New cpu questions . . .

ummmm........

Extremely normal.
I currently have two desktops, one with an x99 paired to an i7-5820k and another z77 paired to an i7-3770k. I'm in the process of building a third desktop and I've budgeted around 400-500 USD for the motherboard and cpu. I have two questions: First, what's the 'best' I can do in that price range, and second would the resulting setup be better than either of my existing desktops . . ?

I know expected use is impt so I'll be using it to play games -- mostly older games atm, but that may change -- and stream video. As to why I'm building a third desktop, it's just for fun. Some ppl have cats, I have desktops. Don't judge me . . .

Thx for reply. I'd never seen logical increments before someone turned me on to it last night and it is great. For what I do it seems like I just need max clock speed and additional threads are not helpful, so I landed on the i5 7640X. Good bad or indifferent . . ?

I looked at the 8600k but it seems to be out of stock everywhere. It is also pretty close to my price ceiling, though not quite out of reach. What about the i3 7350k or 8350k? The more I look at it the more it seems like I don't really need more than an i3 . . .

I got the 7600k bc I was tired of thinking about which one to get. I think the 7350k would have been fine for my uses, but the i5 was in budget so I took it in the name of 'future-proofing', though in my experience that never works and is how I ended up with the two i7s to start with . . .

So thread resolved, thanks for replies . . .

Top Bottom