

Top Bottom